Some of Hurricane Ikes Nastiness >

Some of Hurricane Ikes Nastiness

Notices

Some of Hurricane Ikes Nastiness

Old 09-15-2008, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clambake
Does anyone prepare for a storm or take responsibility for their own property? 100+ winds and 20+ storm surge predicted for more than a week. Who pays for the damage to a property when a sailboat lands on someones fence? Sh*t happens but how many people will be crying to their insurance companies when the only prep they did was a couple extra dock lines? I've been thru everything since Andrew and at some point people need to wake up. Those pics look like everyone walked away and said O' well. And then they complain they can't afford insurance in the future. I'm sorry about lives lost but thats for another thread.
No one knew where it was going until the last day. It could have went from Corpus to Louisiana. You can't move a sail boat down the coast to Corpus Christi or Brownsville in one day. Even the big power boats did not know which way to go. The smartest one I see is that one large boat anchored all by it's self. Put out two big anchors and hope for the best thats what John Wyane would have done. To many boats to move in that short of time. If you watched the news the boats that anchored of in channels were unharmed, but not enough channels to go around ether. I was in Fort Pierce for a couple of hurricanes in 2004. There was a 30+ foot boat 20-30' in the air on a display stand right on the water, the eye of the storms went right over it. Nether storm did anything to it but the boats that where in dry storage did not far so well the buildings fell and crushed most of the boats. The boats anchored in the intercoastal most did alright.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:35 PM
Registered

Received 3,019 Likes on 987 Posts

This?? NO BUENO!!!
Attached Thumbnails Some of Hurricane Ikes Nastiness-sdc10366.jpg  
Old 09-15-2008, 11:33 PM
Registered

Jeff, How did gbyc make out in seabrook? I used to sail out of there in the early 60's. Back then we would take the boats out to deep water drop anchors and partly sink them. We never lost one, but there was'nt alot of boats like there is now. I was there for carla, but I don't remember this kind of damage. Brian
Old 09-16-2008, 06:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht
very sad to see, there were some very large boats toppeled over, One of the pictures near the top showed a place called
3 Amigos, or something like that. Was that on the water, their was huge place on the other side of it, was it a private residence. My hearts go out to all those people that lost so much.
3 Amigos was a gas station on the water.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by jayboat
Thanks for posting those, Jeff. Always sad to see that kind of destruction - especially when boats are involved. The next few weeks are gonna be miserable- good luck to everyone in the area.

The New York Times has a few slide shows of the wreckage.

I snagged a couple pix... sad times for the area right now.
in the NY times pics it looks like one guy in the whole neighborhood built his house to hurricance specs.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:10 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

just terrible! hope all is good soon. We know your misery!
Dean
Old 09-16-2008, 07:13 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
in the NY times pics it looks like one guy in the whole neighborhood built his house to hurricance specs.
Well... the news was sayin there were a lot of older homes in the area. Not any more.
Attached Thumbnails Some of Hurricane Ikes Nastiness-16ike_5a.jpg  

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 09-16-2008, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its brutal to see the devastation to peoples lives like these images. I fell very sorry for all those who this storm killed or left homeless and very thankful that even though I only get 6 months of boating season, I will never have to live thru a killer hurricane. I can deal with snow and ice. It rarely kills or damages homes.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

OUCH!!!......having something like that happen is unimaginable to me......maybe snow isnt so bad after all......hope everyone is ok
Old 09-16-2008, 08:05 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

The thing that saddens me is in some of the pics you might have noticed is a dock with power slings. Power boats are the easiest boats to get out of the water. I realize that some guys dont have trailers but at least make an effort to protect your property.

I drove down there before the storm and it was flooded way before the storm even hit.

Quick Reply: Some of Hurricane Ikes Nastiness

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.