Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Broke a spring hanger on Trailer (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/190932-broke-spring-hanger-trailer.html)

Mackattack 07-13-2008 05:00 PM

Broke a spring hanger on Trailer

Today, I towed the 382 to a local lake (very small ) to see if I could get her off the trailer so I could change the bunks. The launch was not long enough, so I left. When leaving, I was westbound, and had to make a u turn on a 4 lane divided hwy to get eastbound. I pulled over onto the shoulder of the hwy, waited for lanes on both sides of road to clear, and proceded to turn. I started the turn on the westbound shoulder, and ended on the eastbound shoulder. Tried to make it as gradual as I could.

After the turn, I noticed that the front axle looked shifted a little. I could see the middle tire more than the front. I pulled over, and noticed that the front hanger had broke on the front axle on drivers side. The spring was still inserted into the second axle's hanger, so I chained it to the second axle and rolled it home.

I will have my welder repair it tomorrow.

Trailer is a 04 model Eagle, steel trailer. Previous owner had it in salt. Starting to get a little rust behind paint in places that the trailer was cut to install lights. I checked all other spring hangers, and all look ok.

When turning, the front axle takes the brunt of the twisting. Is there anything I could have done differently?

I need to get a alum trailer to replace the steel one. I live in Louisiana, and plan to boat in Fla.

trips2win 07-13-2008 05:18 PM

that sucks, salt water. what do you guys do?

Mackattack 07-13-2008 05:48 PM

I have not put it in Salt water yet, but plant to pull the boat to Fla in 2 weeks. Not sure if I will be able to get a crane to launch the boat.

I really don't want to launch with the trailer. I treated the inside of all the channels with OSFO, supposed to be a rust neutralizer.

As far as the spring hanger goes, I try to make my dump trailer drivers avoid u turns. The front axle always takes the load in a turn. I had one driver "Forget" to raise the dummy axle on a turn, and ripped it to pieces.

Jupiter Sunsation 07-13-2008 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mackattack (Post 2621674)
I have not put it in Salt water yet, but plant to pull the boat to Fla in 2 weeks. Not sure if I will be able to get a crane to launch the boat.

I really don't want to launch with the trailer. I treated the inside of all the channels with OSFO, supposed to be a rust neutralizer.

As far as the spring hanger goes, I try to make my dump trailer drivers avoid u turns. The front axle always takes the load in a turn. I had one driver "Forget" to raise the dummy axle on a turn, and ripped it to pieces.

Trailer sounds like the damage is done, just dunk it in salt water and rinse it the best you can. What is the life expectancy on a 8 year old steel trailer anyway?

Mackattack 07-13-2008 07:58 PM

Trailer is a 04, but I am sure a 08 would suffer the same if in salt for long enough.

Trailer is really not rusted that bad. I don't think that the spring hanger break was caused by the rust. The hangers and springs are not bad at all. Rust looks superficial, under between paint and steel.

copiercat 07-13-2008 08:10 PM

if you dunk it in salt you can kiss it goodbye soon especially if its already showing signs of rust, I give it about 1-2 years before its making big stains in the driveway..just get a new one before while you got something to sell otherwise its just a matter of time..if thats not an option i would suggest finding a fresh water ramp to back it into after the salt bath...

Jupiter Sunsation 07-13-2008 08:30 PM

[QUOTE=Mackattack;2621752]Trailer is a 04, but I am sure a 08 would suffer the same if in salt for long enough.

QUOTE]

I assumed since the boat was an 01, the trailer was too.

BDiggity 07-13-2008 08:53 PM

same thing happened on mine, but it was on the rear axle. it actually pushed forward against the middle tire & the friction between the 2 causes smoke & fire (according to my wife). i had to strap it to the rear crossmember to keep it from shifting. Taking to welder this coming up weekend.

baywatch 07-13-2008 10:10 PM

Thanks for posting I am going to check out my 02 38' Eagle trailer. Mine has never been in Salt and has very low miles with virtually no rust but if this is problem that is common with Eagle's I certainely want to catch it before I have a major problem.

Mackattack 07-14-2008 12:03 PM

My welder just called me, and said that the two forward spring hanger brackets are much smaller/thinner than the hanger brackets on the two rear axles. He jacked up the trailerpushed the axle back in place, and welded back to frame. I had him install a reinforcement to both front hangers.

hope this helps.