Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
National Champion ...legit? >

National Champion ...legit?

Notices

National Champion ...legit?

Old 08-10-2008, 08:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The APBA had thisd handled- but they pushed a bunch of rich guys with big egos just a little bit too far. So then we had all these different, competing series- all with different, mismatching classes and such.

Maybe someday we'll have reunification, a handful of clearly identifyable classes and races with more than one boat.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can tell you from memory who was the world champ in 1964, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9. I can also tell you who was world champ since: Everybody. It must be the most watered-down title in the world. In the alternative, if it attracts new entrants, who cares?
Old 08-10-2008, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats the problem i think though . At least in the premier classes No one wants to spend a million or better on a boat to go out and race themselves. I believe if you want real competion you need to go into the cheaper, lower speed classes like the factory classes or the outboard cat classes that seems to be where the real racing is!
Old 08-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Another glitch would be if they haven't raced in 10 years, why would a manufacturer hang onto the WC logo. At some point it becomes a marketing idea vs. truth in advertising. Reg loves to say his boats went XXX MPH with the disclaimer of 10 gallons of fuel/ one skinny captain, no gear, no water on board. Honest but not realistic since no one will ever use the boat that way in real life.
I have to run my Fountain that way.....its the only way I can keep up with the World Champion Sunsations.
Chris..I do own a Ford also. Its a F350...I guess its from watching to much of the Nascar Truck series.

Last edited by Beak Boater; 08-10-2008 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Registered

I do think its kindda funny that none of the national or world champs that are members here have chimed in to dispute this subject.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,302 Likes on 3,706 Posts

So How many boats does a class need???
Many classes arent recognized, in europe as they are in the states. Class 3 6 litre is the only clas I know of where it is run around the globe. Gary Ballough and Paul Whittier race Cat OB here in the states with OSS, and SBI, as well as in the ME.
they run against teams from around the globe.

I do think its kindda funny that none of the national or world champs that are members here have chimed in to dispute this subject.
Do you think its funny when Poker run teams wear matching shirts/uniforms and call themselves world champion poker run team?? While there is some amazing hardware at poker runs,
I would say most dont want to take a Race cat of the same caliber into a turn with 4 or 5 other cats.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDadys93x

could be 2 reasons ...

1 its the weekend (some people actually do stuff) and
2 alot of the racers I know dont venture out of the racing section
Old 08-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Racegirl3
could be 2 reasons ...

1 its the weekend (some people actually do stuff) and
2 alot of the racers I know dont venture out of the racing section
Exactly....More so #2.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 881 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Beak Boater
I have to run my Fountain that way.....its the only way I can keep up with the World Champion Sunsations.
Chris..I do own a Ford also. Its a F350...I guess its from watching to much of the Nascar Truck series.

That was my exact point. Cigarette hadn't raced a factory boat in years and Sunsation has had a couple of boats race but were factory helped but not 100% factory sponsored. Sunsation doesn't build race boats, it is not their market. Cigarette doesn't built race boats (Skater builds them for them). The WC logo is cool but certainly not the reason anyone should buy any boat.

I certainly don't believe "Budweiser is the king of beers", Ford's "quality is job one" or even Chevrolet is the "Heartbeat of America."
Old 08-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by daredevil
Just for everyone to know..

I would earn it to, but if nobody shows up in my class and do plus spend the $ to go there ,...............wy did i not earn it ?

I do know what you mean but i cant make the other teams show up.

And if you pull the money plug in OPA ,lets see who is going to be there . If there still is an OPA.

Who ever whants to race me to find out ,bring it on.
What im saying is that if you show up and there isnt anyone to race against would you be able to feel good calling yourself a national or world champ? I guess what Im saying is there is a serious flaw in the system as we know it in offshore and too many people out there calling themselves national or world champ when there wasnt any competion to race against. (I think we all know some people who have been doing this for the last few years)

Quick Reply: National Champion ...legit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.