Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Klotz Nitro Additive (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/192909-klotz-nitro-additive.html)

Rebel_Heart 08-09-2008 01:18 PM

Klotz Nitro Additive

Is this additive safe and any benefit to engines that take 93 octane? Just wanted to use to increase rpms for a race applicatoin. But don't want to use if it may cause damage. Anyone used this or anything else for this application? Thanks.

bobkatz 08-09-2008 08:20 PM

Tried it years ago in a 12.5:1 427 w/L-88 head gaskets, 108 fuel. The boat went about 1000ft and melted a head gasket between two & four w/evidence that all were getting ready to go. Nitro is some neat stuff but just to dump Klotz Nitro Additive in and expect it to work may be a bit optimistic. Good luck and let us know if it works!

articfriends 08-10-2008 04:26 AM

Don't do it!!! If you actually put enough in to do anything you will most likely damage your motor. It does NOT stay mixed well with gas,you could actually get a pretty strong slug of it to your motor if you put enough in and it is seperated and is around your fuel pickup.
About ten years ago I used to sponsor a circle track car,built them a nice SBC,trans and rear end. The owner constantly wanted to put a voodoo mix of fuel crap in it and I always refused. Towards the middle of the season at mid season champion ships he begged me to let him run some stuff called "hot lap",claimed EVERYONE winning was running it. I caved and told him go ahead BUT just run it for qualifying and follow their instructions to the letter (extra jetting/reduced timing etc). I went to the bank to finish applying for a mortgage that friday and showed up to the track late. Everyone started walking up to me before I got down to the car in the pits asking me what happened to our motor:eek:. When I got there they were all standing around with the hood off staring at each other dumbfounded. They had some plugs out that were melted right off to nothing,the oil was full of water,motor was completely destroyed. I asked them WTF happened. "I dunno" said the car owner,we just put a little nitro in and I guess it must have blown up!!! These dumb fuks waited until thursday to order the stuff from texas to Mi and found out it couldn't go over night air (haz mat) so they took it upon them selves to go to the local hobby center and buy a gallon of 70% nitro/30 % methanol or what ever it is they sell for the little cox airplanes and cars. They mixed that with 5 gallons of race gas and ran it for a few warm up laps and tried to qualify. The car started popping then motor came apart. I asked them how much bigger the went with the jets and how much timing they took out and they just gave me a stupid look (they ran it the way it was-TUNED TO THE EDGE:rolleyes:). When I tore the motor down it had detonated pistons in half,cracked the heads,blew gaskets,cracked cylinders etc. We were the laughing stock in the pits for the rest of the season:angry-smiley-038:. Needless to say I would never think of screwing around with the stuff again BUT if you choose to add jet and pull timing out,flush your fuel system out afterwards,change your oil,it is corrosive,Smitty

Rebel_Heart 08-10-2008 10:56 AM

Thanks for the replies. Guess, I will stay clear of that. Appreciate the heads up!

Lee 08-10-2008 04:02 PM

Years ago I melted the pistons in my drag sled with that stuff and I followed the directions to the T.