Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Water Level (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/192719-water-level.html)

nascar_crazy 08-06-2008 11:41 AM

Water Level

How low water level to low. The water level in the cove where my boat house is down to about 4ft. I have not put my boat back in the water becase of it. I have a 28ft twin Baja and are worried about the drive hitting bottom. Is it ok to drive the boat with the drives way up until I get to deeper water?

tblrklakemo 08-06-2008 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by nascar_crazy (Post 2646312)
How low water level to low. The water level in the cove where my boat house is down to about 4ft. I have not put my boat back in the water becase of it. I have a 28ft twin Baja and are worried about the drive hitting bottom. Is it ok to drive the boat with the drives way up until I get to deeper water?

No its not. Very hard on the u-joints and transom assembly. Dont do it. Walk your boat out to deeper water with the drives up and motors off.

glassdave 08-06-2008 11:47 AM

heck thats everyday boating for us :D you can run with the drives at the limit switch an thats about it. It will adversely affect performance and gimble life though. Probably better running with tabs buried, with the drive up it forces the stern down about as much or more than the level drive depth.

nascar_crazy 08-06-2008 11:49 AM

I am only going to be idling. Would that hurt the joints?

tblrklakemo 08-06-2008 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by nascar_crazy (Post 2646330)
I am only going to be idling. Would that hurt the joints?

yup...wouldnt do it.

And not all boats have limit switches. I dont have a "trailer" switch on mine....the drives will keep going up with normal trim until they max out the trim rams.

Griff 08-06-2008 12:28 PM

You can trim it up pretty high at idle and it won't hurt anything. If you feel a slight vibration, lower the trim till you don't feel the vibration.

4ft should be fine.

Anarchy Powerboats 08-06-2008 12:42 PM

You could call Sea Tow and they can give you a lift to deeper blue:angry-smiley-038:

TexomaPowerboater 08-06-2008 06:08 PM

I agree with Griff - and I do it all the time. I've never had an issue with the drives.

Its a boat - enjoy it, chit breaks all the time. I see your from Dallas - where is your boat house.

johnny b good 08-06-2008 08:24 PM

The Merc. operation & maintenance manual says the power trim system "Trailering" feature allows the operator to raise and lower the drive unit for trailering, beaching, launching and low speed ( below 1200 RPM engine speed), shallow water operation. Also states never trim the drive unit UP/OUT using TRAILER switch while boat is underway at engine speeds above 1200 RPM. Use extreme caution when operating with drive unit raised. Severe damage to the drive unit may result if unit is raised beyond the gimbal ring support flanges at engine speeds above 1200 RPM. In other words you should be fine for idling out in shallow water. I have been doing it for the last 20 years in 3 different boats I have owned and have never had any drive issues because of it.

nascar_crazy 08-07-2008 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater (Post 2646731)
I agree with Griff - and I do it all the time. I've never had an issue with the drives.

Its a boat - enjoy it, chit breaks all the time. I see your from Dallas - where is your boat house.

Cedar Creek Lake.