Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Any advice on preventing boat theft when docked at hotel overnight? >

Any advice on preventing boat theft when docked at hotel overnight?

Notices

Any advice on preventing boat theft when docked at hotel overnight?

Old 09-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by formula 382 sr-1
This worked for Sonny.
Elvis wasn't it??????????????
Old 09-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wrinkleface
Elvis wasn't it??????????????
And Elvis is his Name !!!
Old 09-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Social Distortion
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Haulin' 8.1
Hey guys thanks for the replies, I'm having a good laugh. Maybe I'll just overshoot the shore and beach it then claim drunken stupor. I probably am a little paranoid. It's not my classmates I'm worried about and it's not a bragging boat, just a nice family cruiser, and I would be surprised if others don't show up with better stuff.

I was reading a local fishing forum and during the last month there has been plenty of discussion of gas and gear being stolen from the boats parked all around the lake, Lake Conroe in Texas. So that's what has me worried.
Where and when? What kind of stuff you got in it?

Just kidding. I'm on Conroe, Where are you parking it overnight?We do it all of the time.

If you're worried about it growing fins and swimming away, pull the coil wire.

Last edited by wstultz; 09-10-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Never Enuff
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your going to be on Conroe contact Busta(on this site), buy him a case of beer and he'll sit in your boat and drink all night
Jay
Old 09-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm stealing the thread here a bit. BUT.!!!
2007 March,.. Staying in a hotel in Boca Raton.. business trip..
Nice hotel.. stayed there before.. Check in.. go in room.. Get a coctail at the bar.. go back to rom.. (5 minutes later, I decide I want a cig) walk out front to get into the car.. CAR IS GONE.. !!!! Parking space empty.. I thought I was dreaming or parked the car somewhere else. NO.. CAR IS STOLLEN.
All my business checks... laptop with EVERTYTHING.. contracts. Financial info.. is gone.. Personnal info on laptop.. IRS info. Financial statements.. family contact all on laptop and GONE... I thought I have a heart attack..
Called cops.. (cops tottaly blew me off, saying.. to bad..happens all the time.... untill my name came up as former DOD "staff",, then all panick is out by then local cops, they assumed it might be due to some of my DOD and Gov. history)
Stopped checks credit cards etc..
Everything is gone .. everyone I know is on alert..for.. whatever... the info is in the laptop... Rent car... drive all over the Pompano area where all the drug deals are gong down.. (my 9mm in my lap)
Driving around... in places where no normal person shoul go.. for 1.5 days.. no sleep.. livinig on coffee and cigs..
Even the "dealers" are helping locating the truck... Everyone assumes it's a drug related issue.. Stealing truck.. selling it for $500 and get a hit.. or shipping overseas..

No luck.. 4 days later I'm home.. Sunday... get a call on my home phone.. (unlisted, used for fax only) The phucking crook. tels me he has my truck and all the stuff. black mails me for $3000. He sais.... meet me here... no cpos. bring $3000 and he wil give me back everything.. He "claims" some one was driving my trcuk to a party and left the keys..
OK cops called.. I'm wired... getting the cops ready for the sting.. Swat and FBI on back up... Meet up with the a$$hole at a gas station.. Got the $... my 9MM is in my lap driving with an unmarked cops PU truck.. My Shephard is in the back..
On the cell phone with the crook.. constantly.. He admits everything .. and it's recorded... He is not threre. Sends GF to pick up the money and exchange the keys. She is busted.. She spills her guts.. The guy never arrested.. charges are droped against "her" due to the cops arrested her acrross county line.. (Boca Cops.... going to Broward county.. STUPID!!!!)
Got truck back.. no laptop and no personnal stuff (about $5000 worth and all the contacts etc.)
After I regrouped a bit, and redone all checks and financial stuff, about a month later,... I get a letter from the state attorney stating that no criminal action can be taken or will be agianst the crooks, due to some police technicalities and chit.

OK.. I took things n my own hand. With some old gov. friends help.. got the name.. picture, address of the thiefs.. But I dropped the issue.. FOR NOW..

Sorry about the long winded post.. But I can understand when some one or anyone gets a bit jumpy about theft of any sort.
I just hope I won't get into a bad enough moode to drive back to Pompano Beach.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Registered

Note to self...."Don't steal Paradox's truck!"
Old 09-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Registered

Hey guys thanks for the replies, I'm having a good laugh. Maybe I'll just overshoot the shore and beach it then claim drunken stupor. I probably am a little paranoid. It's not my classmates I'm worried about and it's not a bragging boat, just a nice family cruiser, and I would be surprised if others don't show up with better stuff.

I was reading a local fishing forum and during the last month there has been plenty of discussion of gas and gear being stolen from the boats parked all around the lake, Lake Conroe in Texas. So that's what has me worried.
I wouldn't worry about theft on Lake Conroe.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Registered

i leave my boat moored in a lake all summer for the last 8 years , keys in the ignition , never had a problem , see if there is someone staying on their boat at the marina just ask anyone who is staying on their boat to keep an eye on it
Old 09-10-2008, 06:22 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PARADOX
I'm stealing the thread here a bit. BUT.!!!
2007 March,.. Staying in a hotel in Boca Raton.. business trip..
Nice hotel.. stayed there before.. Check in.. go in room.. Get a coctail at the bar.. go back to rom.. (5 minutes later, I decide I want a cig) walk out front to get into the car.. CAR IS GONE.. !!!! Parking space empty.. I thought I was dreaming or parked the car somewhere else. NO.. CAR IS STOLLEN.
All my business checks... laptop with EVERTYTHING.. contracts. Financial info.. is gone.. Personnal info on laptop.. IRS info. Financial statements.. family contact all on laptop and GONE... I thought I have a heart attack..
Called cops.. (cops tottaly blew me off, saying.. to bad..happens all the time.... untill my name came up as former DOD "staff",, then all panick is out by then local cops, they assumed it might be due to some of my DOD and Gov. history)
Stopped checks credit cards etc..
Everything is gone .. everyone I know is on alert..for.. whatever... the info is in the laptop... Rent car... drive all over the Pompano area where all the drug deals are gong down.. (my 9mm in my lap)
Driving around... in places where no normal person shoul go.. for 1.5 days.. no sleep.. livinig on coffee and cigs..
Even the "dealers" are helping locating the truck... Everyone assumes it's a drug related issue.. Stealing truck.. selling it for $500 and get a hit.. or shipping overseas..

No luck.. 4 days later I'm home.. Sunday... get a call on my home phone.. (unlisted, used for fax only) The phucking crook. tels me he has my truck and all the stuff. black mails me for $3000. He sais.... meet me here... no cpos. bring $3000 and he wil give me back everything.. He "claims" some one was driving my trcuk to a party and left the keys..
OK cops called.. I'm wired... getting the cops ready for the sting.. Swat and FBI on back up... Meet up with the a$$hole at a gas station.. Got the $... my 9MM is in my lap driving with an unmarked cops PU truck.. My Shephard is in the back..
On the cell phone with the crook.. constantly.. He admits everything .. and it's recorded... He is not threre. Sends GF to pick up the money and exchange the keys. She is busted.. She spills her guts.. The guy never arrested.. charges are droped against "her" due to the cops arrested her acrross county line.. (Boca Cops.... going to Broward county.. STUPID!!!!)
Got truck back.. no laptop and no personnal stuff (about $5000 worth and all the contacts etc.)
After I regrouped a bit, and redone all checks and financial stuff, about a month later,... I get a letter from the state attorney stating that no criminal action can be taken or will be agianst the crooks, due to some police technicalities and chit.

OK.. I took things n my own hand. With some old gov. friends help.. got the name.. picture, address of the thiefs.. But I dropped the issue.. FOR NOW..

Sorry about the long winded post.. But I can understand when some one or anyone gets a bit jumpy about theft of any sort.
I just hope I won't get into a bad enough moode to drive back to Pompano Beach.

Seems like you've got it handled, but I've got "family on both sides" there if you need anything...
Old 09-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Registered

Guys I've got a class reunion next weekend at a local lakefront hotel that has boat parking. I've never left my boat in the water overnight while I was sleeping. I'm worried about it being gone in the morning. Is there anything that helps keep boats where you leave them? Should I padlock it with a big chain or what. It's a 18' VIP.

Vernon
vip? sounds like u may mean "VIB"= very inportant boat lmao sorry.. damm u must love it huh? just make sure its insured and sleep tight.

Quick Reply: Any advice on preventing boat theft when docked at hotel overnight?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.