Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Hey West Michigan guys: GPS? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/19277-hey-west-michigan-guys-gps.html)

Red Stripe 03-03-2002 02:21 AM

Hey West Michigan guys: GPS?

If you guys have a Garmin GPS, what mapsource CD do you use with it? From checking online at the different maps that they offer, only the metro guide map puts the markers for the Muskegon channel in the right spot. The waterways map and the roads and recreation put the channel markers way off. The fishing hotspots doesn't even put muskegon lake on the map:eek:
I've been kicking around the idea about picking up a portable GPS and just trying to figure out what I want.
Anyone using the GPs 3+? Is 1.44 MB enough space to put anything on it?
How about the Street Pilot? I can get a pretty good deal on one of these too.

I might just get the Lowrance Global Map 100 cause I know how to use it already (had to figure it out for a buddy when he picked his up) and have access to the Mapcreate4 CD to load into it too (have that here now to figure out how to use that too) eek: :D

Just looking at my low buget options :D

Thanks in advance for you .02

Joe Krumske 03-03-2002 10:39 AM

I've been using the Globalmap 100 for about three years and love it. It by far is not the best gps but I guess it depends on what you're looking for. I've made quite a few trips across the lake to Chicago and Wisconsin and the 100 works great. the Mapcreate works well too. Plus I like to use it on road trips, as it has the builtin streetguide.
I'm getting ready to buy a Furuno 1650 which has a lot more features and capabilities but for the price the Globalmap works great and it has never let me down (even after losing it in the water at a boat launch for 1/2 hour).

Joe K.

Crazyhorse 03-03-2002 10:50 AM

I use my hand-held Garmin with the Jeppeson aviation database. No map source.

Waterfoul 03-03-2002 12:43 PM

mapsource CD

Todd, you're right about the Muskegon portion of the Waterways CD. Of all the ports I've been in with my Garmin 162, it's the ONLY one that is not dead nuts on. I've called Garmin about it several times and they do not have a good answer. I simply use my old tracks across Muskegon Lake to be safe. I figure if I went that way once I can go that way again! This is what I did when I left Harbor Town late one night last summer. No problem. But you are right about the varience. Sucks. Grand Haven, Holland, Sausagetuck, Ludington, Pentwater, Traverse City, Northport, Charlevoix, Beaver Island, etc... have all been right on with the Mapsource CD.

I know several people using the 3+ with good success. My problem with them is the small screen. 1.44 is enough to load a lot of Lake Michigan.

Red Stripe 03-03-2002 03:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok heres a screen grab from the Mapsource Metro guide cd via garmins website showing the correct marker locations.

Red Stripe 03-03-2002 03:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now heres what the mapsource roads and waterways cd via garmins website shows.

Now this one is way off!! I wonder why?

Red Stripe 03-03-2002 03:29 PM

Originally posted by Joe Krumske
I've been using the Globalmap 100 for about three years and love it. It by far is not the best gps but I guess it depends on what you're looking for. I've made quite a few trips across the lake to Chicago and Wisconsin and the 100 works great. the Mapcreate works well too. Plus I like to use it on road trips, as it has the builtin streetguide.
I'm getting ready to buy a Furuno 1650 which has a lot more features and capabilities but for the price the Globalmap works great and it has never let me down (even after losing it in the water at a boat launch for 1/2 hour).

Joe K.

Thanks for the reply Joe!!
What version MapCreate do you have? Have you found any errors on the nav aids? I havent been able to load up the Mapcreate4 into the Globalmap 100 yet, I am waiting for my buddy to bring over the pc-gps cable so I can hook it up.

Waterfoul, Thanks for the info!!

Red Stripe 03-04-2002 09:57 AM

TTT

fred 03-04-2002 12:29 PM

Todd I have a Garmin GPSIII+ and although I haven't really noticed the cans off location I have it programmed for the entrances of all the ports channells I frequent, it's a neat thing to get speed readings from too, also it will tell you as you are driving how many miles you have left to the destination you are heading to and how long it will take you to get there at the speed you are traveling, its also portable so it can be used in the vehicle too, the thing I don't like about it is the screen isn't very big,.....Fred

dyno 03-04-2002 01:24 PM

Todd I have a Garmin 45 and programmed out of the GreatLakes way point guide that is availible at west marine all the points are right on the money......you might want to change the points for the channel enterance's they are right in the center inside the piers I moved most of mine just outside them.....