Notices

Any HVAC guys out there?

Old 08-19-2008, 06:48 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Any HVAC guys out there?

Please forgive this non-boating question, I'll make it short.

Have a heat pump for my pool (well actually it's used mostly for the hot tub) - company is out of bussiness (Peregrine). It has lost it's gas, before I go leak checking and find someone to charge it how do I figure out what it has? There is no tag I can see. In the old days I would assume R22. Bought it in 02 or so.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:09 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

more than likely R22 ...

look at the compressor tag (there should be a tag on the compressor indicating what you are looking for)...if not, get the MN and SN of the compressor and either post here or call around for a nearby supplier and they should be able to tell you.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Marc

It is Scott, the guy that was drinking margaritas on your boat in the Bahamas a month ago with Michael and the girls. I have been in the pool business for the past 19 years. Don't spend a whole lot on that unit to get it going again. They only have a life span of 8-10 years but heavier salt exposure will kill the coils. The unit should take regular freon like an a/c unit since a heat pump is really a reverse cycle a/c unit.

Next time around buy a Aquacal (aquacal.com) and enjoy a high efficiency, FL made unit. Their biggest wholesaler is on powerline/Cypress Creek and they are made in St. Petersburg, FL.

PM me if you get in a jam.....
Old 08-19-2008, 07:52 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Thanks guys,

I'll take another look tommorrow, the compresser has a thermal blanket around it, I'll have to pull it.

Scott, not sure if I knew that, I don't remember much from that weekend

Yes, I am on the fence as to getting rid of it. Had to fix the pc board more than once. Still has pressure in it so I think the coils are OK, looks like some oil on a compression fitting on the high side so I'm hoping that is the leak. I sure won't put any real money in it.

I do have a hook-up over there. I was looking at the Jandy, you like the Aquacal better?
Old 08-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbam
Thanks guys,

Scott, not sure if I knew that, I don't remember much from that weekend

I do have a hook-up over there. I was looking at the Jandy, you like the Aquacal better?
You had wedding proposals on your mind that weekend!

The Jandy unit is a re-branded Air Energy which was manufactured on Cypress Creek just west of Powerline. Jandy closed that plant and has them produced elsewhere.

The Aquacals seem to have far less problems and are serviced by factory techs. The Jandy warranty division uses outside vendors/ 3rd party to fix their stuff resulting in delays/ poor quality work. The Aquacal guy is there within 48 hours and is an actual ACal employee, no stories just gets it done. Until this year they had an incredible warranty 10 years on major components, 5 years on everything. However the trend in the industry is now shorter warrantees so they shortened it to 5 years major components- no labor/ 2 years on everything.

I have owned both and have sold Aquacals exclusively for about 8 years now. My current unit is 7 years old, runs from Oct to May (pool is always 88 degrees) and the unit has had ONE service call due to a bad mode switch (wouldn't switch from pool mode to spa mode quick enough).
The Aquacals all have titanium heat exchangers now so the pool water/ chemicals can't destroy them like the copper ones.