Notices

Polished aluminum

Old 03-05-2002, 08:58 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Polished aluminum

Do the polished blower intakes have some type of clear coating on them?
Old 03-05-2002, 09:05 PM
Evil Twin

My freind has a Weiand blower, neither the blower or the intake has a coating on them. I asked him if I could clear coat a polished manifold. He said he tried this but it turned gray after a while. He uses "Hoosiers Aluminum Polish" seem's to add a protective coating. The stuff, I think, is made in a bath-tub in Indiana, smell's like lighter fluid with possible a fine pummis added.

My .02

Bill

Old 03-05-2002, 09:07 PM
MissH20Lover

I do not think that they do. My Cigs motors are cleaned twice a month with Mothers cleaner. Tabatha

Old 03-05-2002, 09:08 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

we polished ours and then have them cleared they look great dont know about salt water but dont think yhey would pitt
Old 03-05-2002, 10:05 PM
Evil Twin

46tomcat, What kind of clear did you use? I do not have the luxery of storing my boat inside, (ChiTown has cold Winters), does it hold up and not chage to gery if left in the cold?

Im Purchacing a set of Dart 355 ported heads and would like to polish them. If it works I will clear them too. What kind of clear did you use?

Thanks Bill

Old 03-05-2002, 10:36 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my manifold clear powder coated. There was a definite loss in shinyness. I wet sanded the coating and reshot it with a clear catalized enamel and was able to restore some of the shine. It's still not nearly as good as it was before polishing. Alot of people would call the finish perfect, I'll call it acceptable.
Old 03-06-2002, 03:17 PM
Registered

my exp with polished alum has been as follows.......
for powder--. it must a brilliant mirror finish for the shine to prevail...

i have cleared several of my bike parts with an good urathane clear with good sucess ie: engine case covers , valve covers ect.

have been told that clear anodising does well but it too must be mirror finsh before the clear goes on.. have not tried it as of yet

gotta luv the look though..
Old 03-06-2002, 04:09 PM
Registered

Just an update on the color choices for Powder coating.... i did run into a shop in Stuart Fl. they have a big selection of candy colors too..... pretty awsome stuff they also do the high temp coatings.... PPC 561-220-2601 ... haven't had anything from them.. am sure some other shops are applying the same colors these days..... i know my local guys are not....
Old 03-06-2002, 05:04 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,296 Likes on 3,704 Posts

instead of polished , i had mine powder- coated bright yellow with a clear shot after, it looks awesome and i dont have to polish every couple of weeks it is a idea
Old 03-06-2002, 07:51 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

will find out what clear they used tommorow we polished them ourselves then shot them them at our shop

Quick Reply: Polished aluminum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.