Accident at Cumberland Poker Run >

Accident at Cumberland Poker Run

Notices

Accident at Cumberland Poker Run

Old 09-07-2008, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BUIZILLA
according to on-scene Marine Assist that's not true..

I went back and checked my GPS and found POP O to be right on the money. 1.93 miles from where the rental houseboat and I were to the accident scene. Seemed closer
Old 09-07-2008, 07:04 PM
yss
Registered

Sounds like a really great guy.
Condolences to Family and Friends.
Rest in Peace Kevin.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:11 PM
Registered

Unhappy Rest in Peace, my friend.

Craig, I cannot express how grateful I am that you were not seriously injured on Saturday. My heart goes out to you and Lori through this difficult time.

I am so saddened by Kevin's accident. He was a good friend to me for many years. I will miss our two hour phone conversations, I will miss his sense of humor, I will miss his kindness, I will miss his fearlessness, and mostly I will just miss him. I think the world became a much less interesting place yesterday. My deepest condolences to all who were fortunate enough to know and care about him.

Dione Amirkhan
Old 09-07-2008, 07:12 PM
Registered

First off I want to say that my thoughts are prayers are with ALL involved..

Second, I would say that for now that we need to just end all the speculation and hearsay because this was caught on video and we will know the outcome. From what I was told at the Poker Run was that the guy in the heli got sick over it..We need to quit blaming and speculating and realize that sometimes there are accidents and we take these risk when we do these events. If we were speculating and saying the lake was to crowded or this and that, then the easy solution is to just slow down until you have a clear path, not to tell everyone else to get off the lake. Some poker runs are going to be made for all out speed and some you are just going to have to do the card stops, take your time, mind the other boaters and try to have a good time.

~R.I.P Kevin~
Old 09-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Registered

I know the guy in the heli, say's he caught most of it on video but lost view of the flip because of a hill. He caught it at the end of the flip. At first they were not sure how many people were in the boat, they went back through previous photos to confirm head count finding only two in boat and stopped there search for others in water. But will reply when I hear more detail from heli friend. Has nothing to do with blame or speculation, just people making conversation very normal when tragedy strikes, especially when it is a fellow friend.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I was in the second group waiting to start, the Kentucky Fish and Wildlife officer started to motion for the pace boat to start and then he bent down to answer his radio. He threw the radio down and emphatically motioned for the 100 to 110 class to stay put and took off with his lights on. I shut down my engines and my heart sunk. I knew it was going to be bad. I had only spoken once to Kevin and I am still sick. I think we should be thankful that Craig was spared. Truly a miracle! I have enjoyed reading who he was. He and his friends will be in my prayers. Eric
Old 09-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by riggerjohn
I know the guy in the heli, say's he caught most of it on video but lost view of the flip because of a hill. He caught it at the end of the flip. At first they were not sure how many people were in the boat, they went back through previous photos to confirm head count finding only two in boat and stopped there search for others in water. But will reply when I hear more detail from heli friend. Has nothing to do with blame or speculation, just people making conversation very normal when tragedy strikes, especially when it is a fellow friend.
I agree, I was more concerned with people blaming other boats and crowded lakes and so on. We need to worry about ourselves and look out for ourselves because nobody else will and they did not create the lakes for poker runs only. We are considered invited guest and we need to just act accordingly and adapt to the environment, not try to have them change it just for us. I am not picking on anybody, I am just stating my opinions.

Last edited by bobonthis; 09-07-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very tragic..
Old 09-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

My condolences go out to Mr Sellers and his family. Fortunately, only 1 casualty out of the crash. If you can say anything positive, a man perished doing something he loved to do. RIP.

Just my opp, but I've done the poker run in the past, and most boats were out of the way of the path of poker run boats, but there were a few that were sitting in terrible locations and simply dangerous to the participants. Even at 50 mph, the run could be dangerous if that sort of thing happens. (not that it was or was not a factor here). The other issue I had was a high speed pass by someone son who builds powerboats making a pass a little close than I'd care for. Your head has to be on a swivel at these sorts of things. I believe 6 years ago or so the video helicopter crashed, too.

Even at LOTO this year, it was more dangerous than I remembered. Seems that maybe the high gas prices now has everyone taking the shortest line on the inside corners in either direction. I started going to the outside while there and was much safer. It amazes me when another boat cuts you off and acts like it's your fault you're motoring in a straight line in the main channel of a body of water.

Sorry for the tangent, if anyone even read it.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by craig s
hello , my name is craig stumpf. i was the passenger on the 36 skater know as pammy, with my long time friend kevin sellers. i want to thank you for your thoughts and prayers. he was a great friend and loved by many. he passed from a neck injury. im fine just beat up . thank you
Glad to hear your doing well ! Prayers to you for a speedy recovery and sincere condolences for the loss of your friend kevin, he sounds like he was a great guy !

Quick Reply: Accident at Cumberland Poker Run

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.