Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Is boating dead where you are??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/192382-boating-dead-where-you.html)

prosno 08-01-2008 03:46 AM

Is boating dead where you are???

I noticed the last two times out that the sound was much less busy than in the past, Claudios was three boats deep to get in now theres only a handful of boats there, traffic on the river last year on a weekend was brutal, this year its very sparse, I am thinking its fuel prices.

CAP071 08-01-2008 05:39 AM

100% fuel prices. Way less boat traffic, esp on weekdays. I think most eliminated the weekday work call out to go burn fuel

GLH 08-01-2008 05:49 AM

Just as many boats out here seems. Maybe they are not running as much but there are plenty out.

Bostonirish 08-01-2008 05:55 AM

I fish on and around Marthas Vineyard most weekends and i gotta tell you, you would never know there was problems with the economy. Couple of weeks ago I was there for the annual shark tourny and i have never seen so many boats in the harbour. You could walk across the harbour from boat to boat. Couple other times I took my old man and some friends srtiper fishing and it was like trying to fish in a busy parking lot. we were actually commenting on it when we were out there and laughing.

Indy 08-01-2008 07:23 AM

I can't tell you about this year since I sold my boat, but last year I was shocked to see so few boats out on Long Island Sound. In my 35 years of boating out there I had never seen it like that.

29KILROY 08-01-2008 07:40 AM

In WNY it is WAY DOWN.......

Queenie 08-01-2008 07:45 AM

It is way down and not near as much traffic.

satisfactionII 08-01-2008 07:45 AM

Plenty of boats out on GLOC, restaurants and bars are busy but I have noticed that the some coves are having larger raft-ups than in the past. Weekday traffic the same as before fuel price increase.

Expensive but still lots of fun.

BGIII 08-01-2008 07:46 AM

It's hard to say around West Michigan. Grand Haven seems to have scared away a lot of boaters with their Nazi tactics and weather has sucked for the most part this summer. The two weekends that I have been out, Muskegon and Saugatuck have been busy but the big lake does seem kinda slow.

open87 08-01-2008 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Bostonirish (Post 2641702)
I fish on and around Marthas Vineyard most weekends and i gotta tell you, you would never know there was problems with the economy. Couple of weeks ago I was there for the annual shark tourny and i have never seen so many boats in the harbour. You could walk across the harbour from boat to boat.

don't think anyone around that area is too concerned about the price of fuel :rolleyes: