Check out these IKE pics... >

Check out these IKE pics...

Notices

Check out these IKE pics...

Old 09-21-2008, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedDog382
Not talking about the old stuff. I'm looking at the brand new high dollar Donzi's laying on the ground and AT LEAST three empty trailers there that would have temporarily accommodated a 5-10 mile trip away from the coast or to a warehouse somewhere.
I was figuring those empty trailers weren't empty before the storm. But who knows.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Donzi38ZXXX
The MANDATORY evacuation came pretty close to the last minute.

So you are saying that no one noticed (on every channel on the planet) this twisting symbol POSSIBLY approaching the coast of Texas for at least a week prior to a MANDATORY evacuation.

We have noreaster's hit every year and damage to our piers every year, however, no government official has to tell me when it MAY be a good idea to take my water toys out to a safer haven - just in case.

All insurance rates will continue to go higher - even though yours may be higher than mine.

I do have compassion for all those people - its devastating!!! - - and I am sure you are right that they had higher priorities on their mind when the evacuation came.

All of you guys who second guess a decision and play armchair quarterback amaze me.You are all perfect. Within several hours we went from no evac to mandatory. You don't have time to think let alone worry about a toy. Your first priority is your family. We have been playing dodgeball with hurricanes all summer. I think this is # 3 or 4 that potentially could have headed our way. You prepare as best you can. We all saw it coming and no one had to tell us to pull our toys. We just didn't know where it was going. 100 miles one way or the other is the difference between damage (Ike) and no damage (Gustav & Rita). I am glad I had time to get my boat out. Many didn't, we all work for a living and many are in jobs that they can't leave to go worry about their toys. Many are engineers, Nasa and oil, and in the medical field. Do you think they will abandon their jobs to go pull a boat? These boats are a small reminder of what happened. The destruction is unbelievable. Within a mile of my house is an area of Seabrook that is totally gone or flooded to the rooftops and yet our homes suffered minor damage. These people lost everything, including the residents of Bolivar Penn. and Galveston. Kind of puts things in perspective, at least to me. Sorry about you insurance rates.

Yes, there were a few that we know about that left their boats, cars, jet skis, etc. to get the insurance. These people suck.

Tommy, sorry to hear about your house.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:41 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by gerritm
All of you guys who second guess a decision and play armchair quarterback amaze me.You are all perfect. Within several hours we went from no evac to mandatory. You don't have time to think let alone worry about a toy. Your first priority is your family. We have been playing dodgeball with hurricanes all summer. I think this is # 3 or 4 that potentially could have headed our way. You prepare as best you can. We all saw it coming and no one had to tell us to pull our toys. We just didn't know where it was going. 100 miles one way or the other is the difference between damage (Ike) and no damage (Gustav & Rita). I am glad I had time to get my boat out. Many didn't, we all work for a living and many are in jobs that they can't leave to go worry about their toys. Many are engineers, Nasa and oil, and in the medical field. Do you think they will abandon their jobs to go pull a boat? These boats are a small reminder of what happened. The destruction is unbelievable. Within a mile of my house is an area of Seabrook that is totally gone or flooded to the rooftops and yet our homes suffered minor damage. These people lost everything, including the residents of Bolivar Penn. and Galveston. Kind of puts things in perspective, at least to me. Sorry about you insurance rates.

Yes, there were a few that we know about that left their boats, cars, jet skis, etc. to get the insurance. These people suck.

Tommy, sorry to hear about your house.
G,
Well spoken. Hope you fared as well as possible. Looking at the weather underground website this morning, "Invest 93" is a New tropical disturbance that brewing in the tropics, and the computer models AT THIS TIME have it headed ANYWHERE from NC up to Maryland, so we'll see how well these know-it-alls up north handle it! I'm assuming they are going to pull their boats TODAY, you know, blow off work, school whatever and get that boat off the lift NOW!! I mean you've got a week's notice, what are you waiting for????
Not that I'm wishing a hurricane on anyone, but this might be their chance to show us dumba$$ southerns how to do it...

And to Donzi 38xxx,
Most all of the noreasters hit in the wintertime, so you have probobly already taken your water toys off their lifts to winterize them, so give me a break about that BS.
Once again, it's all about priorities, 1st family, 2nd house, and 3rd the boats. If you don't like how much your insurance is on your boat, don't pay it. I don't HAVE to buy boat ins.on our boats, our toys are payed for, but I keep insurance for liability reasons mainly. So unless you have it financed, then I guess you have to buy ins....
Dean

Last edited by Dean Ferry; 09-22-2008 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DONZI
You have too feel sad for the people that put their heart & soul into some of these boats like this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CARY-...spagenameZWDVW
I went and looked at that boat yesterday. I could be wrong but I do not believe it was a cherry before the storm... Looked like it had issues before. My.02.. It could be a great project.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Also, the day before the mandatory evacuation, Ike was headed to the Texas - Mexico border - A lllooonnnggg way away from here. So, what have I learned? The weather experts posting their single path lines of where a hurricane is headed don't know chit and shouldn't post with such certainty like they have been doing.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shawn D
I was figuring those empty trailers weren't empty before the storm. But who knows.
No question of life, family, and friends first in a situation like this.

I did not intend to offend, second-guess, or criticize anyone with my inquiry. Just looking for some insight into the devastation in the photos and trying to learn from what I see. Why are some boats literally unscathed while others on the very same lot are damaged. What would be the best thing to do if faced with a similar situation ...?

Would tie-down straps have helped ...?

Would 5 miles inland make a difference ...?

Last edited by RedDog382; 09-22-2008 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:24 AM
Registered

Default no donzi

Originally Posted by db71
I wonder what if that is a Donzi with its nose sticking out of the water? Or if it is something different I would probably take my chances on that zx sitting on the ground for the right price.

that is my 91 scarab viper
Old 09-22-2008, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DONZI
You have too feel sad for the people that put their heart & soul into some of these boats like this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CARY-...spagenameZWDVW
Ad has expired. Anyone have a screen shot?
Old 09-22-2008, 11:32 AM
Registered

it didn't expire, it was removed
Old 09-22-2008, 11:33 AM
Social Distortion
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=300260710798
Attached Thumbnails Check out these IKE pics...-cary.jpg  

Quick Reply: Check out these IKE pics...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.