Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Is Don Johnson still in the sport in any way? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/194488-don-johnson-still-sport-any-way.html)

7xchamp 09-03-2008 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 2673293)
So we land at Michigan to cover the race that Richie mentioned......... and let me preface this by saying that Mr. Powers is one of my favorite people...and a truly great racing talent, but our experiences have occasionally been different with joint acquaintances.

Streisand's "ground security", approximately 5 burly guys, "ordered" our pilot off the landing pad as the diva was scheduled to fly in shortly thereafter. We left our helicopter where we landed it and basically turned our backs on them. Minutes later two more choppers landed.....carrying Barbra and her "airborne security", approximately 7 more goons,......... The two security groups merged seemingly into one and hustled "Funny Girl" along a path through the very large marina....... basically pushing everybody they encountered out of the way (fortunately it was about 6:30 in the morning so the site was somewhat deserted.......but Babs needed her security squad).

The real drama occurred when this posse approached Don Johnson's motor home.......which was also surrounded by "security". Immediately sensing an approaching "army", Johnson's cadre took defensive action and intercepted with prejudice....... The resulting melee involved a couple of punches, some shouting, and frantic hand held radio communication, before cooler heads prevailed.

Our "Executive Producer", the unflappable Phil Lewis, inquired if we might have a pre-race interview with Mr. Johnson. The harsh response told us that he was "busy" with "prior commitments" and would be available later. Phil asked me if I thought we should wait while Don and Babs had each other for breakfast. My response was to walk toward the boats and look for real racers......... but I did whistle "People" as we departed.

Moral of this story....... If you are going to get interested in boat racing because some celeb(s) is/are involved........... you need to seriously think about getting a life.

P.S.--- Kurt, Goldie, James Caan, Bruce Jenner, Hulk Hogan, Chuck Norris and many others were very nice and very approachable...........(H*ll we even brought Steven Stills into it) but the sport needs to find its own identity....and attract people like that naturally........without using them as yet another cheap, trumped up come on.

T2x

Funny thing about that race is I was racing with Al Copland in the Goetz boat. I didn`t even know Don then. As for Don, he had a lgitimate love of the sport, and pursued it as a racer, the rest was his baggage, which went along with the territory. As far as Chuck Norris, that was all Copeland as only Al could do. Hogan was all Wellcraft hype, as was D.J. when it all started. Jenner was the idea of the Little Ceaser guy, as was Julie Brown. Why did they do it ?????????????? who knows, but it was idividual owners and companies who wanted to atract attention to themselves or to the product, I don`t believe for a second that it was to draw people to the sport of offshore, it was just for ego`s. OPT or APBA were not the ones who solicited the movie stars, when they appeared it was just a bonus in the eyes of the promoter.

T2x 09-03-2008 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by 7xchamp (Post 2673319)
Funny thing about that race is I was racing with Al Copland in the Goetz boat. .

You always got the BEST rides.................

Now let's set the rules for this "Legends" thing. You could be "Richie" for the event and I will be "Rich"...or you can simply be "Mr. Powers" and I will be the "velvet toned and distinguished Mr. Luhrs":D:D:D

VinMan 09-03-2008 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by mccaffertee (Post 2673170)
I guess if this sport couldn't make it then, with all the money, stars, TV coverage, millions of people, can it ever? sounds like it had all the ingredients of big budget - so what went wrong?

Back then the sport was in its heyday. Like you said ,stars, tv coverage=publicity. Thats what drew people. Honestly, do you think anyone knows who a certain boat racer is, other than his fellow racers? Or a few loyal fans? As far as racing fans, most are fellow performance boat owners. Which is a small fraction of total boaters out there. A powerboat racer will never be a household name, like some of the big league auto racers. Aint happening!
The thing that ruined and split this sport is EGOS. Plain and simple.

gmhdfan 09-03-2008 04:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
He always seemed assessable around the docks. I think the trick was not to treat him like a star. Didn't he start out in Gentry's Scarab?

Edward R. Cozzi 09-03-2008 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by baddogz28 (Post 2673132)
Sounds like the race used in the Fountain DVD. :food-smiley-007:

No, Fountain didn't finish that one. The only reason we finished second to "Popeyes Fried Chicken", (Chuck Norris & Bob Idoni), was because "Little Caesars Pizza", (Peter Markey & Tres Martin) and "Team USA", (Don Johnson & Richie Powers) both broke something that slowed them down enough for us to catch them on the last lap.

The Fountain was first to the first checkpoint, but never a threat again.

Top Banana 09-03-2008 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 2673346)

Now let's set the rules for this "Legends" thing. You could be "Richie" for the event and I will be "Rich"...or you can simply be "Mr. Powers" and I will be the "velvet toned and distinguished Mr. Luhrs":D:D:D

So what you are saying here, is that everything stays the same!!!!

Edward R. Cozzi 09-03-2008 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by phragle (Post 2673153)
How about on saturdaybefore or after testing, you have the celebrity race of champions...like they do in car races..stuff them in bat boats, turn the rev limiters down a bit B or C listers shouldnt be to hard to get..Screech VS. Danny Bonaduce...suck MTV into it Tommy Lee vs. kid rock, Paris VS Lyndsy...Brittney VS K fed.... The Hoff VS. Simon.. Ernie VS Bert.. It will keep Dave busy doing paint/glasswork, but damn it wopuld be entertaining..

LOL Ernie vs Bert??

phragle 09-03-2008 05:17 PM

some of the celebs mentioned, Norrias well as a few others, Steve Mcqueen, James Garner and others raced desert as well. I think back in the day, sure it was competition, but there was probably a sense if extreme adventure that came with bouncing across baja or trucking across the open ocean. Personally, I think in both sports technology has improved upon the game so much that they have somewhat lost that mystical sense of adventure, I didn't follow offshoer back then but at least in baja, just finishing it was a sence of major accomplishment..Baja wasn't something you raced it was something you conquered... Now with 1000 hp tube chassied, fiberglass bodied 'trucks' sporting 3 feet of verticle wheel travel its become nothing more than a dusty drag race. I really like hearing the stories from you old school guys, I remember seeing races on tv back in the mid 70's, you guys were flat out getting pummeled. how any of you can stand up straight these days is beyond me..Im only 45 and raced desert for 15 years and it flat out hurts to get out of bed in the morning.

Quicksilver 09-03-2008 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by phragle (Post 2673388)
some of the celebs mentioned, Norrias well as a few others, Steve Mcqueen, James Garner and others raced desert as well. I think back in the day, sure it was competition, but there was probably a sense if extreme adventure that came with bouncing across baja or trucking across the open ocean. Personally, I think in both sports technology has improved upon the game so much that they have somewhat lost that mystical sense of adventure, I didn't follow offshoer back then but at least in baja, just finishing it was a sence of major accomplishment..Baja wasn't something you raced it was something you conquered... Now with 1000 hp tube chassied, fiberglass bodied 'trucks' sporting 3 feet of verticle wheel travel its become nothing more than a dusty drag race. I really like hearing the stories from you old school guys, I remember seeing races on tv back in the mid 70's, you guys were flat out getting pummeled. how any of you can stand up straight these days is beyond me..Im only 45 and raced desert for 15 years and it flat out hurts to get out of bed in the morning.

I love Baja racing, but do sorta agree in that its much easier for the crews now....still want to own a Trophy Truck as they are badass though lol. Whats more impressive is the dirtbike guys finishing as they take a f'n beating, great documentary was From Dust To Glory, excellent film on the Baja race.

phragle 09-03-2008 05:56 PM

wore that dvd out, also one my class racing the '88 baja 1000 on an atv., that was a dream since I was a kid and saw it on wide world of sports..same with offshore racing..sooner or later I will end up runnin a boat with numbers.