Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How many friends of yours have quit boating? >

How many friends of yours have quit boating?

Notices

How many friends of yours have quit boating?

Old 07-16-2008, 11:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stopped drinking beer years ago and started boating but now that beer is cheeper than gas, well?????
Old 07-17-2008, 01:21 AM
Registered

Location: Ocean Pines, Maryland. Wish I was at MANGOS in MIAMI!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been pretty quiet in OC. This time last summer there would be a boat coming down the canal evey few minutes. You rarely see more than 1 a day now. Te bay is also empty for the most part.

My neighbors boats are all up on the lifts just sittin.

Like Chris said definetly defines the hardcore enthusiasts.

Of course mine is sitting also.........but I got a little work to do........... and I am going to have to feed four Outboards........yeah that was a good idea@#!!$$$$
Old 07-17-2008, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

we've been out most everyday the last two weeks, still have 50 gals left as of last night that's easily 2-3 more outings with a little running. cruise I can pull down 1.5 MPG+ @ 3400, mid/high 40's
changing habits that's all. spots closer to home. looking to save the "tank of fuel in a couple days" doing some distance trips next month.
I don't mind the lack of boat traffic though!
The thinner it gets out there, the more exclusive and priviledged I feel about it.
In the future there will be more exclusivity about it that's for sure.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

My wife is my automatic gas conservation meter - anytime I get up on plane, she starts yelling at me...
Most of my boating this year (and it's been my first in a looong while) has been in local lakes with mostly no-wake zones - I've put $200 of gas into it so far and still have a lot left - I can idle around here all day, cruising from bar to bar - but it's boring...and there's only a couple spots I can open it up - and not for long. Had it in a couple bigger lakes - but haven't gotten up to Erie yet - that looks like it will happen in August/September. My only other friend with a boat has a 22' that he uses to fish...I don't think he's using that as much as he expected to...
Old 07-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Less traffic but not because our friends aren't boating.

We are trailering more than we ever have. It's crazy to spend $800RT in gas to go up to the islands when it only costs $100 in diesel to pull her up there.

Locally, we run here and there, but raft up which is something we've always done.

I have noticed that there are 4 or 6 people in a boat instead of everyone taking their boat. One time it's our boat, next time it's someone else's. That helps too.

Leaving work early today to get out on the boat and head to Geneva and enjoy some lunch/wine at a local winery. We are not going to let this ruin our fun!....yet.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I actually use the boat more. But the main reason is that it took 6 months to get her done.
I don't see the boating quantity change, just the way boaters use them. Short trips. long time on the beaches/islands/bars.
My neighbor is actually looking for a small boat. He sees me nuts over mine,, taking it here and there. Working on the Avanti and the Formula.. I think he getting the bug.
I'll be boating... one way or another, even if I have to paddle.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

On a positive note. I have a few friends looking to sell there crusiers to buy performance boats, because there tired of $5000+ slip rent.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:55 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Yep,
Have friends that are definitely using theirs's less, as we are with our Nordic. BUT on the other hand, we are using the Seadoo more and more, doing some exploring in areas of the rivers/ICW that we have never been to. Boating is my therepy, (SP?) ! I'm really glad we bought the Seadoo a couple of years ago.
Dean

Last edited by Dean Ferry; 07-17-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I've had one friend quite boating this season. I've only ran 20 hours so far this season in my boat but that is more as a result of the weather than fuel prices. Hours have been picking up quickly now that the weather has finally warmed up and dried out in the Midwest. LOTO was so dead last week that on last Wednesday, my 14 year old son drove the boat from Captain Ron's at the 34MM back to the 19MM. That never could of happened in year's past.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Or guys that are just looking for a piece of azz,
hey...you made a funny....nice to see

Quick Reply: How many friends of yours have quit boating?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.