fish slapped, hope these never make the great lakes

Notices

fish slapped, hope these never make the great lakes

Old 09-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts
Default fish slapped, hope these never make the great lakes

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26604743/

LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - A teenager's jaw was broken when a fish flew from the lake where he was riding in an inner tube and smacked him in the face.

Seth Russell, 15, was cruising Lake Chicot in Arkansas on a large inner tube towed by a boat when a Silver Asian carp leaped from the water and hit him in the face. Seth was knocked unconscious.

"He doesn't remember anything at all," the boy's mother, Linda Russell, said last week. "He was laughing, and the next thing he remembers, he is waking in a hospital."

The teen has had oral surgery to wire several teeth together and still experiences back pain that doctors attribute to whiplash from the high-speed collision, his mother said.

‘Their jumping behavior is a problem’
He's not the only one who's has a run-in with the "flying" Silver Asian carp.

"They do not fly, but they are quite good jumpers," said Carole Engle, director of aquaculture and the fisheries center at the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff. "Over the past year, we have had some calls about fish jumping and causing injuries on Lake Chicot.

"Their jumping behavior is a problem, and their population appears to be growing there," Engle said.

Silver Asian carp were first imported to the United States in the 1970s. Catfish farmers brought them here to remove algae and other suspended matter from their ponds. The Environmental Protection Agency started a program allowing cities to use the fish to help clean the water in sewer treatment plant ponds

Last edited by phragle; 09-09-2008 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could B the next version of the WWF, Fish fighting!!
Old 09-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

What the hell is going on? Zebra Muscles, Gobies and Silver Asian Carp. Can't we return the favour to the other countries that these unwanted species came from?
Old 09-09-2008, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

we could send them crackho's and unscrupulous, dishonest boat parts dealers.....
Old 09-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

It's a start.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had one jump in my BT idling out. Thats about 5 ft. Darn things are every where. Coming to a lake near you soon.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by AB From Windsor
What the hell is going on? Zebra Muscles, Gobies and Silver Asian Carp. Can't we return the favour to the other countries that these unwanted species came from?
We already have, they are called Camel Unfiltered's
Old 09-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 948 Likes on 477 Posts

They are in the IL river and slowly moving towards the lake....they have installed an electric fence a few years back to keep fish from going up the river to the lake...as a backup if the power was to fail there is a poison that gets dumped and kills EVERYTHING downstream for a few miles ive heard....they are trying their best to keep these pests out

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 09-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 948 Likes on 477 Posts

watch this vid...interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oii4U3cQx_E

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 09-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

They are thick in the IL river. I've yet to have one jump in front of my boat but it is probably just a matter of time. From my experience, 2 stroke outboard motors really stir them up. I/O's don't seem to excite them into jumping.

Quick Reply: fish slapped, hope these never make the great lakes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.