Notices

Waste Tank?

Old 09-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Waste Tank?

I've never owned a boat with a head. I want to make sure the tank is clean. How do they pump it out? I was thinking of a bleach water mix and pump it out with a wet vac. The hose is about 1" 1/2 with a bend a few inches down. I tried a piece of garden hose and can't get around the bend. I have never seen it done at a marina. Thanks, Doug
Old 09-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doug,

You should have a pump out station on the water or by the fuel dock. It usually takes 1.00 in quarters. Unscrew the cap and insert the head of the hose in the hole. You don't need to turn it on full blast at first though. Turn it about halfway on to let the pressure build up then you can turn the handle all the way on. I don't recommend bleach. Go to walmart or an RV dealer and get a holding tank mixture then pour a bit down your toilet. Hope this helps.

Donnie
Old 09-20-2008, 12:45 PM
Registered

Thanks Donnie, So the pump out station is pure suction at the tank fitting? It's not a hose that goes down into the tank? I don't want to put anything in the tank untill I know I can get it out, because I'm not near a pump out station. Doug
Old 09-20-2008, 04:45 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Yes, it emptied from a hose and just sucks everything out. The hose just connects to the fitting on your boat.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:52 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

The pump out station at our marina has a conical shaped rubber end that fits inside the opening of waste tank deck fitting, and creates a vacuum tight junction. The boat has a tube that goes from the deck fitting to the bottom of the tank. First turn on the pump at the dock, with the valve at the end of the hose closed. Place the rubber end into your waste fitting, and open the valve slowly. When you apply vacuum by opening the valve, it just sucks out the waste. If there isn't much in there, you might want to add some water first. There is a clear section of pipe ahead of the valve, so you can see when the tank is empty. When there is no more flow close the valve. Fill a 5 gallon bucket with water, and then suck the contents with the hose just as you did your waste tank to clean out the hose. Close the valve, gently release the hose from the fitting (can spit back if done suddenly), turn off the pump, and coil and rehang the hose on the supports. Put your deck fitting cap back on. That's it! The whole process only takes a couple minutes, and personally, I would rather pump out a waste tank, than deal with a porta-potty.

It is also recommended to use marine toilet paper available at boating stores, as it falls apart faster for easier pump out, and has less chance of clogging the boat's plumbing.

The marine stores carry some enzyme based products for keeping the tank from smelling later.

Michael
Old 09-21-2008, 07:29 AM
Registered

Thanks, I wasn't sure if the line on the deck fitting went to the top or the bottom of the tank. How about winterization,empty and pour some non-toxic a/f in? Thanks again, Doug
Old 09-21-2008, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by outriggers
Thanks, I wasn't sure if the line on the deck fitting went to the top or the bottom of the tank. How about winterization,empty and pour some non-toxic a/f in? Thanks again, Doug
Put Marine/RV anti freeze in the water tank and run it through all the lines until the water flows pink. Drain the tank first of course. Don't forget the transom shower if you have one. Flush the toilet until same. Then you are good to go for winter.

Last edited by Macklin; 09-21-2008 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:35 AM
Registered

I think the head uses sea/lake water to flush into the waste tank. There is a valve then a strainer with a thru-hull fitting under the valve. I will have to pump RV anti-freeze from the valve up. The sink appears to have its own fresh water tank. Thanks for the help, Doug
Old 09-21-2008, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by outriggers
I think the head uses sea/lake water to flush into the waste tank. There is a valve then a strainer with a thru-hull fitting under the valve. I will have to pump RV anti-freeze from the valve up. The sink appears to have its own fresh water tank. Thanks for the help, Doug
Never heard of that! It's more likely that you have a macerator for overboard dumping of the holding tank. Easy way to find out is to put antifreeze or some food coloring in the water tank and see if it shows up in the toilet.

Do you have a switch labeled 'Macerator'?

Last edited by Macklin; 09-21-2008 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Actually, that is very common to have a thru-hull which picks up water for the head (toilet). That way there is no need to waste a limited supply of fresh water from the water tank flushing the head.

I'm afraid I don't have much knowledge on winterizing your head, since it doesn't freeze here. I would image you could just remove the hose from the thru-hull, dunk the end in a bucket of anti-freeze, and pump it through the head.

Michael

Last edited by Michael1; 09-22-2008 at 09:54 PM.