Notices

Yellow fiberglass stains

Old 07-15-2008, 10:41 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Yellow fiberglass stains

I may leave my boat in the water for two or three days at a time max. What is the best way to prevent this stain from appearing every time I leave it out overnight?
Old 07-15-2008, 11:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tbone, Wax will help but you need to wet sand it and get rid of all the staining. Maybe it's time to have it clear coated

I was having the same problem with my transom. I wet sanded it and put some leverage on and haven't had it come back to bad so far and its been almost a year. Call Donnie from Marine Clean. Call me if you need his #.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey tomtbone1993,

Dont know really anyway to stop the yellowing but I use some hull cleaner dilute it with water and a garden sprayer and it comes right off. No rubbing or scrubbing just hose off. Hope this helps...
Old 07-15-2008, 11:36 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

No need to wet sand to get the stain off. Use some hull cleaner or muratic acid or do a search for RINGO on the board to remove the stain. There is really nothing you can do to prevent it. Gel coat is pourus and the stain soaks in.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Griff
No need to wet sand to get the stain off. Use some hull cleaner or muratic acid or do a search for RINGO on the board to remove the stain. There is really nothing you can do to prevent it. Gel coat is pourus and the stain soaks in.
I was told the Muratic acid would take it off but would also allow it to come back faster and worse. Never used ringo but heard it was good. I just wet sanded on the recomendation of Donnie.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:53 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Sno-Bowl toliet cleaner...no other brand will take the stain right off super easy. It will not harm the gelcoat. I tired other toliet cleaners and Sno-Bowl is the inside secrete.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:19 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Sno Bowl is just diluted acid and will work for light stains. I've used muratic for years with no ill effects. I probably use it about 4 -5 times a season.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:58 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

This stuff is good. Made by Marykate
Attached Images  
Old 07-16-2008, 07:15 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On & Off by Mary Kate. DO NOT wet sand the boat. I actually used to use rain X and it seemed to help with the staining.

As said earlier, you can also use Sno Bowl.

Put the on & off in a bucket diluted with water and use a brush to wash the hull. Stay up-wind because it nasty and will burn your eyes etc. Use gloves if you care about your hands
Old 07-16-2008, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom, we all had the staining problems, when we got back from the Conroe poker run. It seems worse this year for some reason. I have been geting that yellow stain each time we go out. None of the usual waxes seem to work, I have tried them all, but Leverage. That will be my next wax. I sprayed West Marine hull cleaner on it, brushed it, and rinsed it right off and re-waxed. We had it real bad when we went to Destin last year and the boats were in the water for a week, but again the hull cleaner took it right off.

Quick Reply: Yellow fiberglass stains

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.