Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Soundings Magazine Takes a Powerboat Ride! >

Soundings Magazine Takes a Powerboat Ride!

Notices

Soundings Magazine Takes a Powerboat Ride!

Old 08-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soundings Magazine Takes a Powerboat Ride!

Most of you probably don't read Soundings magazine on a regular basis. It doesn't really "cover" the go-fast world, but the editors have been very open to carrying news about the powerboat business and players. When Tom Neale, a "go-slow" boater who lives aboard a sail boat, wrote an article about "Bimbo Barges," I invited him to experience the new generation of powerboating. Tom and his editor, Bill Sisson, were up for the challenge and Tom and his wife Mel, came to the Miami Boat Show Poker Run, hosted by Stu and Jackie Jones and Outerlimits customer, Joe Amoroso. They had a tremendous time and Tom wrote a fantastic article in the June Soundings magazine that is now on its website archives: http://www.soundingsonline.com/ME2/d...67F4EB83021426.

If this link doesn't work, please visit www.soundingspub.com and go to the archive section. You'll see the June issue and will find the article in the Boat Works section, "Sea Savvy, Adjustment to Warp Speed is Nice Surprise."

I'm sure you will all get a kick out of Tom's irony and self-deprecating sense of humor! There is some nice play for Outerlimits and really good coverage of the Poker Run. It's great to see people with open minds bring the good news about the performance boat market to those who may have preconceived notions about "us." I hope you'll visit the website, check out the article and enjoy the chuckles -- I know Tom and Mel enjoyed it! Thanks to them and Bill Sisson for spreading the word on "Warp Speed" to the Soundings readers!
Old 08-07-2008, 10:33 PM
Registered

Great article. I have crossed the fence and spent more than a few days sailing. Its very neat in a different sort of way. I'm glad he see's our sport exactly the same way from his vantage point.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very impressive article. It is very rare that people are willing to try new things, and even more rare that they will publicly admit that they liked it. As a boater in New England, we have the constant battle with Sail Boaters that we don't belong, or that we run "Guido Torpedo's", but at the end of the day we are just boaters trying to have a good time.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Registered

What an excellent article! I 2 was able to deliver the same experience with my Aunt last weekend. She in my uncle are avid sailers. My uncle has actually one the prestigous Transpac race in his class. After a day at the beach with my aunt she realize the performance boating is about having fun with family just like sailing is.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Good writer, great read, maybe he'll come over to the "Dark Side".. Everytime I've sailed, I get bored. Except when I had a Turbo 14 modified Hobie. Then, with a 20+ mph wind it was definitely not boring.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:47 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Neat.

"I turned to look back to where the sound must have been and saw only a magnificent rooster tail rising and finally falling back into what was hardly a wake."