Notices

Old Shadow Hull

Old 03-13-2002, 11:52 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really enjoyed watching the fire department wash out the powerheads with a 2" hose after Bad Move was dragged back through the mud to the dock Gotta hand it to those guys for getting back out on Saturday-we were really rooting for them.
Old 03-14-2002, 11:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Bad Move

Thats right Inspetech I was standing by you I guess,after all that they only got to run two laps,I could not believe how calm they were.You would have heard me cussing in New Jersey.And to go one step further in a sportsmanship lesson when they went to Corpus Christy and the boat burnt up they put a full page in the Racers Edge congradulating all the winners but said they were still the" Hottest Boat There".
Bill and Doug Durham were truly a 1st Class racers.

Lonnie
Old 03-14-2002, 11:42 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Those guys put that HYDRATECH through hell!!! and it stayed together. That was the only way they were gonna lose that boat I guess...fire Remember the "Cartwheel" flip in Key West???

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 03-14-2002, 11:55 PM
Registered

Default Hey Sharky

Wasn't there but I heard about it.It was a tough boat,their whole Rig was one of the nicest from the truck to trailer.They deserved to have better luck than they did.
Old 04-18-2002, 12:39 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Surprisingly, I think they went into a COBRA Cat after that??? Not sure.......

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 07-25-2008, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Philip
Racemore,
The “Town & Country” / “Pipeline” Shadow Cat was not torn in half, but in the 1986 or 1987 Worlds, the boat with John Emmons on the throttles, Bob Shug navigating, and Rick Malanga driving did have the front of the deck come apart in the roughest part of the course. A crack developed in the front of the tunnel in the race prior, and weakened the core, while bashing through some really big water, (these cats can run very fast in the rough) a big wave entered through the damaged area, and hydrauliced the front deck off, The boat sank, and was raised the next day. If I remember correctly Larry Wurtsburger put a new deck on the boat, and Bob Shug (who Paid for the raising/towing of the boat) entered a Salvage claim, stating since he paid the salvage bill he wanted ownership of the boat. This went to the court system for quite a while, and the Judge did award ownership to Bob Shug, (Rules of salvage on the high seas). A lesson learned. Always pay your salvage bill with your own check.
Philip
I know this is an old thread, but I'm new on OSO and just getting to read everything. It was 1985 when Town and Country tore the boat up at Key West. I know because I was in the boat in front of them. It was really rough. Last race, making the turn from the roughest part of the course right into a quartering sea. They were pushing really hard. But then again, so were we. At the time we just thought they broke down. All of a sudden they weren't there. They were a great bunch, and a blast to race against.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:46 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mccaffertee
What ever happened to Caldwell?

I met him in Orlando at a Fort Myers race in the mid 80's. At the time, I was told he was correcting some kind of bottom design flaws on the 32 Maelstrom pleasure. He was also designing, or involved in the Fountain 24 and the Seebold 32 design (offshore model).

The ONLY reason i remember him is, someone walked up to say hi to him, and this guy (like a football player) literally tackeled this guy simply out of fun - of course, the "other" guy didn't find it too funny as they both flew accross the table and slammed onto the concrete. Jim was having a good time and the other guy, a little pissed off. At the time, everyone was saying that this was a typical thing for him to do. But he did seem extremely knowledgable about designs.

If T2x reads this, I would like to hear about whatever happened to him.
Jimmy Caldwell was/is a very smart guy...maybe too smart. I originally met him back in 1973 or so when we raced tunnel boats against each other. He was always very driven and talented. He designed a few tunnel hulls including one that had air relief holes from the tunnel to the deck that I nicknamed the "vacuam cleaner" becaused it sucked down onto the water surface due to the negative air pressure it developed.

Later he made smaller tunnels that were somewhat copies of a Seebold and he raced for Mercury in the Mod 50 class with some success. Finally he scaled up that design to about 30 feet and made one of two ill fated Offshore tunnel hulls (the other being an even larger Seebold that sunk in Europe). Reggie wound up with the single engine Caldwell version and immediately made it a "Fountain", painting it white with red and blue stripes like his old tunnel hulls and unfortunately watched it blow over with a fellow named Sky Gillespie at the wheel.... The accident was sadly fatal and proved once again how tunnels can bite you.

Later in the early 80's Jimmy had Ken Adams, who built our Conquest hulls, build a full cat with a ridiculously deep tunnel. It didn't run very well, resulted in a big financial loss, and led to some deep acrimony between the involved parties.

A few years later he emerged at Fountain as Technical Director or similar title. Reggie has a habit of surrounding himself with old OPC racers (Benny Robertson, Michael Seebold, etc) because, IMHO, they are better drivers/racers than anyone who started in bigger boats...and also much better able to diagnose set up and speed issues.

I have not heard Jimmy's name in about 5 years and assumed he was still at Fountain. I hope he is doing well.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 07-28-2008 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:25 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the info - guess he didn't act too crazy around you!
I didn't say he wasn't crazy... He is a boat racer after all.

T2x
Old 03-04-2010, 09:09 PM
Registered

What ever happened to Caldwell?
He is now in Costa Rica designing boats
Old 03-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Registered

Default old days gone by

Wow! Can't believe my last post was 3/15/02. Been working on the sister ship to Rolling Thunder at Full Throttle Powerboats .This 34 Baha cat was red white and blue originally.Not sure what the name was but it was in fairly good shape for a boat that age.When we get it finished i'll post a pic. Building the fastest outboard drag boats in the world isn't all we do.I don't think there is anything Jack can't fix although if you don't want it done right he won't do it.

Quick Reply: Old Shadow Hull

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.