Best rough water boat ever built?????

Old 09-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Nauti Kitty
Dude, is this your best effort at showing how good skater is in big water? Nk
Here is your answer to a question I posted on which
is better in the rough Cat or Vee.
Out of all who answered your post pretty much summed it up.
You are Parnell right?

How can you respect my opinion if you don't even know who I am?
My .02 cents worth.
By the early 90's, as several people already said, the 40 Skaters were pounding the 47 Apache's ( Best rough water v ever) in big water and everyone quit racing them because they couldn't keep up. Size for size the "good" cats will be faster if JT is driving. IMHO a 47 Apache/Saber will be more comfortable and a little safer if you don't have to go wide open because as someone said you don't need to be on top going wide open to go somewhere in the v like a cat. No middle speed for a cat in rough water and the faster you are going the more chance to make a mistake. This summer the new 47 Saber will have plenty of time to square off with Ruthless and we can see how they fair on a rough day in Lake Michigan. Comom summer. NK

Well I see Ruthless is up on the block. How did the square offs
go?

KR
Old 09-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

True UIM World Championship 1987 Key West 32 Skater triple outboards. That was the best one against the best competitor. There were a few others also and one missed by 3-4 points out of 1200+ - Picture of boat was on the ABPA magazine and the great competitor coming out of Key West harbor . I have been playing with road race car since I stopped, but there is nothing like offshore. I hear it is not the same as it was years ago.

The rougher the better. The harder the turn the better, a dime is a big turn. I am getting sucked in here that is why I never posted I miss it to much.

Last edited by Old World Champ; 09-03-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Old World Champ

how many cats out there are just pops and redo's of a Skater?
I'm not sure and I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, I'm in West Michigan - Home of Skater. Friend's race Skaters, I'd get destroyed by one of them - rough water or not.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ChiefApache89
$$$$$$$$$$$$$ had everything to do with us not making that run.

We own an Apache....doesn't make us rich by any stretch of the means.

What it means is that we own a boat that's great in rough water......it means we spend more money to try and keep up on the maintenance so we're not hit with a big ticket dollar amount in repairs (which will happen at some point) because she does have big HP.

We don't have to prove anything to anyone about how well our 41 Apache performs. We experience it, live it and love it.

We didn't buy the boat so that we could go out in big water and prove anything. We bought the boat because I was afraid in our 31 when we got into water over 3 feet. I told my husband to please buy us a boat that when we did get into big water (and yes, sometimes it's because we do go out to run in big water, but if it is rough when we're on a trip we know we can get back), we would get back safely without beating the hell out of us and our boat.

That's what we got when we purchased our old Apache. And we'd do it all over again in a heartbeat!
Knowing the water that you boat in, I would call that a safety purchase! All "roughs" were not created equal.
Swells... wouldn't they be nice. Instead you get ever changing close steep sets. And you have the washing machine around the Islands sometimes.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of all the boats that compeeted in P1 i Europe, the Fountain outran everything, and the seas were sometimes rougher than what I have seen in Key West when I was there.

I vote for Fountain. I have not heared about Fountains that fell apart to this day...
Old 09-07-2008, 05:01 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
I can't speak for all the Apache people as to why they did not enter that race. But my guess would be they knew it would not be a true rough water race, as that is the time of the year when those waters are calm.
But, if that makes you feel they are afraid of the cats in rough Open Ocean conditions.... Ok.
I was there, I ran it and I won my class, the water was perfect for an old V with big power...1-2 ft chop to keep it aerated and I fully believe that a 41 or 47 with comparable power to gino would have given them a run for the money...I would have liked to see it, as I'm sure some of the old racers would have too...i know they would have, because we all talked about it sitting under the palm tree washing my boat....
Old 09-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
I was there, I ran it and I won my class, the water was perfect for an old V with big power...1-2 ft chop to keep it aerated and I fully believe that a 41 or 47 with comparable power to gino would have given them a run for the money...I would have liked to see it, as I'm sure some of the old racers would have too...i know they would have, because we all talked about it sitting under the palm tree washing my boat....
1 to 2 ft chop is small water, an Apache would never catch Gino in that. 6 ft plus is where they do what they do.
They still look good in it though!
http://media.putfile.com/Sacred-Ground-68

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 09-07-2008 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by KNOT-RIGHT
Here is your answer to a question I posted on which
is better in the rough Cat or Vee.
Out of all who answered your post pretty much summed it up.
You are Parnell right?

Well I see Ruthless is up on the block. How did the square offs
go?

KR
One, I was kidding him about his examples.
Two Some azzhole named Mike Vorce f*cked up ever getting a 47 Saber to run against Ruthless but thats another story. I still believe what I said and I watched Kemosabe get to Beaver Island way ahead of everyone else in some rough water this summer in Boyne Thunder but racing has clearly proved over the years that cats are tough to beat. NK
Old 09-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

One, I was kidding him about his examples.
Two Some azzhole named Mike Vorce f*cked up ever getting a 47 Saber to run against Ruthless but thats another story. I still believe what I said and I watched Kemosabe get to Beaver Island way ahead of everyone else in some rough water this summer in Boyne Thunder but racing has clearly proved over the years that cats are tough to beat. NK
I realize you were kidding. I stand behind your reply.
(Really you were the only one who set it straight)
I run a Turbine 46 in Ocean rollers and she is a handful.
Sometimes slowing down a little and running a big heavy
vee makes more sense.

Then again when she gets real ruff I will sit it out on a bar
stool
Old 09-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Old World Champ
True UIM World Championship 1987 Key West 32 Skater triple outboards. That was the best one against the best competitor. There were a few others also and one missed by 3-4 points out of 1200+ - Picture of boat was on the ABPA magazine and the great competitor coming out of Key West harbor . I have been playing with road race car since I stopped, but there is nothing like offshore. I hear it is not the same as it was years ago.

The rougher the better. The harder the turn the better, a dime is a big turn. I am getting sucked in here that is why I never posted I miss it to much.
No way a 32 Skater can be considered a great rough water boat. Been against one, it got passed. Now, a 40' skater is another story................

Quick Reply: Best rough water boat ever built?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.