Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Favorite Offshore 25ft and smaller? >

Favorite Offshore 25ft and smaller?

Notices

Favorite Offshore 25ft and smaller?

Old 11-30-2008, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im happy to explain anything to anyone asks me to.

I believe if one reads the whole thread from beginning to end - I make some pretty good points about what has actually changed in the last 20 years and posted 3rd party evidence to its effectiveness.

I make the point myself much earlier in the thread that "discussion" is what this is about.

People following and responding to a live thread for days then all of the sudden not being able to understand the very same poster anymore is a well known way to deflect a losing position in the discussion.

Actually I like several builders, and have my favorites on the West and the East coast- there are a lot of competent builders out there.

Dont misquote me- I never said boats dont last 20 years. I said a race layup is a liability in a product designed for 15-20 year.

I read through your entire forum. I like the fact that you are into your boat and have steadily built on it since buying it

However-

You posted three pictures in 6/2006 - and then no other picts from you in that same thread for the next 2 years till your last post on 11/5/08 Lots of animated faces & dancing beans or whatever they are though.

Am I reading the right thread? Id like to see your mods.

I hope you've gotten the steering over to full hydraulic and have a new drive before you drop in a Gellner 1000 + HP engine.

"Uncle Dave"

Laveycraft 2750 Ilmor 710
Laveycraft 20.8 Sebring 406 SB
Old 11-30-2008, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey I just checked out your lavey thread yeap you got more pics than me gee I thought your lavey would be foam cored not old balsa like mine was 20yrs ago, mods well right now its got a RIED 670HP motor 30'' k planes full hydualic steering custom steering wheel with matching throttles gauges color red, racing bolsters with the wrap in out seat that goes around your gut, set up to sit or stand. more for sit now ,new custom out drive with 2'' shortie and other goodies making custom back seat since we are changing bulkhead design and adding some in the cabin. everything is out of the boat now.checking out inside of the boat to make sure it solid if not than fix it.or go joker 28 and use all my new stuff.I did not use the boat after fall 06 which we hit 83.2gps at 6000 ran out of prop.and so thats why no updated pics. I should have the boat back together this spring unless there are more troubles with my stinken knee. but this replacement should be it. and last yr my steering, custom carb, ss lines, drive plus trim, msd stuff and more were stolen so that was a set back. hey when you have not worked in four years and having 5 surgeries it takes longer together done.

Last edited by AIR TIME; 11-30-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:36 PM
Registered

Default Core material and layup-

Originally Posted by AIR TIME
hey I just checked out your lavey thread yeap you got more pics than me gee I thought your lavey would be foam cored not old balsa like mine was 20yrs ago, mods well right now its got a RIED 670HP motor 30'' k planes full hydualic steering custom steering wheel with matching throttles gauges color red, racing bolsters with the wrap in out seat that goes around your gut, set up to sit or stand. more for sit now ,new custom out drive with 2'' shortie and other goodies making custom back seat since we are changing bulkhead design and adding some in the cabin. everything is out of the boat now.checking out inside of the boat to make sure it solid if not than fix it.or go joker 28 and use all my new stuff.I did not use the boat after fall 06 which we hit 83.2gps at 6000 ran out of prop.and so thats why no updated pics. I should have the boat back together this spring unless there are more troubles with my stinken knee. but this replacement should be it. and last yr my steering, custom carb, ss lines, drive plus trim, msd stuff and more were stolen so that was a set back. hey when you have not worked in four years and having 5 surgeries it takes longer together done.

I'm not sure who's using foam- does it have the compression strength that balsa has? but its probably very light for sure.

Regardless of the core material- its the vacuum bag technique that makes the hull stronger and lighter than a comparable length hand laid hull. (of course a single all aluminum engine doesnt hurt either)

The vacuum bag technique is superior to the older style hand layup regardless of the core material.

This technique is one of the few innovations to hit our industry and hulls that use this process are lighter and stronger than the same hulls that do not. Its this process thats available in many 24-25 foot boats today that should give them a tiny edge over their non-vac bagged competitors.

We hit on this earlier in the thread.

Only the resin infusion technique produces a lighter hull.

Bummer about the work and surgeries hope you have a better year.

"Uncle Dave"

Old 12-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Registered

I like my 1980 Formula F233 long deck. In the process of renovating her (Again) from the stringers up. Plan to put either a 300hp outboard or a pair of 200hp outboards. whatever my pocket can take at the time. Looking more for reliability than speed
Old 12-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Registered

I think for no wood boats DONZI is one there are a few. vb has been around for about 10yrs which is lighter less resin. My boat built 8ft beam 24ft 36''freeboard big 24 weight was 4000lbs. Mr. v8 outboard helped me lighten it up in 96 with a one piece pro stock scoop built around a light weight baltex engine cover weights 35lbs, was 250lbs. back seat was 250lbs new will be lighter. so the old girl might weight 3600 to 3800lbs by the time I am done. paint will be a fellow that did some OUTERLIMITS before they subbed it out to the guy inmid west now. He did KNOT RIGHT 46 turbine skater EGO GRAFIXS painting the guy is the balls. Go to skater 101 you can see the paint and change from 572blowers to turbines plus paint. That boat screams we got caught in the rain at 137mph slowed to 65mph coming into the boat ramp it was funny as hell having bumps from rain haa hah. hey 26ft T B BY STEVE STEPP is a nice boat to lots of cabin space and standing in the cockpit is deep AT 25 TOO.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Registered

I have to say i love my scout
Old 12-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

When I first saw this thread I thought great. Just what I've
been looking for. But the thread quickly took on a nostalgia
flavor much to my chagrin. It seems that only Baja caters
to the single guy market. My perfect boat would be 23-25ft
with a big engine, big basic cuddy (no bathrooms, cook
stoves, sinks, chairs, or other useless fluff), and a big stereo.
When I saw pics of the 25 Active Thunder I thought I found
my next boat. Unfortunately they stopped making them years
ago. What current models fit this wish list? I don't think I
would be happy with a 7ft beam. I have been spoiled by my
Cobalt's wide 8ft 6in beam.

Last edited by dbkski; 12-07-2008 at 03:53 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:02 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by dbkski
Cobalt's wide beam.
CHECKMATE

They are going to introduce a brand new model at the Miami show.

They also have a sweet 28 with single or twins!
Old 12-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Registered

Cobalt's wide beam.
the baja 24, 25 new 26 all have 8ft beam or more ,velocity makes a 26 with a nice cabin theres a 94 TB velocity 26 with a new blower motor in the classifieds that has a nice cabin. and the CMs that doc is talking about too.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:58 PM
Registered

Default Yeah I know what you mean.

Cobalt's wide beam.

I get it.

Id look at your dilemma a couple of ways.

You can go factory - or you can go custom.
Then you can go East, or West coast in each category.

If it were me Id go custom- too many reasons to list but getting the exact cabin colors and engine you want vs what the factory chose is are my main reasons.

If I were going East in the V custom 24-25ft range Id go with a Pantera- Joe will build you a hell of a ride, buts its just a bit shy of 8 feet in the beam.

If I were going West in the same length - I'd go with LaveyCraft-Jeff will build you a hell of a ride. Its got an 8.2 beam and like Pantera you can get it anyway you want it.

East Coast builders generally use paint and bolt on swimsteps
West Coast builders generally use gelcoat color and mold in the swimstep.

Either of these brands will provide maximum value and last the length of your loan and actually have resale value left over.

These are both "no excuses" products.

Cobalt is certainly a great factory boat one of the best, but these 2 products provide a radically different experience than what you are used to.

I'm sure we'd love to live vicariously through your next boat purchase.

"Uncle Dave"

Quick Reply: Favorite Offshore 25ft and smaller?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.