Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Apba Starts!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/19391-apba-starts.html)

TYPHOON 03-04-2002 05:41 PM

Apba Starts!!

Instead of the standered mill in a circle and everyone trying to get in lane one, what if you were lined up in a line with the highest points boat in lane 1 and second highest in lane 2 ect. We then could all get a fair start and space ourselves out before we take off.I dont understand all this milling and chance luck as to who you start next to. YOU SHOULD EARN YOUR STARTING POSITION.

We have had some really ugly starts for no reason other being in the back of the mill when the pace boat takes off. If they lift the green early and dont give you a chance to move to the line it sucks.And I dont want to hear that we werent ready to go either! With 45 offshore races under our belt trust me we know where to be.

WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK OF A START LIKE THAT?

Randy

puder 03-04-2002 06:00 PM

do it LeMans style.

the boats are parked lined up in row and you have to run to em :D

puder 03-04-2002 06:11 PM

in all seriousness at eth SBI race in NYC last summer firewater somehow missed the start and about half a lap in they realized and ran to thier baot and hauled ass out of liberty marina (i think they might have breached the 5mph zone a little)

It was trip to see a boatlike that moving so fast that close to shore. I think teh spectators enjoyed it. I know i got my best picture from the whole race right there of them goign like 70 in a no wake zone(nest year i need a bigger telephoto lense)

TYPHOON 03-04-2002 08:31 PM

Puder I'm not talking about missing the race because your stuck at the docks.I'm talking about a bad start when you are in the mill. Its alot of work to get there to only get pinched out by boats on both side running loose for 100 yards and then you have all there **** water to get through to get in the game.
Been there,done that!!!

Randy

WHIPLASH RACING 03-04-2002 09:15 PM

Candy,
Sorry I mean Randy!!!! LOL!!!! Try putting that on the APBA website if you have not already. Pu tit on there and I may know how to get some high ups to look at it. See you in Daytona!!!!!
Dennis P Tracey:D

26scarab 03-04-2002 09:19 PM

Don't the Class1 guys over in Europe do it in order of who has the fastest Pole speed ?
I know they have some sort a qualifing thing.

Jeff 03-04-2002 09:22 PM

that is why the orange smoke. When you see the smoke you need to get your boat pointed and ready to go. You can usually time it to go around one more time, or just go wide and get ready to go. I've never been penalized for getting out of line. You know the rules just say not on plane, so get on it but not on plane to get where you need to be. I always go for the far outside anyway so the dumbasses that think you will move so they can squeeze you are not near you, oh thats one reason I run a canopy boat, we won't move over for anyone if we are in the hunt.

puder 03-05-2002 01:05 AM

typhoon i know what you meant. I was just saying that when firewater flew passed the crown 50' from shore it was pretty damn cool. And if all ethboat swer ina dock and all teh driver had to run to them hop in start up and take off well it woudl be a sight and a half :D

and yes i think teh millgin circle is kind of wierd. I've read the rule on starts several times and i'm still not totally clear. I am goign to haev to have it explained to me inperson at some point by someone who really knows.

FYI i want to try to race in a p class next year :D

see you at the OPA races this summer

Hauling Trash 03-05-2002 09:42 AM

read the rule book.its saids you have to mill but it does not say you have to go in a circle .all you have to do is move the boat.let the rest go around and you set there going left to right.pot it in gear and out of gear.

read the book.

mike

Audiofn 03-05-2002 10:02 AM

I seem to remember you HAVE to turn left in the milling area. I know that at leaste one boat was penalized for turning right a while back. I am not sure what option they have other then the mill. How do you line up a bunch of boats like that in swells? It could be very hard. Also how do you decide who runs in what possition? I think it is not fair to say the points leader gets to start in slot X. Just some ideas for ya.

Jon