Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Help with a collection - the legal way :) >

Help with a collection - the legal way :)

Notices

Help with a collection - the legal way :)

Old 09-24-2008, 11:00 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Help with a collection - the legal way :)

Anybody on the west coast of FL want to handle a small collection (legally) for a fee? Of course small is relative, original amount is less than $6K. No dispute as to the debt, merchandise, etc. Just has not been paid.

Actually was not supposed to be a credit transaction in the first place, but to save COD fees I sometimes allow established customers to fax us a check at which point we ship the goods. The premise is that the check is then mailed. Unfortunately we either never received it or lost it here. Hard to say, but this is the only time this has happened to us - ever.

It's been 2 years, I think I have been patient.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do a check draft and debit it from their account. We take checks via fax all the time.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm just North of Tampa.. What's the scoop.. I don't mind helping you out.. (besides.. BAM owes me a small credit)

PM the info.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Chris, I asked my banker about that & he had no idea. I thought that would be a good way to do it. Is it legal if not specifically authorized? Of course I don’t even know if the account is still live or has funds.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like it would be stale-dated.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:03 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbam
Chris, I asked my banker about that & he had no idea. I thought that would be a good way to do it. Is it legal if not specifically authorized? Of course I don’t even know if the account is still live or has funds.
I used to take checks over the phone/fax. I have a check writing software that fills in the blanks and I go right to the bank and deposit it.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:05 PM

He faxed you a check. I wouldn't see why not. It might be semi-legal. It would be easier if you had been taking check drafts prior to doing it.

Check here on legalities-

http://www.checkcomposer.com/Downloa...Compliance.pdf

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...-tyc7&ei=UTF-8
Old 09-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Big thanks guys- Chris that is very helpful. I might just try it. One could certainly make the argument that faxing the check is consent.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:54 PM

Look at that same website I linked on the new "Check 21" laws. http://www.checkcomposer.com/Check21.aspx They allow for an electronic facsimile of a check to be provided in lieu of a paper check. Then call someone at your bank in their central check-processing operation (branch guys are usually uninformed on this stuff) and see about getting set up on electronic check processing. We do it here and you get paid immediately. I forgot to mail my cel bill last week so I dropped it off at the local Sprint office that night. They took the check and scanned the MICR numbers at the bottom, then handed it back to me. He said he can keypunch them too. I know for sure you could legally do that.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the old fashioned way.....the Jersey / NY / Chicago way like we helped Ed Cozzi last time

Ed got his money 3 days later!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.