Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Shell Rottella and Quicksilver (Mercury) 2-stroke oils at Sams club. >

Shell Rottella and Quicksilver (Mercury) 2-stroke oils at Sams club.

Notices

Shell Rottella and Quicksilver (Mercury) 2-stroke oils at Sams club.

Old 03-01-2002, 11:05 PM
Intolerant1

Default Shell Rottella and Quicksilver (Mercury) 2-stroke oils at Sams club.

Just got back from Sams. They have Shell Rotella 15-40 at $33 for 6 gallons. Great oil for the truck and boat. I was also suprised to see Mercury Quicksilver 2 stoke engine oil at $11.88 per gallon. Not sure if thats a good price but I thought I would pass it along. Now I just need an oil container to dump the 15 gallons my PSD holds.

Old 03-01-2002, 11:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Walmart has 15 quart oil drain pans. I've got two. One for my PSD the other for my twin engine boat. Works great.

By the way, you use diesel engine oil in your gasoline engine ? I've always been told that is a bad combination. Any thoughts ?
Old 03-01-2002, 11:21 PM
Registered

The Merc oil is that the good Syn. blend or the TCW3 ?
Old 03-01-2002, 11:23 PM
Intolerant1

One of the motorcycle rags did a very detailed oil test including lab work. Rotella came out as one of the best. I posted it here quite some time ago. If I find the article I'll post it again.

Old 03-01-2002, 11:25 PM
Intolerant1

Dont know on the two stroke if it was synthetic or not. I dont recall it being labeled as synthetic but I wasnt looking hard.

Old 03-01-2002, 11:30 PM
Registered

Rotella just came out with a new syn., oil. I've always used Rotella in the big truck, used synth. in my small diesel, GTX. I'll try the new Rotella next change. Also what MERC oil is at Sams? Is it the best Merc sells ? We need the best or Rural Purple for the 2.5's or comp.
Old 03-01-2002, 11:33 PM
Registered

Thanks for info I'll check it out.
Doug
Old 03-02-2002, 12:00 AM
Intolerant1

Heres some info copied from another board:

As many of you know I was involved in the oil analysis article that came out in Motorcycle Consumer News Magazine a few years ago.
http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/ubb/Fo...ML/000004.html

Since then I have still been doing some lab testing on various products that look interesting to me.

One of the most interesting was the release of the new Shell Rotella FULL SYNTHETIC oil. As you may remember the normal Rotella did very well as a conventional oil in the tests. In fact it was one of the top. One of the reasons it does so well is that it is not an EC oil. Meaning it is not labeled as a energy conserving oil and therefore is not subjected to the new lower limits of some key additives that is mandated by the EPA. Those critical additives being mainly Phosphorous and Zinc which are the two major anti wear additives. Motorcycle specific oils are also exempt from this standard.

If you have access to Microsoft Excel please take a look at the attached spreadsheet where I have continued to update the additives found in many of the major oils. While I have not taken the new Rotella into the lab yet for a Noack heat stability test I can say that on paper it looks REALLY good. Lots of the needed additives and the higest TBN tested so far. (base number) which helps it last longer and remove acids as they form in the crankcase. Plus it is only $5 or so a quart. A real bargian compared to the Motorcycle specific oils out now.

There are also a few other new things added like Castrol Syntec (not really a full synthetic) two race oils from Nutec, Kendall and Valvoline automotive race oils and maybe a few others.

Maybe someone will get really ambitious and graph all of this and post it onto a webpage somewhere. I just dont have time now as I have a deadline on the next article I am doing for MCN on tire repair kits.

Take a look at the spreadsheet and lets talk if you have questions

http://members.aol.com/rotts4u/oilreport.xls

Last edited by Intolerant1; 03-02-2002 at 02:22 AM.

Old 03-02-2002, 02:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The oil at Sam's club is TCW-III standard 2-cycle oil, wish you could get the synthetic that cheap.
Caleb
Old 03-04-2002, 02:38 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

I have always used Rotella in the boat. I've asked several times on this board about using it and have never gotten a response.

G

Quick Reply: Shell Rottella and Quicksilver (Mercury) 2-stroke oils at Sams club.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.