Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Help with a collection - the legal way :) >

Help with a collection - the legal way :)

Notices

Help with a collection - the legal way :)

Old 09-24-2008, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbam
Big thanks guys- Chris that is very helpful. I might just try it.
call cj ......he will get results........m.m....what up marc...
Old 09-24-2008, 06:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveP
I like the old fashioned way.....the Jersey / NY / Chicago way like we helped Ed Cozzi last time

Ed got his money 3 days later!
That was funny. I called him and asked to set up an appointment to come by and pick up the funds. He got kinda nervous.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:28 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

You guys were stellar in that transaction. That guy jacked me around for almost a year!
Old 09-24-2008, 06:50 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

I'm going to try and see if the account is live first, then go from there.

Anyone know if there is any kind of statutory limit on when a check has to be presented versus the issue date?

Hey Mark, plugging away. All OK - yourself? KW this year?
Old 09-25-2008, 07:43 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

180 days correct?
Old 09-25-2008, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
You guys were stellar in that transaction. That guy jacked me around for almost a year!
I think he is still changing his underwear hourly
Old 09-25-2008, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default three steps

Originally Posted by DaveP
I like the old fashioned way.....the Jersey / NY / Chicago way like we helped Ed Cozzi last time

Ed got his money 3 days later!
Three steps -

I would try what Sunkin is recommending and see if you can get the check to clear that way.

Having grown up there... The "Chicago" /NJ/NY way is the next best thing.Sounds like you have some friends for this program

Send it to a bill collection agency and settle for 10-30cents in the dollar. this will allow you to do 2 things.
A. write it off legally as bad debt. (in most states this is the step needed to do that)
B. Have peace of mind that this guys credit will be ruined (collection companies are good at that) and that we will be continuously harassed by a fleet of a-holes till the end of time till he makes good.

Uncle Dave

Laveycraft 2750 Ilmor-710
Laveycraft 20.8 Sebring 406 SB
Fleetwood nitrous toy hauler
Yamaha raptor 700/Kawi KFX 450
Nissan Titan
Old 09-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mbam
Anybody on the west coast of FL want to handle a small collection (legally) for a fee? Of course small is relative, original amount is less than $6K. No dispute as to the debt, merchandise, etc. Just has not been paid.

Actually was not supposed to be a credit transaction in the first place, but to save COD fees I sometimes allow established customers to fax us a check at which point we ship the goods. The premise is that the check is then mailed. Unfortunately we either never received it or lost it here. Hard to say, but this is the only time this has happened to us - ever.

It's been 2 years, I think I have been patient.

What city is this in?

I can show up all 6'8" and ask "politely" if needed.

I do bank foreclosure sales and the approach should be a walk in the park, black jeep cherokee with full tint, pepper spray in pocket, etc.

Sounds like fun.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

[QUOTE=Uncle Dave;2697066]Three steps -

I would try what Sunkin is recommending and see if you can get the check to clear that way.

Having grown up there... The "Chicago" /NJ/NY way is the next best thing.Sounds like you have some friends for this program

Send it to a bill collection agency and settle for 10-30cents in the dollar. this will allow you to do 2 things.
A. write it off legally as bad debt. (in most states this is the step needed to do that)
B. Have peace of mind that this guys credit will be ruined (collection companies are good at that) and that we will be continuously harassed by a fleet of a-holes till the end of time till he makes good.

Uncle Dave

Remind your customer that if you write off any of it that you will be filing a 1099 with Uncle Sam, so whatever they screw you out of gets treated as ordinary income, and they get to think about the audit that this red flag may raise. It has worked for me several times.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:30 PM
Registered

If they faxed you a check with a signature in good faith then they apparently meant to pay. I would deposit it and see if it clears. If it doesn't clear, then they must have been laying for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.