Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Need some help, whats it really worth? >

Need some help, whats it really worth?

Notices

Need some help, whats it really worth?

Old 09-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help, whats it really worth?

Alright guys, need some help. Ive decided to put my boat up for sale. I put an ad or two out there and I think I priced it a little to high for what the market will bring right now. I just had the motor done top to bottom and priced it a little higher trying to possibly recoup some of the money I have in the motor.
Anyway, its a 1992 Baja Outlaw, 24 foot. Fresh 454 mag top to bottom built by a Baja dealer with about 6 hours run time on it if that, with all receipts. I was told it should be around 425 horse. Bravo one w/ ss 4blade, Corsa silent choice, Sony and Bose audio, Standard Horizons gps, 1993 Float On trailer, and all accessories. Boat is not in perfect condidtion , but very nice for the year. Has a few minor wear and tear blemmishes, but overall good condition. What can I realistically expect to get in this market? Also, in the southern states, do boat sales keep going year round, or do they start dying off just like up north? Thanks for the help.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

IMO, 16-20k depending on condition and colors.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Registered

wow, you can buy a nice 30 foot twin for 16-20k right now. I was thinking 8-10 for a 16 year old 24 ft Baja. And Im not sure that will sell at that price.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
IMO, 16-20k depending on condition and colors.
Thats what I originally had thought and tried it at 20, and got very little response. I guess I was hoping for a bit more out of it with the motor work and all. Any idea about boat sales down south? The season up north has pretty much ended, so I thought about trying down south and see what happens.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:54 PM
Registered

You'll have to price it aggressively if you want to move it. Given what's going on in the markets right now, your average dude with some extra cash on the side looking for that boat just doesn't exist. If he does exist somewhere, he's cross shopping that boat with something newer or longer or ___. You have to differentiate your boat through its condition, options, or price in order to sell it. The fresh engine receipts help but that is likely not enough to close a deal on.

More and more people will be focusing on liquidity thru the end of the year, which means they're going to hang on to cash. The alternative is to keep it until things turn around but you'll have to factor in your storage and insurance costs during that undetermined length of time.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:14 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replies guys, just trying to get an idea of where I stand, and wether or not to try again this season, or wait till spring.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:35 PM
Registered

Just as an example I sold my 2003 21' cuddy + trailer back in July. It had 1.5 years of Merc warranty left on it and 125 hours. No issues, excellent condition, all receipts since new. I completely rebuilt the brakes on the trailer this spring. I put my asking price below all 32 other boats like it nationwide on boattrader +/- 1 year. Within the first week I had:

5 emails - 1 pic collector, 2 sight unseen lowballs below 50% of ask, 1 scammer, and 1 weirdo asking if it "had any odors"

3 phone calls - 1 being the end buyer, 1 guy who I agreed to a price with over the phone with who never set up a time to see it or close, and 1 guy who made an appointment to see and never showed

After 10 days all activity stopped. During the time the boat was being surveyed I received no calls. Boat ended up selling for 10% less than ask which was what I wanted to get out of it at minimum. Based on the buyer and surveyor comments the condition and warranty were what sold it.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

$15-20K, $14 to move it fast.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater

Sorry, cant post pics without being a paying member. Thanks for the response. Im guessing its just not moving due to the time of season. Guess Ill try in the spring and see where it goes.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater

I agree. Bad market and bad time of the year, and a tough price range to sell in.

Quick Reply: Need some help, whats it really worth?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.