Best rough water boat ever built?????

Notices

Best rough water boat ever built?????

Old 08-20-2008, 02:24 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BLee
Guys........we ALL had the Cigarette and Apache posters, and ad's cut out with scissors on our walls. They were what shaped most of our dream of having one someday.

As great as they are, they just aren't up to the task today. It doesn't make them any less cool or respected, but you can't honestly expect a 1988 41 Apache to have a prayer against the new competition. I absolutely love the classic deep vee's, especially redone. It's just ridiculous to assume that 75-85mph can get it done in todays racing environment.
Predator did well in today's small water races. Imagine it in what it was designed for. Open Ocean Racing.

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 08-20-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
This thread needs to be broken down into specific catagories to have any real validity.

"The Best Rough Water Boat Ever Built":

2. with a driver/throttleman who has no clue.
Originally Posted by T2x
OOOOH this is S-O-O-O-O tempting...........

T2x

We're waiting!!
Old 08-20-2008, 08:21 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
Predator did well in today's small water races. Imagine it in what it was designed for. Open Ocean Racing.
Trust me, I know they are awesome, and I have so many "favorite Apache's".

Their day has passed in the racing world though, just like the old flat deck Cigarette's and Larry Smith Scarabs. They had a chance to prove something recently in the Don Aronow Race but none of them entered: http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...light=twistana

That doesn't in any way mean I wouldn't have one.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:44 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had lots of boats. Too many to count in all. Most recently some pretty bad azz ones. Maybe not Triple X or American Muscle, but def in the top tiers.

The more I look at all the new stuff the more I lean toward an old redone Apache or Cig. A 41 or even a 47. I think it's more realistic to have/enjoy those boats if you regularly boat along the coast.

They are battleships in the rough and are just plain cool when rafted up with everyone.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DollaBill
Maybe not Triple diggits or American Muscle, but def in the top tiers.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:41 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BLee
Trust me, I know they are awesome, and I have so many "favorite Apache's".

Their day has passed in the racing world though, just like the old flat deck Cigarette's and Larry Smith Scarabs. They had a chance to prove something recently in the Don Aronow Race but none of them entered: http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...light=twistana

That doesn't in any way mean I wouldn't have one.
I can't speak for all the Apache people as to why they did not enter that race. But my guess would be they knew it would not be a true rough water race, as that is the time of the year when those waters are calm.
But, if that makes you feel they are afraid of the cats in rough Open Ocean conditions.... Ok.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
I can't speak for all the Apache people as to why they did not enter that race. But my guess would be they knew it would not be a true rough water race, as that is the time of the year when those waters are calm.
But, if that makes you feel they are afraid of the cats in rough Open Ocean conditions.... Ok.
I really dont think that was the case either, I really dont believe they would of gone even if it was rough. Even though I would of loved to see those oldschool boats going at it in the rough........The reality is that most of the Apaches around have been restored with alot of $$$$$$$$$ and the owners that would of been able to make the date, travel, etc didnt want to mess up their hardware....Imo.

By the way I dont believe they are afraid of the cats in rough condition either......
Old 08-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 151 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lowblue320
I really dont think that was the case either, I really dont believe they would of gone even if it was rough. Even though I would of loved to see those oldschool boats going at it in the rough........The reality is that most of the Apaches around have been restored with alot of $$$$$$$$$ and the owners that would of been able to make the date, travel, etc didnt want to mess up their hardware....Imo.

By the way I dont believe they are afraid of the cats in rough condition either......
i wish i could have done it this year... i dont mind messin up hardware either. hell with all the money i have in this thing whats a motor or 2. but i got a race/pleasure so i dont think im going to be up there in the front of the pack anyway. but my beer wont spill as miss geico passes me and i wave at em, might even take a nap on the way back from half way point. lol
Old 08-21-2008, 07:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I seem to remember Predator doing OK a little while back, down in Key West.

There's no such thing as "the best". There's only "the best that day".
Old 08-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by panicrev613
apache 41. i love the warpath vid from pt. pleasant in the late eighties. its in the apache forum i think... but i am no expert.
Still mesmerized watching it run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7mSx...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cSR2Hay6uc

Last edited by Quicksilver; 08-21-2008 at 07:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Best rough water boat ever built?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.