Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Tired of crappy service from boat shops!!!! >

Tired of crappy service from boat shops!!!!

Notices

Tired of crappy service from boat shops!!!!

Old 06-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Tired of crappy service from boat shops!!!!

I bought my 38' Scarab last May. I found a 575sci motor in Texas 2 weeks later (on OSO). The guy at the shop said he had a line on another so I bought both. I told him to rebuild from the ground up ,including superchargers (cut no corners), he said 4 weeks turn around.... 8 weeks later he said one of the blowers was not rebuildable. 4 weeks after that it was finally done. Still never got build sheets. The shop I had install the motors took 6 weeks to install . Then one alternator is bad, and one of motors doesn't idle right , so I had to send one ECM back to Texas to be reprogrammed and buy a second IAC valve for one motor and install a revised wiring harness (all of which should have been done there.That was 6 week turn around. And they still don't idle the same. Then I told him that the port motor puffs out white smoke on start up and he said it must be fuel and to check the timing. I am a VERY patient person but not a fu**ing idiot. I am an ASE master technician,owner of my own auto shop for 15 years and know he difference between oil smoke,fuel,steam,etc. Now, I check the oil after just about 5 hours total running time and that motor (smoker) is over 4 qts low on oil. For the last couple of days i've tried to call him and he is "not available to take calls". If i ran my shop like this, I would have been out of business years ago. There is no pride left. The motors had only 90 day warranty so I don't expect anything except to admit fault. But this is the type thing that gives the industry a bad name...........Just venting.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:08 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW BIG Daddy that suks the BIG one , Sure makes our sport aggravating as Phuch
Old 06-11-2008, 05:27 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Unfortunately the only way to go is big name. The prices are insane, but you don't get any BS with Mercury, Sterling, etc.

Hope it works out bro
Old 06-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who in Texas?
Old 06-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by niceguy
Who in Texas?
I don't really want to say any names,but they are a large shop that does advertise here on OSO. And they are about 341 miles NW of you......
BTW- I see you are in League City. My dad grew up in Galveston and Texas City. He was in Galveston at school in the 1947 when the GrandCamp ship explosion occured.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:41 PM
Registered

The problem with big name is it takes 90% of us out of the picture either financially or what we consider reasonableness for what we can spend for a hobby. There has to be some middle ground to provide a reasonable level of horsepower, relialbility, and cost. So far, I have not found it!
Old 06-11-2008, 06:54 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Originally Posted by kr1276
The problem with big name is it takes 90% of us out of the picture either financially or what we consider reasonableness for what we can spend for a hobby. There has to be some middle ground to provide a reasonable level of horsepower, relialbility, and cost. So far, I have not found it!
I realize that for most those engines are just too expensive, and, I don't know the solution. I just know that history dictates these types of projects don't work out well. I've seen too many of these to count on OSO over the years.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Michael Garibay
I don't really want to say any names,but they are a large shop that does advertise here on OSO. And they are about 341 miles NW of you......
BTW- I see you are in League City. My dad grew up in Galveston and Texas City. He was in Galveston at school in the 1947 when the GrandCamp ship explosion occured.
I understand. I am sorry your having such a hard time.... I know this is just a hobby, but it sure does take the wind out of your sails (so to speak) when you have so much trouble from something that is suppossed to be strictly for fun.

Just a thought, do you think it is using oil, or just maybe the valve seals are leaking... causing a puff when you start it? If it's using it, you should see some smoke occassionally upon throttling it, right?

Yeah I am right in between Galveston and Houston. My wife grew up in Texas City.

KR1276.... you are absolutely right. You should be able to find someone who can do it for the price you want to pay, you just might have to really be an integral part and ask a ton of questions and really birddog them to make sure it's done right. The ones that you spend top dollar with are the ones you really dont have to do anything but write the checks and sit back and wait. This is an expensive hobby (as you know) and sometimes it is just better to spend the money the first time, than having to do it twice. Not flaming you, I agree with you, but sometimes you just have to say... what the hell and bite the bullet and remember this is what we do for fun.... and nothing that is fun is free or cheap. LOL
Old 06-11-2008, 07:07 PM
Registered

You can find the right people to do it, you just have to look real hard, and some times luck into it. The guy I use in Joplin, MO has made huge power for many people around Grand Lake and LOTO for years, and I've never heard a bad thing about him. He did my engine, which is certainly the low end of the stuff he does, and treats me like all of his big engine guys. He has made several trips to the lake to tweak, and even prop test with me on occasion. They are out there, they can be hard to find though!
Old 06-11-2008, 07:26 PM
scarab
Gold Member

I'am right there with you in the same boat mine was finshed in april and we are in june now and I still dont have my boat yet did new heads and pro chargers and they cant get them adjusted right and there still not running right

Quick Reply: Tired of crappy service from boat shops!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.