questions about procharging my boat

Old 09-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: EX 99 MPH 272 Baja owner, 1999 Scarab 33 AVS NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXXX Donzi View Post
I had a Procharger on my 1997 502 Mag MPI. It worked great. EVERYTHING these guys are telling you is true.

Like articfriends says, go with the M-3. It leaves more options later down the road.

Here is a picture of my motor after Eddie here got ahold of it! I will try to get some pics of the stock install.
Also IF you buy a procharger new pay the extra for the aw504 innercooler vs the aw324,it does several things,it allows you the option of running more boost on same octane or running less octane (like 89) with low boost. Another option on m-3 if you go that route is a 12 rib drive vs 8,I consider it mandatory on the m-3 , I payed triple to upgrade mine later over what it would have been as a option,Smitty
Old 09-14-2008, 10:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boats: 98, Virage, 266
Default procharging my boat

This is the best information that i have heard. The boat now has 210hrs on it is this to many hours for the procharger? It has been perfectly serviced and maintained. Thanks for the info. Im going to try and get some pics of the boat on here soon to take a look at.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:12 AM
Registered

That's not to many hours. Do a leak down test (not a compression test) to determine the overall condition of the engine. If you have some cylinders that do not leak down very good, try to determine where they are leaking. If the heads are leaking, that's not a big deal since you should pull the heads to change the gaskets, springs etc. I consider this a must if you want to make more than an extra 50-75 hp. Do a valve job when the heads are off if they are leaking. You should also really consider some better valves in the heads while they are off. If the cylinders are not leaking past the rings, go with it like it is. That engine cold should leak less than 15% if it is in good shape. Give me a shout if you have any questions.
Eddie
Old 09-15-2008, 01:13 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXXX Donzi View Post
I had a Procharger on my 1997 502 Mag MPI. It worked great. EVERYTHING these guys are telling you is true.

Like articfriends says, go with the M-3. It leaves more options later down the road.

Here is a picture of my motor after Eddie here got ahold of it! I will try to get some pics of the stock install.
That sure is a purdy engine. Who built that work of art???
Old 09-15-2008, 08:44 AM
AKA NORTECHJ
Gold Member

My Boats: 3900 Nor-tech V

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYElimEagle View Post
I did it with good success. If you have a smaller boat that you don't need to run at higher RPM you can expect good results because boost does not even come in until higher RPM's. Most of my engine hours were cruising and not even under boost. If you have a bigger boat that really lugs the motor/s you might want to think twice.
humm mine dont lug at all and i have a 3900 nortech super V with #6's with 510's and m4 sc prochargers.. im on plane in less than 10 sec with the tabs up 1.50 gears and 17.5 35 mercs...its on prochargers site

http://www.procharger.com/M_profiles_modified.shtml
Old 09-16-2008, 08:11 PM
Registered

My Boats: Eclipse 233 sbc 383 dry piped

I bought my boat with prochargers on it. The previous owner had no idea how to take care of anything let alone the engines. check out the inside of the intercooler after it failed from him using it in salt water and not flushing properly. IMO the amount of $$$ and work it takes to procharge an engine I would pull them and build some good normally asperated engines. Build a solid rotating assembly and valve trane then you really have the option to supercharge your engine later. My 2 cents.
Attached Thumbnails
questions about procharging my boat-p10100712-2-.jpg   questions about procharging my boat-dcp_0450.jpg  
Old 09-17-2008, 11:16 AM
Registered

My Boats: 96 SCARAB 26

check out Cathouseperformancemarine.com they built my motor with a procharger and its a great motor. You should definetly change the valves, upgrade the exhaust, and upgrade your fuel system.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boats: 98, Virage, 266
Default upgrades to my boat

Was wondering about also would and exstention box and a 2 inch shorty be a good idea or is the exstention box not needed would like some opinions on this set up also please thank you?
Old 09-19-2008, 01:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: EX 99 MPH 272 Baja owner, 1999 Scarab 33 AVS NOW

I have experience with having a procharger,stellings ext box and now a -2" shorty on my boat,under NO circumstances would I reccomend doing any of the 2 or3 things at the same time unless there is another hull identical to yours that has done it successfully that you are patterning your boat after. Lets say you did several of these mods at first and your boat went 15 mph faster,you would not know if it was going slower then it should or what gave you the speed. Do the mods one at a time,My boat when it had 945 hp ran 92.8 running light (a gain of about 30 mph over stock),I added a exstension box and it slowed down to 86 mph and handled terrible ,a LOSS of 6.8 mph. I took the box off and got my speed back. I would build the power first,add the exstension box if your budget allows then add the shorty. If you lose handling or speed at one point you will know why,other wise you will be chasing your tail,Smitty
Old 09-19-2008, 07:32 AM
Registered

My Boats: Fountain 35 w/500 EFI's, 1973 Donzi X-18 w/383 Mag,1974 Chris Craft Roamer w/1271TI's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Performance View Post
That sure is a purdy engine. Who built that work of art???
Nice job. I have been putting gas in it and enjoying it for many hours. I am partial to it because it is under my hatch, but I have yet to see a prettier procharger/mag combo. I spent a little time polishing it last weekend just because it was there.

Oh yeah, you guys need to listen to articfriends comment about not doing too much at once. I had a friend throw a whole bunch of mods at his boat all at once. Well it did not work out as planned and now he is having a hell of a time sorting it out.