Notices

Tires Pressure

Old 07-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires Pressure

Guys - This may be one for the record book of dump questions.

But I have a tandem axel trailer towing about 7k.
Has a max load tire pressure of 65 PSI. Do I want to tires at the max load pressure?

What is a good PSI - when I check the all looked firm and were around 50 or so.

They was not other pressure rating on the tire so I guess 65 is what they want but just seems a bit high.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:23 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

I would run them at 60psi cold.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:28 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

If you're running at highway speeds, the 65psi pressure results in less tire deflection and therefore builds less heat, which is a tire's worst enemy.

The load your tire is capable of is determined in large part by the tire size itself, so the tire pressure that meets the load capacity depends on that. At lower speeds at a lower pressure, if you're towing short distances to a launch ramp, would result in a more civilized ride over bumps, but it's important to make sure you have enough pressure in the tire to meet load (again depending on tire size)
Old 07-21-2008, 06:44 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I would hope it meats the load. - Wow sounds weird to say

Each tire at max laod 65 PSI is rate for 3950 lbs.

The most I have ever gone to launch is about an hour so nothing real excessive here.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:56 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys impress me.

Good advice from all these guys. Tire pressure is the most neglected maintenance item. I always test my tire pressure cold, (less than 5 miles running), and put it at the rated pressure on the tire. An underinflated tire will run hot and wear out prematurely. Watch out for signs of age, like small cracks around the bead. Dry rotted tires are the ones that leave you out on the highway.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

Earlier in this summer I set out for the boat ramp for the first or second time - looked back in the middle of a fairly sharp turn and both tires were flat and had pulled off the rim as I turned. Needless to say all 6 were underinflated - learned that lesson the hard way....
Old 07-21-2008, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I check our tires before every trip and $hit still goes bad . We had to replace all 6 tires on our 2007 trailer only 2000 miles on them F--- a Carlisle tire .
Attached Thumbnails Tires Pressure-img_2513.jpg   Tires Pressure-img_2512.jpg  
Old 07-21-2008, 11:34 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by formula 382 sr-1
I check our tires before every trip and $hit still goes bad . We had to replace all 6 tires on our 2007 trailer only 2000 miles on them F--- a Carlisle tire .

Stay far awayfrom the Carlisle tires. Out here on the west coast, you would not believe the horror stories from guys running these on their toy boxes.

Darrell.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:34 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by formula 382 sr-1
Also replaced 7 Carlisles. Brand new tires, too, they had a bad run and wouldn't do anything about them.

As another note, a tire's maximum load carrying capacity is not necessarily at the max pressure.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:11 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

As another note, if travelling at speed of 66-75mp, Goodyear actually recommends inflating at 10psi over max pressure if the wheel is rated to handle the increased pressure. They released a product service bulletin to that effect.

Any LT or ST tire's max load capacity is met at the max pressure, but a P metric or euro metric is not. That depends on whether it's standard or extra load.

Below is part of that service bulletin.

· Based on industry standards, if tires with the ST designation are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph,
it is necessary to increase the cold inflation pressures by 10 psi above the recommended pressure for the
load.
o Do not exceed the maximum pressure for the wheel.
o If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then the
maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph.
o The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi beyond the inflation specified for the
maximum load of the tire.

Quick Reply: Tires Pressure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.