Notices

Twin Turbo's

Old 07-13-2008, 11:18 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question How???????????????????????

Originally Posted by FROGMAN524
I have heard that turbo motors can go much longer between rebuilds . It's funny to me seeing every one of these exotic poweboats running the same Mercury 1075's when they have to be rebuilt every 25 or 50 hours. Regardless, it's 20 or 25k a pop for a rebuild.
The rebuild on a Mercury Racing 1075SCI is 100 hours and more than that if you have a bunch of idle time or low RPM use................... and the cost is just under $25,000.00 to rebuild if there is nothing else wrong with it.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I am convinced. I am going to do it. I'll probably do it next winter because I have to finish my Chevy first or the wife will kill me if I start another project. There will be plenty of room to do it in my boat because I only have one motor.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There are a number of guys on performance boats that have a bunch of turbo experiance in boats. Look in the forced induction section.

Darrell.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by niceguy
Turbos are easier on crank, rods, pistons, etc. I have wondered the same thing myself.... why not more of them around, especially on race boats. I have a small block chevy with one 106mm turbo in my drag car and it makes over 2200hp with almost no maintenance at all. Now like Chris was saying, it is a more complicated and expensive (upfront anyway) to install and tune.... but once you get it close, it would make rediculous power and be reliable.

The biggest problem would be breaking drives once the boost started coming on hard.
Hey I boat sometimes in Kemah, would like to checkout that drag car sometime maybe, I also have some friends that run 1/4 mile at houston raceway park maybe see ya there one day.
Mark
Old 07-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Registered

I used turbo motors in my boats for years. All mine then were carburated, but now I think all the builders use EFI. Major drawback is cost. Exhaust manifolds run a lot more, inner coolers, oil coolers, etc. One major advantage besides gobs of horsepower is they act a lot like mufflers, are far more acceptable where there may be noise problems.
Gale Banks was a pioneer in the marine industry back then, along with Bill Dunsmore (Race Aero) which became Gentry then Brummett. By coincedence I saw Carson Brummett at Long Beach practicing for the Catalina Ski Race this morning (7/13/8). Todays turbo systems are a beautiful sight to see, and something else to hear...
Old 07-13-2008, 08:51 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Tom Gentry was big into it for a while. We have a pair of his 509 Twin Turbo motors in his old Hacker. Run great but not much low end torque.They would have trouble getting a raceboat on plane.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by blume
The rebuild on a Mercury Racing 1075SCI is 100 hours and more than that if you have a bunch of idle time or low RPM use................... and the cost is just under $25,000.00 to rebuild if there is nothing else wrong with it.
Thanks for the correction.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:09 PM
Registered

http://www.dereberyperformancemarine.com/Beyond.html
Old 07-13-2008, 09:13 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I have always heard that the issue with turbos in boats is the heat generated in the exhaust system that is not very safe in an enclosed boat hatch. Specially for headers in big blocks.

This said our Azimut has Turbo diesels and that runs fine.

I have seen and owned my share of cars with turbos that after a good run have red glowing exhaust and turbo housing, not something I would want under a fiberglass hatch of a boat. Then again I am positive there are solutions for that. Blowers do not have lag either as oppose to Turbos.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:29 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Originally Posted by GLH
Blowers do not have lag either as oppose to Turbos.

Thats what should make them well suited to the type of boats many OSO'ers run. These are not drag boats, and really need their power up top to spin big props. I would think the low end torque of big cube turbo motor would be more than sufficient to get the boat started, at least untill you begin to spool up at bit. Easier on drives too.

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.