Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How many friends of yours have quit boating? >

How many friends of yours have quit boating?

Notices

How many friends of yours have quit boating?

Old 07-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My problem is I'm a average guy. I live in N.J. my wife and I work. We have 2 young kids, a moderate house, 2 cars a few years old, and a boat. Thats it. We make together alittle over 100,000 year. Guess what after paying all the bills, house payment, car payments, food, etc., there is not much left. Its crazy! We are paying double on gas to get to work each week. (less spending money) Everything is going up in price.(because of gas) Forget about raises at work. (lucky to have job) It pisses me off to take the rest of the little bit of money I have and spend it on gas!

I love boating not floating. If I can't run it, it will stay in the driveway.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Registered

I'm learning to like floating. I used to launch close to home regardless where I was going. Now between going through a divorce & increased costs I try to launch near a place I can hang on the hook.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hotel rooms for Jammin on the James Poker Run for 2 couples Friday and Saturday nights- $800

entry for 2 couples to Jammin- $650

fuel after run so we could get home the next day- $750

dinner/drinks Friday, drinks after the run, lunch the next day- $600

me paying for every thing and running 90+ on a 46 Black Thunder w/trips that is not mine and I can drink all day without worry of breaking any of my chit or having be the captain (no drinks)- priceless...
Old 07-20-2008, 08:17 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey Mark, how about fuel "before" the run so you could make the run?? Another $750?
Old 07-20-2008, 08:22 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Russ G
My problem is I'm a average guy. I live in N.J. my wife and I work. We have 2 young kids, a moderate house, 2 cars a few years old, and a boat. Thats it. We make together alittle over 100,000 year. Guess what after paying all the bills, house payment, car payments, food, etc., there is not much left. Its crazy! We are paying double on gas to get to work each week. (less spending money) Everything is going up in price.(because of gas) Forget about raises at work. (lucky to have job) It pisses me off to take the rest of the little bit of money I have and spend it on gas!

I love boating not floating. If I can't run it, it will stay in the driveway.
I hear ya man!

We've been out every weekend unless it was due to weather... Been doing a lot of floating and running around locally with my wife and the baby... For us that's not normal.... Any other years I would have made 4-5 runs to Long Island and 2-3 runs to Point Pleasant.....This year 0 runs to Long Island, 1 ride to barnegat and one ride in the NYC poker run and the rest have been all local boating..

We're still out there every week but I'm definitely taking it easy.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Panther
Hey Mark, how about fuel "before" the run so you could make the run?? Another $750?
He towed the boat down, paid the slip fee and filled the tanks. I met him there and if he would have waited I would have taken care of that as well.

I didn't even offer cash- after 20+ years of being friends I don't even bother as I know the answer. I've offered say $500 for fuel while eating dinner and he's left it there as a tip vs putting it in his pocket.

Either way- I absorbed $2800 he didn't have to, drove his other car down (tank full already) so he could leave straight from there to go to Myrtle Beach and towed his boat home (after washing it and flushing motors) with his truck, unhooked boat in his garage, moved his other truck further in to his garage and parked the truck I towed the boat with behind that one in the garage, filled fridge with leftover beer from fridge in boat and coolers, rinsed coolers out and left open to dry and turned the lights off when I left.

REAL boaters take care of boaters; not freeload or rip them off on parts. Boaters get screwed enough- buying a boat, selling a boat, buying fuel, insurance- why we do it to each other so much is beyond me...

Old 07-20-2008, 09:21 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Default Boating

Stop Boating!!!!!! I have a 40 Chris sport fish a fountain and a little chris stinger. The only way I'll stop is when all the motors are blown,The cheasapeake bay drys up,and the good lord takes me home.( or the wife tells me to ) LOL. You can work thru everything else. It's a way of life.JOHN
Old 07-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Crappy timing...but I just got into boating this year. The gas prices ARE a killer, but I knew that would sting when I bought it. To make it more feasible, I took on a partner to share costs. That eases the pain a bit. We have fun with it but stick close to home for the most part and are just really selective about any longer trips to make sure it's worth burning the fuel.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ryan8886
. To make it more feasible, I took on a partner to share costs.
I hope, hope, hope things don't turn out for you like most partnerships do! If it does, your pain at the pump will pale in comparison.

Friends and money- if you ever involve them together be prepared to lose one of them...

Good luck!
Old 07-20-2008, 06:03 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
Jerry.......you ARE alive......I was going to put out an APB

Yep, still here. Just not as active on here lately.

Quick Reply: How many friends of yours have quit boating?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.