New Cummins/Mercruiser Project

Notices

New Cummins/Mercruiser Project

Old 10-04-2008, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Cost versus Benefit?

Shueman:

Hats off to Eliminator and your deep pocket customer who's bankrolling this project. It will be interesting to see if the trannies and NXT drives can take the torque and survive.
The real problem in performance boats with high performance diesel power will be costs versus benefit.
Would you give us thread readers a rough ball park of what this boat is going to cost the owner when finished, it will probably make most performance boaters reading these threads fall out of their chair!
If and when the truck and automotive industry come up with lighter more cost effective diesels there will may be a place in the industry for performance diesel boats. In the mean time its just a very select few who will want to step up for the huge dollars it takes to make these boats a production reality. Glad someone is going deep into their wallet here, it becomes a wealth of information for the rest of the industry on how it may become a production reality!

Keep the info info coming as well as some facts like the weight of the engines and such, and of course the approximate price realm of this beauty!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 10-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stirling
I did a search hee on OSO on Yanmar 440 ,and read all post about it ,Supertermoli (OSO member)mentioned just turn up the fuel in one of his post ,he had a boat with four Yanmar 440,s.
I did go with the pulsedrive because it was a good price for the unit ,and I liked the platform above the propellors /shafts .

If I had not bought the Pulsedrive unit ,I would probably had used a set Arnesons .

The year of the hull is 2000,it is a lightweigh poker run edition and is all empty in front ,however I am busy with adding a small head/ and galley in front with a fridge .

The weight I expect is just a rough guess,I bought this hull with no engine /drives ,completely stripped from a theft recovery,it was a triple engine boat ,and I reconfigurate is to a twin engine stringer boat ,during the whole process of fiberglassing I found the stringers are made from balsapanels 2 x 3/4 inch thick glued together with epoxy and fiberglassed into the hull,the engine room has stringers from plywood 1 1/2 inch thick glassed in .
All the floors ,bulkheads ,reinforcements throughout the whole boat is made from balsapanels glassed in with bi/tri axial glass.
I could imazine this boat could not weigh that heavy ,by looking at the thickness of the fiberglass that is been used on the outerskin ,and innerskin on top of the balsa .
A rough guess would be 4500 lbs for the bare hull only .
The whole hull and deck is sandwich balsa tri /bi ax fiberglass
I found a few poker run editions on the internet ,some said they would weigh 9500 lbs with twin 500 hp big blocks with bravo 1 ,s .
The Yanmars are 1200 lbs each ,and the zf 2 speed 150 lbs a piece ,so roughly 3000 lbs for engine/trans the pulsedrive was 500 lbs complete if I remember .

So with fuel/batteries /all the other parts thats needed I came to +- 10500 lbs weight ,but I could be completely wrong ....

I,m located in Europe /Netherlands

Just curious what will happen if I turn the fuel up ? will the EGT,s be too high ? My idea was to run both engines with pyro,s permanently to keep an eye on things (even when stock output)

thanks for input

A.J
you don't want to leave the temp probes in permantly, they will most likely eventually burn up and send pieces of metal through your turbos. Once you get them set pull the temp senders out. I can say that we turned the engines up a bit with the fuel screw, but you can also turn up the no load rpm which is supposed to help with mid range acceleration, as well as give you more rpm to play with. What temp were you told was ok to run the engines at?
Old 10-05-2008, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do I lay down my bet?

Originally Posted by Raylar
Shueman:

Hats off to Eliminator and your deep pocket customer who's bankrolling this project. It will be interesting to see if the trannies and NXT drives can take the torque and survive.
The real problem in performance boats with high performance diesel power will be costs versus benefit.
Would you give us thread readers a rough ball park of what this boat is going to cost the owner when finished, it will probably make most performance boaters reading these threads fall out of their chair!
If and when the truck and automotive industry come up with lighter more cost effective diesels there will may be a place in the industry for performance diesel boats. In the mean time its just a very select few who will want to step up for the huge dollars it takes to make these boats a production reality. Glad someone is going deep into their wallet here, it becomes a wealth of information for the rest of the industry on how it may become a production reality!

Keep the info info coming as well as some facts like the weight of the engines and such, and of course the approximate price realm of this beauty!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Lets see...... Cummins QSB 5.9 480hp has 940 ftlbs of torque output and the NXT input torque is rated to 800 ftlbs. Ray you holding the pool on how fast it breaks? I would've gone with 6s they can handle more input torque than the QSB has.

Keep the dirty side down
Ed
Old 10-05-2008, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by shueman
Started the rigging this past week... The Cummins really fill up the engine bay...
Dude,
It's looking great! But I think it would've looked even better if you had the heat exchangers chromed
Old 10-05-2008, 01:40 AM

Default Whoa!!!

Originally Posted by obrien
you don't want to leave the temp probes in permantly, they will most likely eventually burn up and send pieces of metal through your turbos. Once you get them set pull the temp senders out. I can say that we turned the engines up a bit with the fuel screw, but you can also turn up the no load rpm which is supposed to help with mid range acceleration, as well as give you more rpm to play with. What temp were you told was ok to run the engines at?
First! the normal position of a pyrometer is on the outlet side of the turbo in the event of a failure nothing goes through the turbo.
Second! pyrometer probes can handle temperatures of over 1500F. If it ever got hot enough to destroy the probe the engine would've had a meltdown first.
Third! diesel engines are real easy to destroy by over boosting or over loading. That is why a pyrometer is just about always installed. The pyrometer will give you a heads up before anything else that your heading for something bad.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:38 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

O Brien

I havent found much info about the max temp range for the 440,s , What temp did you have on the 440,s ?

Were the 440,s you used then ,relaiable ?
Did you broke stuff ?

What rpm did you run for long periods ?

thx A.J
Old 10-05-2008, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 29Firefox
First! the normal position of a pyrometer is on the outlet side of the turbo in the event of a failure nothing goes through the turbo.
Second! pyrometer probes can handle temperatures of over 1500F. If it ever got hot enough to destroy the probe the engine would've had a meltdown first.
Third! diesel engines are real easy to destroy by over boosting or over loading. That is why a pyrometer is just about always installed. The pyrometer will give you a heads up before anything else that your heading for something bad.
You beat me to this, couldn't say it better myself - good catch as always!
Old 10-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

On my old Ford F 250 ,I repaced the probe from after the turbo to pre turbo ,and saw a 250 degrees difference in temp
Before the turbo its a little hotter,its not something to overlook when on the edge.
The bolt that can be removed to install the pyro on my Yanmars are pre turbo as well.

I run the probes in my outboards powered catamaran also all the time ,and I have never lost a piece probe .
Even when I had a #5 cilinder meltdown and the piston came out the exhaust port in liquid form the molten ali sat into the exhaust port right on top of the probe .
Old 10-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Registered

how about a pre and a post turbo gauge?
Old 10-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Registered

And whatever became of the Eliminator/Audi diesel program?

Quick Reply: New Cummins/Mercruiser Project

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.