Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
And now for something completely different.....The "Wing" has taken Flight ...... >

And now for something completely different.....The "Wing" has taken Flight ......

Notices

And now for something completely different.....The "Wing" has taken Flight ......

Old 08-18-2008, 03:50 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Magicfloat
Rich,I don't know if Bob Switzer even gets on line,but someone needs to make sure he and Dave see this thread. This is one of the best tributes to their genius and their designs of nearly 50 years ago.
I'm sure they know about it as it has been all over the Switzer website for the past few days.

I spoke to Bob when we first got the hull and he was/is skeptical regarding the V-6's........

T2x
Old 08-19-2008, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 200 Likes on 79 Posts

Rich....the boat looks fantastic. I am just getting home from the Clayton NY Antique Boat races, so I am a little late on this thread.

What a great feeling it must be to have completed the project. Listen, I would be honored to fill that other seat any time you need some extra "ballast".

Here is a shot of some of the old race boats this past weekend. The first one is of an old Seebold Unlimited triple outboard....anyone interested in a project this winter, here it is.

The next is a an Allison....you know the one who had the "Beak" before you know who.

And the last is another great example of Switzer boats.
Attached Thumbnails And now for something completely different.....The "Wing" has taken Flight ......-clayton-ny-museum-001-small-.jpg   And now for something completely different.....The "Wing" has taken Flight ......-clayton-ny-museum-026-small-.jpg   And now for something completely different.....The "Wing" has taken Flight ......-clayton-ny-museum-023-small-.jpg  

Old 08-19-2008, 12:02 PM
RBT
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Picture one, I think is the Texmo Moth, was power by 3 3.4liter merc motors.. if I remember correctly.
That would be the ultimate restoration. Getting the motors right would be near impossible, as I understand it there were VERY few motors built for it. something like 9, I know a collector has 2 of them.

RT
Old 08-19-2008, 05:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Rich....the boat looks fantastic. I am just getting home from the Clayton NY Antique Boat races, so I am a little late on this thread.

What a great feeling it must be to have completed the project. Listen, I would be honored to fill that other seat any time you need some extra "ballast".

Here is a shot of some of the old race boats this past weekend. The first one is of an old Seebold Unlimited triple outboard....anyone interested in a project this winter, here it is.

The next is a an Allison....you know the one who had the "Beak" before you know who.

And the last is another great example of Switzer boats.
beautful boats .love that alley . wish it was mine
Old 08-19-2008, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats on your madien voyage,good luck with it tripps
Old 08-20-2008, 06:44 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

has anyone ever built a model and put it in a wind tunnel?
Congrats, nice job R+D Luhrs
Old 08-20-2008, 07:25 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for sharing the project, fantastic job you've done there. Love seeing pics of those big old tall Mercs.

I did see this 20' Switzer Wing for sale.
http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/5623