Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is Don Johnson still in the sport in any way? >

Is Don Johnson still in the sport in any way?

Notices

Is Don Johnson still in the sport in any way?

Old 09-03-2008, 04:38 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
Funny thing about that race is I was racing with Al Copland in the Goetz boat. .
You always got the BEST rides.................

Now let's set the rules for this "Legends" thing. You could be "Richie" for the event and I will be "Rich"...or you can simply be "Mr. Powers" and I will be the "velvet toned and distinguished Mr. Luhrs"
Old 09-03-2008, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mccaffertee
I guess if this sport couldn't make it then, with all the money, stars, TV coverage, millions of people, can it ever? sounds like it had all the ingredients of big budget - so what went wrong?
Back then the sport was in its heyday. Like you said ,stars, tv coverage=publicity. Thats what drew people. Honestly, do you think anyone knows who a certain boat racer is, other than his fellow racers? Or a few loyal fans? As far as racing fans, most are fellow performance boat owners. Which is a small fraction of total boaters out there. A powerboat racer will never be a household name, like some of the big league auto racers. Aint happening!
The thing that ruined and split this sport is EGOS. Plain and simple.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He always seemed assessable around the docks. I think the trick was not to treat him like a star. Didn't he start out in Gentry's Scarab?
Attached Thumbnails Is Don Johnson still in the sport in any way?-usa-dj.jpg  
Old 09-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by baddogz28
Sounds like the race used in the Fountain DVD.
No, Fountain didn't finish that one. The only reason we finished second to "Popeyes Fried Chicken", (Chuck Norris & Bob Idoni), was because "Little Caesars Pizza", (Peter Markey & Tres Martin) and "Team USA", (Don Johnson & Richie Powers) both broke something that slowed them down enough for us to catch them on the last lap.

The Fountain was first to the first checkpoint, but never a threat again.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 201 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x

Now let's set the rules for this "Legends" thing. You could be "Richie" for the event and I will be "Rich"...or you can simply be "Mr. Powers" and I will be the "velvet toned and distinguished Mr. Luhrs"
So what you are saying here, is that everything stays the same!!!!
Old 09-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by phragle
How about on saturdaybefore or after testing, you have the celebrity race of champions...like they do in car races..stuff them in bat boats, turn the rev limiters down a bit B or C listers shouldnt be to hard to get..Screech VS. Danny Bonaduce...suck MTV into it Tommy Lee vs. kid rock, Paris VS Lyndsy...Brittney VS K fed.... The Hoff VS. Simon.. Ernie VS Bert.. It will keep Dave busy doing paint/glasswork, but damn it wopuld be entertaining..
LOL Ernie vs Bert??
Old 09-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

some of the celebs mentioned, Norrias well as a few others, Steve Mcqueen, James Garner and others raced desert as well. I think back in the day, sure it was competition, but there was probably a sense if extreme adventure that came with bouncing across baja or trucking across the open ocean. Personally, I think in both sports technology has improved upon the game so much that they have somewhat lost that mystical sense of adventure, I didn't follow offshoer back then but at least in baja, just finishing it was a sence of major accomplishment..Baja wasn't something you raced it was something you conquered... Now with 1000 hp tube chassied, fiberglass bodied 'trucks' sporting 3 feet of verticle wheel travel its become nothing more than a dusty drag race. I really like hearing the stories from you old school guys, I remember seeing races on tv back in the mid 70's, you guys were flat out getting pummeled. how any of you can stand up straight these days is beyond me..Im only 45 and raced desert for 15 years and it flat out hurts to get out of bed in the morning.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:45 PM
Registered

some of the celebs mentioned, Norrias well as a few others, Steve Mcqueen, James Garner and others raced desert as well. I think back in the day, sure it was competition, but there was probably a sense if extreme adventure that came with bouncing across baja or trucking across the open ocean. Personally, I think in both sports technology has improved upon the game so much that they have somewhat lost that mystical sense of adventure, I didn't follow offshoer back then but at least in baja, just finishing it was a sence of major accomplishment..Baja wasn't something you raced it was something you conquered... Now with 1000 hp tube chassied, fiberglass bodied 'trucks' sporting 3 feet of verticle wheel travel its become nothing more than a dusty drag race. I really like hearing the stories from you old school guys, I remember seeing races on tv back in the mid 70's, you guys were flat out getting pummeled. how any of you can stand up straight these days is beyond me..Im only 45 and raced desert for 15 years and it flat out hurts to get out of bed in the morning.
I love Baja racing, but do sorta agree in that its much easier for the crews now....still want to own a Trophy Truck as they are badass though lol. Whats more impressive is the dirtbike guys finishing as they take a f'n beating, great documentary was From Dust To Glory, excellent film on the Baja race.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

wore that dvd out, also one my class racing the '88 baja 1000 on an atv., that was a dream since I was a kid and saw it on wide world of sports..same with offshore racing..sooner or later I will end up runnin a boat with numbers.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Registered

wore that dvd out, also one my class racing the '88 baja 1000 on an atv., that was a dream since I was a kid and saw it on wide world of sports..same with offshore racing..sooner or later I will end up runnin a boat with numbers.
That is cool, a buddy and I eventually want to go out there and give it a shot. And yeh, Dust To Glory rocks, watched it over and over and over.....

Quick Reply: Is Don Johnson still in the sport in any way?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.