Notices

National Champion ...legit?

Old 08-12-2008, 12:20 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by boatme
Now that is the best reason for going boat racing i have heard in quit a while.

As long as you know that is why you are there i totaly think you are there for the right reasons

Good luck and HAVE FUN
If it's just about fun, I suggest Poker Runs. Everybody is a winner in those events.

If you want to engender fan interest, and a broad base of sponsor opportunities, you need competition and winners and losers, and in most motorsports even the back markers get more sponsor dollars than Offshore's alleged "winners".
Old 08-12-2008, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't get me started. When the OPBRA became APBA Offshore, I was the US Delegate to the UIM. My job was keeping the APBA rules aligned with the UIM rules, and vice versa. We were able to do that for many years. We had furriners by the gobs in those days, and lots of our guys raced all over Europe. Then the ego crisis hit, and it all went to (rhymes with it). I think the closest thing to parity is P1. I guess if you boil it down, we are 'club racing', like the SCCA.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:25 PM
Registered

My point is he is going to get nothing more out of it than fun right now

Nothing wrong with having fun as long as you have all the safety requirements met and can be proffesional on how you approach it
Old 08-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Registered

Like brownie said it is "CLUB RACING "
Old 08-12-2008, 12:32 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by boatme
I agree

Rich,

The big question is can it be done, and who can do it ?

According to his PR machine John Haggin is "revolutionizing" the sport.

Certainly he can fund it.

There are a bunch of guys who can run it:

Linder

Steve David

Brownie

Tom D'eath

and others

Bottom line

One feature class where you put your stars, plus a handful ( read 2 or 3) of "farm" classes for development of future champions.

This has worked in every other motorsports venue (including Offshore back in the day).....and it ain't brain surgery.

T2x
Old 08-12-2008, 12:50 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by daredevil
You mean you guys did not run 80's ??????

The old races look faster !?
It depends on the era........

Basically in the 60's the boats ran 45-65 mph

in the 70's the boats ran 70-80

in the 80's the speeds went from 80-140 ( and to some of us that was the "golden age")

by the 90's speeds over 150 were commonplace

T2x
Old 08-12-2008, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by daredevil
I am racing in P-4 (my rookie year) i own the old MR ZIP AEROTEK which was an A-Class boat.
I would love to have that class back where they tell you 510 ci NA and go as fast as you can.
My opinion, to race in a "breakout class" is affordable to a lot of people who would not be close to competitive in the old classes. That is because in the entry level classes, some people, "to remain unmentioned", will lay up a lighter than heck raceboat, put in a 510 ci engine that was built and tested by the guru's of NASCAR or ?, add a professional driver and throttleman who have been competing and being paid for years, and then brag about how they kicked everyones butts. Find two or three affordable classes and two or three elite classes and put together a program. The only current way to race on a limited budget and be competitive is in the brackets. I'm glad they attract racers to participate, one of these days it will be my wife and I. If you eliminated all the bracket racers, and all of the classes where only one boat showed, how many participants would have been on the course at St. Clair?

On another note, would the Miami Water Stadium support an offshore venue? At St. Clair, I enjoyed the short course more than the long course, and in Key West, I enjoyed the shorrt course, (due to roughness in about 99?), more than the old long course. I know it's fun to race way offshore, but it is not fan friendly.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:21 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Ratickle
On another note, would the Miami Water Stadium support an offshore venue? At St. Clair, I enjoyed the short course more than the long course, and in Key West, I enjoyed the shorrt course, (due to roughness in about 99?), more than the old long course. I know it's fun to race way offshore, but it is not fan friendly.
The Marine Stadium is interesting in that during the old 6 and 9 hour marathon days, only one turn was actually in the stadium. The west end has entrance and exit channels so the race boats would spend most of the race on a boomerang shaped course out in Biscayne Bay and come into the stadium and make a u turn on the short course buoys at the east end after running past the stands. They would then run down the back straight and continue out the northernmost exit channel to the rest of the race course. I suppose Offshore boats could do the same. After all they are now running on the 2 1/2 mile Gold Cup course in Detroit. I think the challenge would be getting the permission to race on the main part of Biscayne Bay.

T2x
Old 08-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
The Marine Stadium is interesting in that during the old 6 and 9 hour marathon days, only one turn was actually in the stadium. The west end has entrance and exit channels so the race boats would spend most of the race on a boomerang shaped course out in Biscayne Bay and come into the stadium and make a u turn on the short course buoys at the east end after running past the stands. They would then run down the back straight and continue out the northernmost exit channel to the rest of the race course. I suppose Offshore boats could do the same. After all they are now running on the 2 1/2 mile Gold Cup course in Detroit. I think the challenge would be getting the permission to race on the main part of Biscayne Bay.

T2x

Get John Haggin and his new association in touch with the city, the family that donated it, and see what can happen. The city must notice the $ brought into KW at the world's and potentially the Stadium would be packed. The skiffs in St Clair were fun to watch for between heats.

Could you see most of the course in the Bay from the stands?

I know it's not easy, but the group saving the stadium, you guys, Haggin and his group, and maybe Steve David with his Unlimited contacts could get it going. NASCAR is popular because they limit the cars on the run-away tracks to make it close for excitement and you can see the entire track friom the stands. Somehow offshore needs a Daytona type venue which can be observed with side by side racing after the first lap or two. Once again, my opinion.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A guy told me once to be "world cnampion" you only needed the "best truck" to get you to all of the races!!!!!!

Quick Reply: National Champion ...legit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.