Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Do you drive on or winch on the trailer? >

Do you drive on or winch on the trailer?

Notices

Do you drive on or winch on the trailer?

Old 08-26-2008, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We float it on the trailer and winch it up.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:54 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
I actually do a combination of both. Drive boat onto trailer till it gets a little sticky and give it enough throttle to get to about 1000rpms. Its usually with a foot or two away by then. Then just leave drives in forward at idle rpm and winch it up the rest of the way. The wife usally winches it while I'm in the boat. No way she could do it without me applying power.

Like was said earlier, you pretty much have to power the boat onto the trailer at steep ramps and thats all we have.

The way my boat sits in combination with the steepness of ramps, I have to power off the trailer as well. It does not hurt any of our ramps anyway. They are concrete and then drop off into muddy silt.
Same here!
Old 08-26-2008, 08:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Funny, we think the same thing about the winch-on guys at our ramps. It all comes down to trailer placement in the water. I can load by myself...have had to do it for years due to a lame duck wife. I hit the center of the trailer slowly, let it glide up, burp the throttle once, twice max, and I have the bow eye right up against the roller. Hop off the bow to the trailer, attach the strap and crank her tight, and I'm off and on my way. No muss, no fuss, and have not tore one thing up in 11 years of doing it. I've seen others at the ramp that appear to be full throttle trying to drive the boat, trailer, and truck clear up the ramp. Those are the guys that give power loading a bad rap.
I have been doing exactly the same for years.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

I winch every single time for the reasons above.......

How about those Bass Boat guys........they were having a tournament a few weeks back and like 150 of them powerloaded in a row........I had to leave
Old 08-26-2008, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
I winch every single time for the reasons above.......

How about those Bass Boat guys........they were having a tournament a few weeks back and like 150 of them powerloaded in a row........I had to leave
They are the worst and it's because of pure lazyness. As someone said if you have a big boat thats tough to load and you "bump" the throttle I don't have a huge problem with it.

But I REALLY have a problem with the fat azzes that run their boats up to 4000 rpm to load their 19' bass boat because their to effin lazy to get out and do it right.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger

How about those Bass Boat guys.......
I think the proper term is Bass holes
Old 08-27-2008, 03:10 PM
Registered

Bass boats are the ONLY boats with trailers designed for driving on. If your engines are on when you put it on the trailer, you did it wrong. That said, bass boaters are usually still idiots.

Boat ramps are, and always will be an abundant source of amusement. I saw a guy with a new 33ish sunsation back his trailer so far down a steep ramp that when he hooked the bow up, the transom must have been 3' off the trailer. By the time he started to pull out, the keel was over the trailer wheels. I hollared at him but he didn't stop... at the top of the ramp, the boat had clunked down into position.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I winch the boat every time.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wet the bunks completely then leave 2 or so feet showing and winch it up. I'm probably going to put some of that super slippery plastic bunk material on the front bunks only and re-do the rear bunks in carpet. I want the boat to winch up easily but don't want the whole beast on that super slippery stuff when transporting. - good luck - Jeff
Old 08-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Registered

Power on man I don't like to get my trailer wheels wet so I BACK TO THE EDGE OF THE WATER put down to greased up 2x6s to make a ramp line the boat up and hit it, only once I flew over the trailer in topick up bed oh this is TD I came up to mass and tied artie up on his 50th b day the other day and am using his computor/wife/jeep , but his baja is still missing stuff so power on OH Ardie qiut cring Iam leafing toknight and will untie you. look at the spilling I told you ites me TD GOING TOE KNOT RIGHTS NEXT THEN DOLLABILL MIKE SICK STINGERRR ICE HAAHAHAAHHAAA NO ONCE MEESS WITH TD I TELLYAH

Last edited by AIR TIME; 08-27-2008 at 08:42 PM.