Notices

Oso Steve

Old 08-21-2008, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oso Steve

Is Steve still around ???

has anyone talked to him ???

I am wondering what he thinks of the current mess with IB or if he is off to other ventures

Is he still boating or has this job ruined the fun for him

Inquiring minds want to know
Old 08-21-2008, 07:13 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I was just thinking about this yesterday.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If he is, he's either not involving himself in board problems/member happiness issues or they're shining him on.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:39 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

OSO Steve is now Retired Steve; and damn good for him.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

OSO Steve bought at the right time, built the business up, and then sold at just the right time - he's the Mark Cuban of the Offshore community.

I've never understood why others would slam him for doing something so quintessential American.

Hope you are enjoying the benefits of your hard work Steve.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Steve is sailing around the world on a 60 footer with a solar electrical system and 3 hot women to help run the boat. He took his lump sum IB money and shorted Fountain/ Brunswick stock and went long on oil last year.

Rumor is he turned millions into billions and left the country so Dollabill and Cashbar couldn't find him!
Old 08-21-2008, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right place, right time, Good 4 him! Party on Steve!!
Old 08-21-2008, 12:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mccaffertee
I think it takes a lot to switch over - why not give them some time to make everything work before coming down on them? These transitions can take months, to maintain all the data thats logged on here, it's not a simple cut and paste thing.

I say go easy on them!
Not quite.

OSO worked very well until their server migration. They could have left it on the old one and when it didn't work right, they could have immediately switched back and then gone on to solve their problems.

They're not creating any new technology. In fact, they're running a piece of canned bulletin board software. And, ironically, they own the company that created this software, vBulletin. Even more ironic, virtually all of their thousands of customers who run this package are able to enjoy sites that load promptly.

So, what does that say about IB?

Lastly, if this were Ebay or Amazon or Dell, these slow page loads would have been fixed in mere moments. Stuff like this is kryptonite to customers and a couple months of diddling around with server issues would put any of those companes into bankruptcy.

Sorry to be harsh, but I led the "let's be reasonable" charge when the big cry went out to abandon OSO over their bungled buyout. And they f.ucked each and every one of us as a result. They've not done one single thing but make this site less of what it was. They don't even bother to extend any of us the courtesy of keeping us informed or answering our questions.

They don't treat me as a friend, they don't even treat me as a customer. I'm done defending them.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
They don't even bother to extend any of us the courtesy of keeping us informed or answering our questions.

They don't treat me as a friend, they don't even treat me as a customer. I'm done defending them.

They're a big corporation...they don't give one sh!t about you, me, or any other member. Once the $$ start going away then they'll pretend to care. They won't be getting any $$ from me when the time comes. Nobody has our back anymore, it sucks. Oh...don't be looking for anymore OSO parties at the Miami Boat Show either

Last edited by Indy; 08-21-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mccaffertee
These transitions can take months,
That would be a fair enough statement if we were talking about a random non-internet based company switching servers. Bob's car dealership, Chris' company, my little outfit here.

But IB is in the business of buying forums and "transitioning" them. They are a huge public company holding enormous assets. They have offices around the world. They paid like 50 million for forums just the first half of 2008. They have 47 job postings for their growing company.

They flat out do not care one iota about the membership of this site. They are into bigger numbers and growth, baby growth. They rarely moderate this site, preferring to let us slug it out like Lord of the Flies.

OSO Steve is a genius. I was upset at first because I incorrectly felt that we were owed some notice. That notice (having come from Steve in advance) would have killed the deal. God bless him. I hope that he did very well and that retirement is agreeing with him. He should be proud that he ran this forum better than "professional" forum gobblers.

As for me, I really don't like the other boat sites that much. I think that I may try to outlast these jokers. Maybe shame will eventually kick in when they realized that they bled all the value out of this forum in 6 months due to unavoidable tech problems and highly avoidable PR problems. Their CTO should be replaced. This was more of a PR debacle than a tech fiasco. The PR director should be exiled on Elba.

Quick Reply: Oso Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.