Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   The other "OSO" boat ... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/19202-other-oso-boat.html)

Jeffrey 03-01-2002 01:12 PM

The other "OSO" boat ...

1 Attachment(s)
Devil Man shot this incredible picture of my boat a few months ago on Lake Mead. I finally scanned it (since DMAM doesn't know how to use a digital camera) and thought that some of you would appreciate the quality of the picture.

The boat is a 2000 38' F-2 Top Gun. It was one of four purpose-built race boats that raced in APBA in the 2000 season. The most successful of its kind was the yellow Team Virgin boat that actually raced competitively through the first four races of last season (winning three of them). The boat runs an honest 88-89 mph on twin HP500's (although Sean Stinson claims to have seen higher).

Most of you may remember this boat as the Dick Simon race entry during the 2000 season. Sean Stinson and Dick Simon raced the boat a half dozen times and managed to end up in the water twice! The most notable of the mishaps was at the Worlds in 2000. The hull was slightly damaged in the left rear. I purchased it and had Neill at Cigarette fix it. Martin Offshore re-rigged it and completely converted the cockpit area into a 2000 spec pleasure cockpit (throttles and shifters together on the driver's side, separate gauge setup on the passenger side console, etc.).

There were rumors going around that the hull had some defieciencies in the design which caused them to roll over in the corners. I have to say that the rumors were likely true. The boat does not like quartering seas or running in and out of other boat's wakes. That being said - unless you plan to race it - you will never experience this deficiency as a pleasure boater since you are rarely initiating a tight turn at 70+ mph. 99.9% of our boating is in a relatively straight line.

Just thought I would add an interesting post so everyone could enjoy something "boating" related.:)

Biggus 03-01-2002 01:22 PM

Jeffrey, nice ride!:cool:

Kurt

CigDaze 03-01-2002 01:22 PM

Great looking Cig.
And that is a terrific shot...not often do we see great pics like this!

Jeffrey 03-01-2002 01:24 PM

And by the way ... that is not some scary looking female next to me ... it is actually Shane Sherman (or ssherman to most of you).:)

seanclong 03-01-2002 01:32 PM

That boat's okay, I guess. :rolleyes: If you're into that sort of thing...:eek: :p

Seriously, nice craft. :D Great, clear pic too.:D

Hot Duck 03-01-2002 01:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a very similar picture of my throttleman's old Factory 1 boat. It was taken in the late afternoon on a day when the ocean was as flat as can be.

jawbreakerkid 03-01-2002 01:36 PM

go speedracer, go.......

jeffrey-

during the conversion from race layup to pleasure, did they install a cabin too? if i remember correctly, it doesn't have one. how much does it weigh? are you running XR's?

~Chad

Milord 03-01-2002 01:36 PM

Jeffrey and Hot Duck, killer boats and killer pics!

Thanks for sharing.

cigarette1 03-01-2002 01:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I also have one with the glassy water and rich blues.

This is at Lake Mead. Pic was taken by Jeffrey.

seanclong 03-01-2002 01:41 PM

Originally posted by Hot Duck
I have a very similar picture of my throttleman's old Factory 1 boat. It was taken in the late afternoon on a day when the ocean was as flat as can be.
Hey Hot Duck -- Another nice ride. :D Where was that shot taken? Ocean City?