WTF: Government challenging tax paid! >

WTF: Government challenging tax paid!

Notices

WTF: Government challenging tax paid!

Old 08-01-2008, 06:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts
Default WTF: Government challenging tax paid!

This could apply to a used boat, car, etc. For me it happened to a car I recently bought and was wondering if it happened to anybody else. I bought a 2000 BMW 540i Sport w/ 78,000 miles in April for $13,500. The guy I bought it from had it for sale for a while and was about to trade it in and I gave him the same price the dealer was offering for trade.
I just got a letter yesterday from the Government challenging me that I paid that amount. They said the NADA retail value was $20K and I owed the difference in tax!
Now I have to PROVE I actually paid that price!

Just wondering if anyone else has had this come up. Seems like the Government doesn't believe there is a problem with the economy and people are still paying top dollar for used items!

Sorry, just had to vent!
Old 08-01-2008, 06:48 AM
AKA "BAZOOKA JOE"
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom just tell them you bought it rite. copy of check. Sucks but been there. Its a NJ thing. I think.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ohio has done those audits for years. I've received several and I always toss them. Of course, I've never received a demand for a specific amount.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Tom it happens all the time. Just write a letter To Whom It May Concern, stating the year make model and mileage, how much you paid for it, also state if it needed any service or repairs, include a copy of the check and both you and the seller sign it....THE END

If i can help you in anyway let me know
Old 08-01-2008, 08:40 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got a letter in the mail from CA regarding a boat I sold a guy FOUR YEARS AGO. He took delivery in international waters (Canada) and then moved it to Mexico for a period of time and then to CA. I guess he was getting "around" sales tax that way. They want proof from me of all this.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:22 AM
Registered

If you took the money out of the bank cash or otherwise for that amount they will except the statement showing the withdrawal as proof. Happened to me with a boat purchase in CT.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by berns29scarab
Tom it happens all the time. Just write a letter To Whom It May Concern, stating the year make model and mileage, how much you paid for it, also state if it needed any service or repairs, include a copy of the check and both you and the seller sign it....THE END

If i can help you in anyway let me know
Since you have to have a notorized bill of sale from the seller now in NJ (something new I think) just send them a copy of that or if you do the above letter with both signatures, I would have that notorized also.

This happened to us when we bought our 1st corvette and we had to get a form or letter from the seller, notorized verifiying that is what we paid.

It is a pain in the A$$. Hope this helps. Doris
Old 08-01-2008, 09:40 AM

Don't feel bad in VA, they go of of the book value it doesn't matter what you pay!!!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2008, 10:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BAJA WILL
Don't feel bad in VA, they go of of the book value it doesn't matter what you pay!!!!!!!!
Thats gotta suck!

I hate when Im trying to buy something and the owner starts rambling on about the blue book price. Gotta be the most worthless book ever.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Legally don't you only have to pay $1 for something without it being a gift anyway......

Quick Reply: WTF: Government challenging tax paid!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.