Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat storage price gouging for a hurricane? >

Boat storage price gouging for a hurricane?

Notices

Boat storage price gouging for a hurricane?

Old 09-05-2008, 06:57 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Windstorm insurance in S. FL is very pricey and in some cases unobtainable (for boats and homes). Windstorm is specifically any named storm- tropical storm, depression, hurricane.

My buddy has the money to just pay the $3200 but thought it was a beating considering he can rack store it for a month at that same marina for $800 a month.

I like the trailer option since you can fuel it, service it, get around to poker runs (cheaper than running the boat an hour or two to get to an event) and move it in events like storms. He just doesn't have a place to store the trailer and he would have to buy a truck big enough to tow with.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

I got an email yesterday from my insurance company BoatUS reminding me of the hurrincan, and offer to help with paying for preperation for it

to quote

"Please ensure your boat is prepared. If you are not able to get to your boat, your BoatUS policy will help with the expense of having a professional do the preparation and/or hauling"
Old 09-05-2008, 07:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loggerhead sucks, I used to live at one. Tell your buddy to go buy a damn trailer and pull it out himself. He can use the trailer over and over. If your boy can afford a 07 TG he can swing the trailer

WILL
Old 09-05-2008, 08:59 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Buy a trailer.....take a buddy out a couple times that OWNS his own truck. He'll come help out when the need arrises. Trailers can usually be stored at some self storage lot 20 miles inland for alot less money than near the coast.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BAJA WILL
If your boy can afford a 07 TG he can swing the trailer

WILL
Sometimes that's the problem. I can't tell you how many times I've seen guys that thought the monthly payment was what it cost, ignoring things like fuel, storage, dock boys, maintenance, new engines, broken drives, etc.

I wonder if they'll sell you a trailer with 240 easy monthly payments?
Old 09-05-2008, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a hypothetical, but say he sucks it up and puts it at the marina. Named storm comes through and boat gets damage. His insurance doesn't cover it, marina doesn't cover it, so why pay the money again?

I'm sure for $3200 somebody will put it on a trailer and move it far enough away for a few days. For $3200 somebody could run it to Stuart and get it further inland at least?

Then he needs to get a contract with someone and formulate a hurricane plan.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

For $3200 I will come take it and run it across lake Okeechobee to the west coast, or just put it in the middle of the lake safely.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Registered

If there is a storm surge the trailer will not help(unless you tow it away to higher ground) here is a pic of a friends boat after wilma, it was sitting on styrofoam blocks, still attached to the davits. the surge picked it and the foam blocks up and deposited on the side of the house, wedged against a tree, the foam hardly moved from under the boat . Lee murray (nick carter racing/murray marine has it all on video)
Attached Thumbnails Boat storage price gouging for a hurricane?-wilma-001.jpg  
Old 09-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
For $3200 I will come take it and run it across lake Okeechobee to the west coast, or just put it in the middle of the lake safely.

cool idea.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:43 PM
Registered

Default FWIW...Travelers Insurance has an option on their

yacht policies (over 30ft) called "Hurricane Haul-out Protection" that pays these charges.

Quick Reply: Boat storage price gouging for a hurricane?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.