Larson Senza 206 Hull Issues >

Larson Senza 206 Hull Issues

Notices

Larson Senza 206 Hull Issues

Old 08-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Larson Senza 206 Hull Issues

So my parents purchased a new 2006 Larson Sense 206 in the spring of 2007. The first year we had the boat, we had a couple issues with the radio not working all the time, and other little things malfunctioning. Anyways half way through July of this year, we were crusing around in the waves one day, and when we stopped, we noticed a large spider crack in the front under the bow eye, and a large 1 inch by 4 inch or so area of gel coat missing. We returned the boat to the marina on the following monday, and he said he had seen this on three other boats. There was an issue with the gel curing, and being to right around the fiberglass, thus causing it to stretch and crack/chip. Seemed a bit weird to me, but the marina said they had seen it on 3 other boats so far. He said that come fall, he would have the boat shipped back to Larson on a flat bed, and they would either fix the gel coat, or replace the hull. Seemed fair enough, and in the meantime he had one of his people fix the large chip, and we would worry about it after the season.

Skip fwd to the present, monday night we were driving past the marina on our way back to Toronto and noticed that they had very few boats on their lot. My dad was up north of Toronto taking care of some business yesterday and decided to stop by a Larson marina, just to see what they had. Well he was talking to the owner about the boat, and he informed him that indeed the marina where we purchased the boat was in receivership, Larson had pulled their dealership, and that he just got a couple boats on consignment from them. My dad was kinda of shocked, and then asked him about the issues with the gel coat, and this guy said he had never heard of this happening.

So I guess my question are:
1. Is it possible that their is actually an issue with the gel coat being to tight around the fiberglass?
2. Would Larson actually replace a hull? Seems to me like that would be a crazy amount of work, and after the boat would never look/feel the same.
3. Are we getting our leg pulled here?

Thanks for the responses, I greatly appreciate it!
Josh
Attached Thumbnails Larson Senza 206 Hull Issues-chip1.jpg  
Old 08-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts

tough question, maybe glassdave here could answer...
Old 08-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've read about many Larson crack problems, some spider cracks, many stress cracks. Given the many experiences I've seen, I think your dealer was promising way more than Larson would offer. Like many companies now, the gel warranty is pretty feeble, and they are denying liability left and right as only cosmetic issues.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Dunno about Larsen problems...my buddy here at work put his 230 bowrider ON TOP of a breakwall a couple years back (confused lights on the shore for the lights on the wall entrance). Pulled the boat off the wall, fixed up the drive, and it was good as new...just a couple scrapes. Not bad after a 30 mph hit.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

went into a Marinaa couple of mos back and this guy has made a buisiness out of doing "bottom jobs" old, new , big small......its pretty well all this guy does......I saw some very new runabouts in there for bottom repair, Sea ray and Larson were two.......he said alot of production companies had problems when they switched from viynalester resins to polyester resins (could have the terms mixed up ) says he sees gel coming off all the time.......cant remember the name of the place but he's on Hwy 12 between Breechin and Orillia......hed be a good guy to ask
Old 08-06-2008, 07:46 PM
Registered

thanx for the responses guys, i appreciate it. i figured as soon as we brought the boat in the guy at the marina would say we hit something or the anchor smacked into the bow, but i know for a fact that is not the case. i guess we will have to wait and see. right now we are trying to get a hold of larson to see if this is actually the case, or what the real deal is.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:48 PM
Registered

well i pulled the boat out today to get gas, and while we were winching it on the trailer noticed the gel coat where they fixed the repair if chipping off again.