Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Internet Brands - You are losing us (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/195190-internet-brands-you-losing-us.html)

C_Spray 09-12-2008 07:46 AM

Internet Brands - You are losing us

1. OffshoreOnly is now officially the slowest-runnning boating web site that I visit. Between the Google ads, flashing graphics, and general parasitic BS, every page takes forever to load or update.
  2. ...IF the page loads successfully at all. More and more, things simply come to a halt partway through the process.
  3. The page width comes out screwed up more and more often.
  4. The "Last Post" column is completely unreliable. It often refers to posts that are days or weeks old. Even worse, it's accuracy is totally random; you can never tell when it works and when it doesn't.
Personally, I guess I don't have a dog in the fight, since I'm a Charter Member, and do not pay. On the other hand, as a Charter Member, I hate to see a web site and community that has been a great resource slip into mediocrity.

For almost 10 years, OSO has been virtually the only boating web site that I spent time on. In the last 2 months, I have found myself spending more and more time on other sites that I neve thought I would sign up for, simply because I don't have to spend my time waiting for those sites to do what they should - perform.

In the last month, I have joined both ScreamAndFly.com and BoatFreaks.org, and tripled my post count on Speedwake.com.

Do as you see fit. So will I.

BillR 09-12-2008 07:56 AM

Nice post.
Ditto here too.

Ted G 09-12-2008 08:02 AM

Chuck, your boat is gonna look a little odd with outboards hanging back there. :D

"In the last month I have joined "Scream and Fly" :D

pkspx 09-12-2008 08:13 AM

I use OSO with multiple ISPs and have not experienced any problems with OSO since the server merge awhile ago. Site has been hella reliable for me.

OldSchool 09-12-2008 08:18 AM

Hmmmm, what should we do?????:ernaehrung004::ernaehrung004::evilb::party-smiley-004:

It is usually fast for me, except for when they are having problems.

t500hps 09-12-2008 08:20 AM

Kinda reminds you of the Comcast commercials with the "slowensky's" turtles complaining about hi-speed internet....:)

Things have been a little better for me the last couple weeks, but I never seem to go a full month without server issues!!!! Now I too spend more time on other sites than I used to.

getchasum111 09-12-2008 08:23 AM

i use to come on here every day...OSO kind of forced me to go check out other sites and i found out that i like them just as well...and they are free...

handfulz28 09-12-2008 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by pkspx (Post 2683380)
I use OSO with multiple ISPs and have not experienced any problems with OSO since the server merge awhile ago. Site has been hella reliable for me.

Then share your secret because you are the only one that shares that experience.

cosmic12 09-12-2008 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 2683390)
Hmmmm, what should we do?????:ernaehrung004::ernaehrung004::evilb

I just don"t know:evilb: But I am sure there is something:grinser010:

McGary911 09-12-2008 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by handfulz28 (Post 2683404)
Then share your secret because you are the only one that shares that experience.

I use a browser (Firefox), that has a very good ad blocker add on. I don't see any of the ads on this page. If that's what's slowing the pages down, it's worth a shot.

My speed is usually pretty good. I still get the database error from time to time. While speed tends to be pretty good, it's probably still slower than other pages.