Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   project baron (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/195365-project-baron.html)

tommymonza 09-15-2008 06:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I was going to move my engine bulhead back a foot like the Powerquest is . Than move my dash back a foot and than cut the windshield down to sleekin things up but I decided I like the huge engineroom . So I am going to move the dash back 3 feet and make the rear bench seat into the helm seat with some fold down dividers that will convert it into a 3 man bolster.Than i want to cut down the windshiels and shorten the wings and move it back about 2 feet.I never will have more than 3 people in it anyways.

Then off comes all the cheesy hardware and vents.Just a lifting ring on the bow and stern and no running lights.Also want to build a nice camberd rear hatch.Probaly leave it padded though.

baronmarine 09-15-2008 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by tommymonza (Post 2686774)
I was going to move my engine bulhead back a foot like the Powerquest is . Than move my dash back a foot and than cut the windshield down to sleekin things up but I decided I like the huge engineroom . So I am going to move the dash back 3 feet and make the rear bench seat into the helm seat with some fold down dividers that will convert it into a 3 man bolster.Than i want to cut down the windshiels and shorten the wings and move it back about 2 feet.I never will have more than 3 people in it anyways.

Then off comes all the cheesy hardware and vents.Just a lifting ring on the bow and stern and no running lights.Also want to build a nice camberd rear hatch.Probaly leave it padded though.

very nice touch. i like that. with the girls i need a 4 seater. i'm at a stand still on mine right now. i need about a 1 hours help with a couple of things. plus amanda's soccer pactice and game's are killin me.
todd

baronmarine 09-15-2008 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by tommymonza (Post 2686441)
I am looking for the pics i took from the 1st time i redid your boat Todd.

Found 1 of them

who's that young punk ???? way to skinny to be monza. ha ha ha
todd

baronmarine 09-15-2008 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by mountainmadness (Post 2686632)
traviss here. God I love these boats, Hell my motor is running better and better each year.. got up into the lower 80's this summer.

I will donate my motor for a project just to woop on Tripple digs :D :D :D LOL!

I am curious about a surface drive in this hull, I now have a alpha SS and the only way to get bow lift is with a laserII, and its is handful to drive, I would think with a surface drive it would just skate all over the water?

I was curious what other 185 xlts are out there running over 80 and what they have for power.

Didn't the orignal powerquest builder of these 185's have a boat that had a BB and surface drive?

hey traviss

long time no hear. your boat looks sweet as ever. with the surface drive there is not much bow lift at all. mine has a wing on the skeg helps a little. so it runs very flat. in the big lake it rocks. running flat like it does and the motor moved froward for the trans, it does not come down on the stern. it just fly's flat as can be. last time out we were running a 17x23 1/2 pitch 3 blade chopper with lots of cup for bow lift. 2' chop almost no fuel and one person it was at 81mph on the speedo (not gps) at 6000 rpm's and lots of stick left. when i'm done hopfully in the spring. i'm going to try a 26 pitch 4 blade clever for starters. as for the powerplay with a bb and surface. thats the first i've hear. and my grand parents had a cottage on hess lake and i think it was keven had one there also. he would always bring different things up there and i never saw that before.
todd

tommymonza 09-15-2008 08:07 PM

5 bladed Rolla is what you need.

Where is those pic? .You know now that you started this thread you are commited to follow through.

I will stop by and uncover mine and take some pics.

What happened seeing all those micro boats up at Hardy get you fired up,That and it probaly cost 1/3 to go out for a day of fun compared to the Cig huh.

What do you have planned for it? How is your interior and seat seats holding up?

BGIII 09-15-2008 08:34 PM

tommy - How does the Baron ride different than the PP? I always thought they were the same boat?

I never saw it with my own eyes, but I did hear that they had one with a big block running on the pond at Dryland Marina in Grandville.

baronmarine 09-15-2008 08:36 PM

5 blade rolla on your account. all i wanted was a 38 cig. and now i can't wait to get this thing out again. plus the girls well be 14 this spring. one of them has her boating permit so i figure this would be a great boat for them to drive in spring lake and on the river(with me in it). the buckets are still fine, the side pannels i cut when i move the seat forward on the first deck. man i'm i glad jack held on to that other deck. the back seat is junk. the big plan is to change the transom and stringers. the fuel tank i change maybe 10 years ago. would love to repaint it. but i'm running it next summer so if it's not painted, that well be later down the road. it still looks petty good. and a good wheel job will make it shine. hope to see you guys soon. sorry we missed you this summer.
todd

mountainmadness 09-15-2008 09:24 PM

Wlel back from dinner and all is good :evilb: The sled is still out in the shop covered up, we are safe LOL! :D

You are doing good diggin up those old pics, I don't even think I have those anymroe LOL!

I will get you a accurate centerline measurment for you tommorrow after work. You guys have a good evening.

mountainmadness 09-15-2008 09:32 PM

:ernaehrung004:

Originally Posted by baronmarine (Post 2686866)
hey traviss

long time no hear. your boat looks sweet as ever. with the surface drive there is not much bow lift at all. mine has a wing on the skeg helps a little. so it runs very flat. in the big lake it rocks. running flat like it does and the motor moved froward for the trans, it does not come down on the stern. it just fly's flat as can be. last time out we were running a 17x23 1/2 pitch 3 blade chopper with lots of cup for bow lift. 2' chop almost no fuel and one person it was at 81mph on the speedo (not gps) at 6000 rpm's and lots of stick left. when i'm done hopfully in the spring. i'm going to try a 26 pitch 4 blade clever for starters. as for the powerplay with a bb and surface. thats the first i've hear. and my grand parents had a cottage on hess lake and i think it was keven had one there also. he would always bring different things up there and i never saw that before.
todd

Thanks bro I apprecaite, its taken me 6 years so far to get where I am at, I am just like a proud father :drink: Sounds like your boat runs like a raped ape, Congrats :ernaehrung004

All this info I just love it!! :drink::ernaehrung004:

tommymonza 09-15-2008 09:37 PM

The powerplay/powerquest is not built near as heavy or solid as the old Barons.The Barons had a 52 gallon tank foamed in under the cockpit floor and was foamed outside of the stringers also.

The Powerplay/Powerquest have a 25 gallon tank mounted up in the nose and a skibox in the floor where the fuel tank was in the Baron.

My brithers Powerplays you could feel the whole floor move when you were runnin and it just felt to light to really run in any type of real waves.Its the only one i have ridden in so maybe it is a fluke or not i don't know.The fit and finish on the Powerplays is much better thabn the Barons though.