Engine Alarm constant over 4500 rpm >

Engine Alarm constant over 4500 rpm

Notices

Engine Alarm constant over 4500 rpm

Old 07-13-2008, 09:23 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes.....IAC. You're in a soft alarm. 2 beeps per minute tells you it's a soft non-critial issue. At 4500 it goes into a soft guardian mode reducing your avaialable horsepower down to 90% and the alrm goes constant until you back it down to 1100 rpm where it goes back to the 2 beep deal. Rough idle is another indicator i.e. IDLE air control.

It's located looking aft, on the top rear of the motor near the throttle linkage mount. Kinda looks like a little thermostat. Two allen wrench type screws holds it on and a electrical connector. Simple, somewhat cheap and easy.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Magicfloat
Just got a call from a friend and tech guy,he said IAC(Idle air control)He said same symptoms on 3 boats recently,IAC solved it.I trust what he tells me.The IAC is not very expensive and easy to change out.
Tell your friend its 4 boats in a row installed a new one this morning and its is now running great.Thanks to everyone for your help Tim
Old 07-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Registered

Tim, did it set any codes? I would really like to know because we still don't know what was up with the 271
Old 07-13-2008, 02:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cosmic12
Tim, did it set any codes? I would really like to know because we still don't know what was up with the 271
Never used the scan tool,The guy who owns the marina was not around so I just put on a new one.If yours does it again I would just change it
Old 07-13-2008, 03:50 PM
Registered

Thanks, Never has done it again but we will be look'n for it. Glad it was an easy fix for ya. By the way whatever happened with Micky Ds ?
Old 07-13-2008, 07:50 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have a Smartcraft engine, sometimes a bad IAC sounds the beeper, but a code does not always come up. I have also seen bad senders for the sea water pump pressure. The scan tool said it had 62 Lbs. at idle. No way a hose clamp could hold pressure like that or the hose not blowing up like a balloon.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Registered

Wish I had seen this thread a week ago. Had the exact same symptoms, and my marina shop chased the gremlin for a couple of hours before swapping the (good) starboard IAC to the (bad) portside. Viola! Problem solved, one new IAC for the portside and I'm back on the water.

Frustrating though, since I've only had about 5 days on the water this summer and was really looking forward to getting out that day. IAC problem hit the moment I splashed that day...
Old 09-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Registered

Its common for the 6.2s from what I have been told.I actually keep a spare with me.I got a lot of help from OSO and I also goggled the symptoms "engine alarm 6.2" went into a bunch of other boating forms.Which said IAC valve.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
Its common for the 6.2s from what I have been told.
It's a real common problem on all the ECM/PCM555 engines. I believe that a lot of failures are caused by a restricted IAC muffler, which cause the IAC to run continuiously at 100% Duty Cycle and overheat.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:37 AM
Registered

Unbelievable. Port side IAC went bad on last trip out (4 weeks ago). Replaced it, all seemed fine until I went to do the 160 mile round trip to San Francisco Bay yesterday morning.

50 miles out the starboard engine started acting up in the same way, guardian mode, 2 beeps every 1 minute, etc. Had to limp home and am really p*ssed at myself for not replacing both IACs at the same time...

I will start carrying a spare on board.

Quick Reply: Engine Alarm constant over 4500 rpm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.