Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Good Question here!!!!!!!I promise! >

Good Question here!!!!!!!I promise!

Notices

Good Question here!!!!!!!I promise!

Old 03-02-2002, 02:12 PM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Question here!!!!!!!I promise!

Okay.....I know this should be in the tech part BUT>>>>

List out the reasons why this would happen.....

1..Started the boat up finally and she wants to heat up at idle.....and only idle.????????

2..It took about 15 minutes on the "hose" to come up to temp.....about 165-175.....

3..This is at idle of about 800 rpm's or so....real slowly creeps up to about 200 or so.....

4....Tap the throttle up about to 1000rpm's and in about 30 seconds or less it comes right back down.....to about 165 or so.......

5...If you run it up about 2500rpm's it will fall to about 145-150....

motor in question.........260 merc w/alpha 1.....fresh water of course.....good hose pressure and about half way open.

Okay second question....last year I had a problem with the belts just waling away on me.....Not that I mind a whole lot what they do....but at the time they needed to spinning that little pulley around..

Anyways..at idle the are fine and smooth...after about 15 minutes of running to let them warm up.....I bump the throttle up to about 2000rpm's.........and you should see the little dance the water pump belt puts on......kinda funny actually but not really....they jump up and down not side to side.......3000rpm's seem to be the worst....... ......HELP!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-02-2002, 02:24 PM
GOT MERC?

Cool

Shorgasm,
It sounds like your poppett balls that are in your T-Stat housing are not seating correctly. Remove the 2 hoses on your T-stat housing that go to each riser. You will see a plastic white check ball with a spring in each end. See if the balls are seating against the pipe surrounding them. If not the springs might be weak or the pipe is so corroded that the balls sit inside it and letting water bypass the balls.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Goodfella; 03-02-2002 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-02-2002, 02:30 PM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!

Okay......I've takin that bugger apart and gone over it......to no avail.............everything appears to be working right.......a little corrosion but a still there........I even adjusted the "balls"......the thermostat housing is cool ALL the time and so are the hoses that run up to the risers.....

Now what does that tell ya???i wouldn't think that they would be that cool.....whatta think?I mean even after 30 minutes of running up and down they are as cool as they ever were.....kinda like grabbing a hose.....

The big water hose from the housing to the pump is kinda warm..maybe even hot.......you can hold it indefinitly but still very warm......?,.
Old 03-02-2002, 02:58 PM
Registered

Shore..........Any possibility its just the impellers. At idle they are just not getting the suction, and when you bring up the rpm's the natural increase in speed circulates the water better?

Bob
Old 03-02-2002, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

I'm wondering if your impeller isn't bypassing water- you should have a 142 degree themostat in that 260, and it should actually run warmer than that on the hose (Alphas have a tough time picking up water on the muffs anyway).
When you increase your RPM's, the engine-driven circulating pump is actually doing the pulling if your impeller in the drive is worn. I've had better luck on the hose with my Alphas since I put in the Globe impellers- got 'em from George at boatfix.com
The water pump belt dancing up and down sounds like a loose belt.
Old 03-02-2002, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder,with the belts "dancin" and the heat problem, could it all be a bad water pump ? I know that will make the belts squal & dance.....Loosen the belts & wiggle the pulley.
Old 03-02-2002, 04:22 PM
Registered

Nope the water pump is good....I guess....no wiggling

The belts feel tight enough to me even when warm......she got a new impeller last spring........done it before that too

Although I do like the Globes.....there the chit to have in there.....

Not sure why they are dancin around........but they have jumped off twice............not anytime recently but it looks to be very possible even now......

I was thinkin maybe there wasn't enough suction in the impeller to bring enough water in.........

Also she will heat up if run WFO for a good while...not too bad but more than iwould like to see.....
Old 03-02-2002, 04:24 PM
Registered

One more thing here.......the thermostat is new and it is a 142 jobber...........I just don't know if the hoses from the housing to the risers are supposed to be that cold all the time.....?.....
Old 03-02-2002, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would do the new impeller kit next get the whole kit not just impeller. As to the belts sounds like alignment problem,lay a straight edge along youre pulleys...Good Luck!
Old 03-02-2002, 04:33 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Does the engine heat up the same way in the water as it does on the hose?? Running on a hose does not always duplicate actual in water conditions. In other words, make sure you've got problem before you try to fix it. Also, what happens if you just let it keep idling??? Does thye temp keep going up?? Upon initial start up, at idle, my temp guage often goes up to 185 or so and then comes back down to its norm of 165.
I think the cool water in the hoses to the risers is normal. That is water that never goes into the engine. It gets sucked in the impeller and if the t-stat is closed, it goes out to the risers.
As far as the belt "dance," its either a loose belt, a bad pulley, or a bad bearing in the water pump.

Quick Reply: Good Question here!!!!!!!I promise!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.