Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Have anyone tried blowers on Merc 377 Scorpions? >

Have anyone tried blowers on Merc 377 Scorpions?

Notices

Have anyone tried blowers on Merc 377 Scorpions?

Old 09-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink How do rumors get started?

Where do you guys get these pieces of information?
Mercruiser still buys the 496 engines from GM powertrain and builds hundreds of 496MAG, 496HO, 8.1L Horizons weekly, as well as those made every week by Volvo, Crusader, others. the 496 is not even scheduled for production stoppage by GM Powertrain, how do I know, because I talk to GM people usually weekly or monthly at a minimum. The reality is everything is up in the air at troubled GM and even some of the new engine releases may be on the chopping block in the next few months. New engines for 2009 release?, hold your breath and wait, only time will tell what the "New GM" will keep providing!
The 377 engine is no longer made for Mercruiser by GM Powertrain and it is actualy not now available.
Also, be very careful putting superchargers on 377 engines without some neccessary internal mods, you may end up with a nice engine in a "basket"!
If you want a small block for now and the future, look at the Raylar LSM550, now there is a small block!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 09-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Xtreme,

I understand you sold the 30 ft Motion with the engines been left stock. Just wonderwhy you took them off the boat?? What other impressons did you get form the installation? What happened to the oil temp? Are these the original "HP 377 Scorpion blowers" from Whipple? The ECU is also from the kit? The engines are in a 29 Fountain. It is somwht limited with space under the hatch, but I will check soon when I see the boat. What happens with fuelconsumption on cuise speeds?
Old 09-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
Also, be very careful putting superchargers on 377 engines without some neccessary internal mods, you may end up with a nice engine in a "basket"!
Does this also apply to the blue 377 Scorpion engines from Mercury Racing that Yamaha 225 has ?
Old 09-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
Where do you guys get these pieces of information?
Mercruiser still buys the 496 engines from GM powertrain and builds hundreds of 496MAG, 496HO, 8.1L Horizons weekly, as well as those made every week by Volvo, Crusader, others. the 496 is not even scheduled for production stoppage by GM Powertrain, how do I know, because I talk to GM people usually weekly or monthly at a minimum. The reality is everything is up in the air at troubled GM and even some of the new engine releases may be on the chopping block in the next few months. New engines for 2009 release?, hold your breath and wait, only time will tell what the "New GM" will keep providing!
The 377 engine is no longer made for Mercruiser by GM Powertrain and it is actualy not now available.
If you want a small block for now and the future, look at the Raylar LSM550, now there is a small block!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Hey Ray, I understand you're familiar with a buddy of mine. Trey McFarland at Mahle Piston? Ring any bells? Known Trey for years, good man!

Sorry for the thread Hijack! I would agree with Ray that just adding a supercharger to a stock cast crank/cast piston lower end is asking for trouble. It may work for a while, but all of the added stress on the components will weaken them and cause them to fail in a shorter amount of time.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jayhawk261
I would agree with Ray that just adding a supercharger to a stock cast crank/cast piston lower end is asking for trouble. It may work for a while, but all of the added stress on the components will weaken them and cause them to fail in a shorter amount of time.
I don't think the Mercury Racing 377 (blue) Scorpion engine has a cast crank, but I could be wrong. Where did you get this information ?
Old 09-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the 377 Scorpion had forged pistons??? The engines has 430 houres now, and I have not touchd one screw, only oil and filter, and "correct" operation (let the oil temp get warm before pushing and run slow speeds for a long time before shut off). I have run 5 RACES (mostly wide open for a period of an houre). The engines run exactly as when I bought the boat two years ago and then it had 45 houres on it. Idles perfect, accellerate and run exactly the same top speed. I spoke to one guy at the Miami boat show who worked at Lake X, and he said they would run 800 houres eaisily.. I would think they could last also with short WOT "bursts". 100 mph... MMmmmmmm I like it....

What about compression ratio? If I don't remember wrong, it is 9,0:1. Is it neccesary to lower the compression? The cam shaft is said to be "sharper", but it idels very smooth. Not like 525 EFIs.

Again, thanks for all inputs.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by XtremePowerboats.com
I actually have a set of 377 Whipple superchargers for sale that were tested on a 30 Motion, They totally woke the boat up. If you are interested let me know we can work out some numbers, I'll take a few pics and send them to you.
Larry,did those come off the Scorpion Motion we had at the Lauderdale show a few years back, 2003?
Steve

Last edited by offshoresteve; 09-12-2008 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Steve Charles took a bath on that boat selling it.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rbr2328
Hey Steve Charles took a bath on that boat selling it.
I heard will be out in the skater tomorrow and sun.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Phazar454Mag
I don't think the Mercury Racing 377 (blue) Scorpion engine has a cast crank, but I could be wrong. Where did you get this information ?
I may have been talking out my butt on that one. I missed the scorpion part at the first of the thread and just assumed 6.2 type engines. I don't know much at all about the small block stuff.

That being said, even if we are talking about scorpion engines with forged internals, my take is still good on non-forged stuff. How's that for a save!

Quick Reply: Have anyone tried blowers on Merc 377 Scorpions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.