Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Favorite Offshore 25ft and smaller? >

Favorite Offshore 25ft and smaller?

Notices

Favorite Offshore 25ft and smaller?

Old 09-26-2008, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't be ashamed that your Formula screams 80's, be proud of it. That is a great looking boat, especially for a 20 year old boat. I like the fact that my Libby is 20 years old and I can hang with most new boats. I have a whole lot less invested in it than the guys with a brand new 20' Outlaw, 18 or 22 Donzi Classic, 20' Stingrays, etc.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:02 PM
Registered

How come nobody has mentioned a PQ? I've heard good things about them in the past.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:19 PM
Registered

Rounded euro look vs. squared-off flat transom look? That is a separate topic. I like both. My boat has the integrated platform euro look, but I definitely appreciate the looks of that 24 Cig and its offshoots.

Why don't the manufacturers start making some smaller offshore boats again? Not enough profit in it? I think that some of us would get started in a particular brand and based upon this thread move up in size with the same brand. There is tremendous brand loyalty.

It seems like a shame that Sunsation, Cigarette, Formula and Fountain among others got rid of their smaller boats. A few companies still make them like Donzi, Sonic, and Baja (hopefully Fountain won't discontinue the smaller boats).
Old 09-26-2008, 05:11 PM
Registered

Unhappy

Originally Posted by 201liberator

Why don't the manufacturers start making some smaller offshore boats again? Not enough profit in it?

It seems like a shame that Sunsation, Cigarette, Formula and Fountain among others got rid of their smaller boats. A few companies still make them like Donzi, Sonic, and Baja (hopefully Fountain won't discontinue the smaller boats).
Active Thunder gave up on the 25 a few years ago and has got the 28 tooling on e-bay now so the A.T. 28 is gone also. The money isn't there anymore.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmic12
Active Thunder gave up on the 25 a few years ago and has got the 28 tooling on e-bay now so the A.T. 28 is gone also. The money isn't there anymore.
I don't think the money is anywhere today.
I'll just stick with my 24' Pantera that's almost 30 years old.
Yeah, I love the old school look. I just can't get real excited about the new boats out there. Granted, they are incredible machines, and the paint work can be art in itself, but that's not what I'm about. I like the classic lines, and simplicity.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
I don't think the money is anywhere today.
I'll just stick with my 24' Pantera that's almost 30 years old.
Yeah, I love the old school look. I just can't get real excited about the new boats out there. Granted, they are incredible machines, and the paint work can be art in itself, but that's not what I'm about. I like the classic lines, and simplicity.
Yup! old school looks and no shingles. Hey Bouy sorry I couldn't get with you last month, worked everyday up untill 2hrs before my flight. Now Im stuck in Tenn. High jack over.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:37 PM
Registered

It seems like there are people who might be able to afford a new 24 to 26 foot offshore boat, but not a 30 or bigger boat. Then after they are hooked and the economy improves, they might move up to that twin engined 30 footer or larger.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Registered

progression still makes the 22, 24, and 24xl's
Superboat still makes the 21 and 24's
Activator still makes the 22

Real offshore hulls, built with the right stuff available today.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 201 - the best liberator

Originally Posted by 201liberator
Rounded euro look vs. squared-off flat transom look? That is a separate topic. I like both. My boat has the integrated platform euro look, but I definitely appreciate the looks of that 24 Cig and its offshoots.

Why don't the manufacturers start making some smaller offshore boats again? Not enough profit in it? I think that some of us would get started in a particular brand and based upon this thread move up in size with the same brand. There is tremendous brand loyalty.

From another thread I didn't respond to the 201 Lib is by far the best of the liberator breed- in the 20ft class it was and even as a "factory boat" is still hard to beat in its length - as long as it has a through the transom exhaust kit. The cobra drive w/ through the prop exhaust is kinda lame.

This is also a boat Ive been to Catalina and back on several times so although not the best big water boat,(what 20 footer is) it's one you can confidently go out in.

I lusted after it heavily during my years at Skipper Marine electronics and our best client camborac marine sold them so I know it well-

Do you have the round or square cuddy hatch?

As you say the market for the smaller boats has left American manufacturers for the most part because its as hard to make a good 21 footer as it is a 24-26. So unless you are willing to drop 50K for a good custom you're pretty much stuck with all that "hello kitty" nonsense from yamaha, sea doo etc. or really weak little rigs from factories that pump em out cheap.

Yeah loyalty- from a group of boaters- ya think?

These crowds are what I refer to as "loyal to a fault" to manufacturers, hull styles, technology etc. So much so that some guys will even refuse to look at the actual numbers for data because they just dont want to believe their good old "you pick it" isnt the best at every metric that can be measured.

Im a manufacturers nightmare.
I cannot be counted on for blind repeat business or blind loyalty.

Personally I dont buy into brand loyalty simply because things change, and when I buy major products- boats, trucks, Dirt bikes, cars, high end software, or anything I intend to keep, I re investigate EVERY time.

If I had a good experience I'll give a vendor another shot, but it wont be a slam dunk.

have fun with your libby!

Uncle Dave

Laveycraft 2750 Ilmor-710
Laveycraft 20.8 Sebring 406 SB
Fleetwood nitrous toy hauler
Yamaha raptor 700/Kawi KFX 450
Nissan Titan
Old 09-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Registered

I will stick with brand loyalty! I am very happy with my 22 Velocity. I know it looks dated and has a plastic shifter, but I like it!!! It is a little on the light side but all in all a good boat. I boat on the Chesapeake bay which is capable of getting pretty snotty.
Attached Thumbnails Favorite Offshore 25ft and smaller?-pad-.jpg  

Last edited by DKerns; 09-26-2008 at 09:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Favorite Offshore 25ft and smaller?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.