Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is boating dead where you are??? >

Is boating dead where you are???

Notices

Is boating dead where you are???

Old 08-01-2008, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

It has been slower for sure...but I think this weekend will be different...Chicago Scene Boat Party. Anything that floats will be rafted up in the playpen.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:58 AM
BL6
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

I've noticed there are more transcient slips avail everywhere I go.
I'll tell you what is up: Water patrols. Crap there must be 4 or 5 different Gov't agencies paying people to drive around in boats all day. Is their key assignment to make our waterways safer? IMO no.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

I don't think it is down in my area - of course 99% of the boats in my area are 15-20 footers so fuel prices aren't going to diminish enthusiasm but so much.

Also - our economy hasn't been hit as hard as much of the nation in my opinion. Lots of military and not as many horror stories in the housing market
Old 08-01-2008, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has STOPPED for us... Our son's football practices are in full swing... 3 nights a week and jamborees on the weekend..
Old 08-01-2008, 09:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BL6
I've noticed there are more transcient slips avail everywhere I go.
I'll tell you what is up: Water patrols. Crap there must be 4 or 5 different Gov't agencies paying people to drive around in boats all day. Is their key assignment to make our waterways safer? IMO no.
on the hudson water patrol is not the problem. last friday i was stopped twicw in five minutes. they were doing stops all over. it was the first stop ive seen all summer. i was talking with one sheriff and he was a real nice guy. i thought it was strange that i havent seen then out all summer so i asked him why. he said it was the first time they were allowed to use the boat. they are cutting back too.

the river was slowed down alot this year and just from talking to people its all fuel prices.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:07 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Our marina is PACKED but no one is actually USING their boats... Most of the cruisers are parked at the dock and people are laying out on the sun pads and sitting around hanging out... I have never seen the marina so busy, usually the slips are empty because everyone is out cruising around.

I was boating Monday night around 7 pm. It was 85 degrees, light wind, glassy water, big ole red sun set and ZERO boats on the water. One of the Marine police had nothing to do so when I was tied up to the dock he came over to check the boat out and did a courtesy boarding and safety check. The cop was really nice and we chatted for about 15 minutes. He asked me what size the engines were so I told him they were 600's...

Some weekends have been busy but it's been very spotty... I think eveyrone saves up for a couple weeks then they go for a ride....
Old 08-01-2008, 10:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by prosno
I noticed the last two times out that the sound was much less busy than in the past, Claudios was three boats deep to get in now theres only a handful of boats there, traffic on the river last year on a weekend was brutal, this year its very sparse, I am thinking its fuel prices.
if the greedy *****s didnt jack up the fuel prices on the water and kept it close to the fuel prices on the streets maybe it would be ok. they bite there nose to spite there face.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by joepaws
if the greedy *****s didnt jack up the fuel prices on the water and kept it close to the fuel prices on the streets maybe it would be ok. they bite there nose to spite there face.
They have to do that to stay in business. They don't have the year round client base that a roadside gas station has.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Registered

Lot's of boats on the St, Lawrence river around Rockport every weekend...saturday in Lake of the Isle is still crazy even minus the BBQ boat restaurant that guy ran off his pontoon boat
Old 08-01-2008, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At Smith Mountain lake it is down, big boats way down, we have been selling small tritoons, to people with larger boats. Theri still going out on the water , just changing from a 36' cruiser to a 22 toon.

At VA Beach, its still pretty busy.

WILL

Quick Reply: Is boating dead where you are???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.