Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How many friends of yours have quit boating? >

How many friends of yours have quit boating?

Notices

How many friends of yours have quit boating?

Old 07-16-2008, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The economy and getting back into Boating NOT out:

I'm looking to get back into boating. I look at it as a great time to buy. But, the economy has made me decide on how and what to come back into it with.

Once owned a Fountain 27 Fever.
I will never own more than a single engine model - Due to engine expenses and fuel costs.
I will return with something like a 29 Fountain with a 500EFI.
Even thought about a 30 footer with outboards. Sure would be great on gas, maint. and light. Just wouldn't like the absense of the engine rumble and exhaust note.

I do have to buy a pontoon first to keep the wife off my back. So, I'm coming back with 2 boats.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

We should start a new thread....

How many of your friends or OSO members have boats but don't actually use them.... If "truthful" I think the results would be staggering....

Peace out!
Old 07-16-2008, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

It has seriously affected my ability to get back into boating. I have a funny feeling that when I do purchase again it will be drastically less than what my previous intentions were.

It's a sacrafice I'm willing to make just to be able to get back on the water though.

Buck
Old 07-16-2008, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All you have to do is look at poker runs and the drastic drop in the numbers of participants on average to see whats happening. Used to be a 60 boat fleet was the norm. Now, it seems that only select runs pull that number.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know this current climate has hurt some good people- and kept them off the water. At the same time, it's also keeping alot of the amateur-hour clowns off the water. Hopefully that makes it a safer, cleaner, more enjoyable sport for the rest of us.

The downside- I thing the DNR guys have less to deal with and they're using that time to hassle loud boats.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

I have two buddies with cruisers that are not putting their boats in at all!
Old 07-16-2008, 05:45 PM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

A few of my buddies using and traveling less than before and there a two that have not even seen the water yet this year. It is the cost of fuel for sure that is keeping them away along with their business being weaker.

Only the die hards who enjoy boating as a way of life and that has been me for the last 25 yrs.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have more hours/miles on this year than any recent year. The gas prices definitely suck, but I'm not going to make my payment and not use it! I never had any friends that owned boats, so I guess none of them have quit. Have a few that come with me every weekend. But no one actually has there own. Was hoping the new boat would afford me the oppurtunity to meet some new people, but not as of yet. That's okay though I have fun whether I'm alone or the boat is full
Old 07-16-2008, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

None...just bought a new boat (a 280 DA for the wife) and a buddy just picked up a 312 Rinker within the last couple of weeks...boatings never been cheap and i don't think it ever will...heck most of the cruisers down at the lake don't travel that far from their dock unless heading out for food and drinks.

I'll admit the traffic on the waters been down a bit most of the summer, probably due to the gas prices but there were more boats than ever last Sunday for some reason....

Last edited by fountain4play; 07-16-2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

I have 2 friends that have quit, but not admitting it. Both can afford it and still have their unused boats.
I've cut back, but still out every weekend.
The cost of gas isn't worth letting an exppensive boat sit unused. Thats a much bigger wast of money.

Quick Reply: How many friends of yours have quit boating?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.